T-34/76 Info

SJLR_1

Hi

Just wondering if any T-34 crews ever stored spare wheels/road tyres/drive sprockets (etc.) on the outside of their tanks.

Like so:

P1250719_zpsb4kvzecq.jpg

Also, I was wondering if Tamiya XF-26 Deep Green or XF-61 Dark Green would be the closest match to a real T-34.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by SJLR_1

No idea about the colour query, but the question on the spare road wheels is interesting. I don't recall seeing such a thing, and a quick google image search on period photos also comes up empty.

When I think about it, those road wheels do look heavy. So probably not practical to store them as it would take considerable strength to man handle them.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

No idea about the colour query, but the question on the spare road wheels is interesting. I don't recall seeing such a thing, and a quick google image search on period photos also comes up empty.

When I think about it, those road wheels do look heavy. So probably not practical to store them as it would take considerable strength to man handle them.

regards,

Jack

Yes, I did have a look on google and turned up empty, and they do look quite heavy :P

Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

I have never seen a photo or a mentioning of Soviet tanks carrying spare wheels like that. The common sense tells me it is a logistically pointless exercise...

In my view the answer to that question will be "no"

The mix guide for 4BO using Tamiya is here http://postimg.cc/image/14z1pj8uc/ - if you try it, Good Luck, but I would strongly recommend just take a Vallejo offering. According to Russian fora it is the closest to AKAN.

Having written above, in my time I spend a lot of time around 4bo painted objects (and painted many myself) I would not be too concerned about matching the hues too much... the shades differed so much... to my eye humbrol 150 is a very good representation of 4BO after some time in the field.

I have never seen a photo or a mentioning of Soviet tanks carrying spare wheels like that. The common sense tells me it is a logistically pointless exercise...

In my view the answer to that question will be "no"

The mix guide for 4BO using Tamiya is here http://postimg.cc/image/14z1pj8uc/ - if you try it, Good Luck, but I would strongly recommend just take a Vallejo offering. According to Russian fora it is the closest to AKAN.

Having written above, in my time I spend a lot of time around 4bo painted objects (and painted many myself) I would not be too concerned about matching the hues too much... the shades differed so much... to my eye humbrol 150 is a very good representation of 4BO after some time in the field.

Thanks for the tips! Will have a look at the site.

Can't help with your questions but just wanted to say that's a cracking avatar.

Thanks! :winkgrin:

i have a few T-34 books, i do not recall seeing one with spare wheels. Some of their KVs would even run around missing a wheel or two. They built so many, keep making new ones, when one breaks, replace the tank?

• Like 1

i have a few T-34 books, i do not recall seeing one with spare wheels. Some of their KVs would even run around missing a wheel or two. They built so many, keep making new ones, when one breaks, replace the tank?

Haha, thanks!