1:72 AW Argosy - Mach 2

Rob P

Not really my area of interest - but how about sawing off the bottom of the fuselage below the cockpit - to make it into a detachable cargo pod, like the USAF XC-120 Pack Plane.......

XC-120%20016.jpg

Jack up windscreen, replace airframe. It would be easier than trying to convert from a Mach 2.

Not many kit's 'grab' me, but I started this Argosy and I can't put it down! Typical Mach2 plastic, but I'm going to call this a Mach2+ kit, it's far better than the Savages I'm building and a joy to build! No build thread but can add photos here from time to time if anyone wants to see progress?

Now, what else are Mach2 planning on doing!? :D

• Like 1

For interest's sake, here's the completed one on the stand at Telford. Having gone to Cosford this week and peered at XP411, I'm minded to think that the "hump" at the top of the cargo doors is a little over-buxom(!), but otherwise this looks like a surprisingly solid effort.#

23071509621_86bdab2f8d_o.jpg

Edited by Vulcanicity
  • Like 8

Will get some photos up Kev when I get a minute.

I'm popping to Cosford soon to have a look at a few things, depending how anal you are, there are some bits missing and need correcting (to my eye) but nothing to major, I'm still enjoying this build.... Might even have it done before I go to Malta on the 15th Dec! :)

• Like 1

I'm popping to Cosford soon to have a look at a few things, depending how anal you are, there are some bits missing and need correcting (to my eye) but nothing to major, I'm still enjoying this build.... Might even have it done before I go to Malta on the 15th Dec! :)

Radleigh how good bad is it fit wise. I for one would really love an Argosy but been put off te brand after hearing anguished cries from people doing their Valiant.

Is it worth the money ?

• Like 2

Worth the money yes, half the price of the resin Magna offering, and a lot better (IMO). My pros and cons...

Pros -

- Panel lines are nice and even,

- Overall, shape looks good,

- IM plastic,

- Price against Magna

- Decals look good

Cons -

- Fit isn't great but better than previous kits, so if you are used to building Mach2 it's not really a con.

- Clear parts need a buff but again better than older Mach2 kits, ditto above. (might even get fixed dipped in Klear...)

- Some detail is a bit lost (wheels mainly) but with the right tools can be made nice.

- Uneven plastic and no tabs makes it harder for a nice smooth join, (I've fitted long strips along the seams and the fit isn't bad, just take time doing this as the plastic is different thicknesses).

- Poor instructions but a fairly simple kit to compensate.

So, basically if you have a few harder kits or lots of kits under your belt this kit should be no problem, I have very little kits under my belt but I have a lot of patience and as I said I'm really enjoying it.

One thing I will say, the engine necalle looks to pinched when joined to the boom, so this may need correcting if it's your sort of thing, the main gear legs also look to thin, but with some detailling should bulk them up a bit, this is just an observation from my eyes and photos, it doesn't bother me much but it may someone.... Also no interior except a basic cockpit, doesn't bother me one bit as I'm closing it all up, but someone who would want the rear cargo doors open would have to scratch build the whole interior.

I've got both booms built, fuselage butted up and wings built, so once I'm happy with them I will take some photos and get them up. :)

• Like 4

Worth the money yes, half the price of the resin Magna offering, and a lot better (IMO). My pros and cons...

Pros -

- IM plastic,

- Price against Magna

- Decals look good

Cons -

- Fit isn't great but better than previous kits, so if you are used to building Mach2 it's not really a con.

- Clear parts need a buff but again better than older Mach2 kits, ditto above. (might even get fixed dipped in Klear...)

- Some detail is a bit lost (wheels mainly) but with the right tools can be made nice.

- Uneven plastic and no tabs makes it harder for a nice smooth join, (I've fitted long strips along the seams and the fit isn't bad, just take time doing this as the plastic is different thicknesses).

So, basically if you have a few harder kits or lots of kits under your belt this kit should be no problem, I have very little kits under my belt but I have a lot of patience and as I said I'm really enjoying it.

One thing I will say, the engine necalle looks to pinched when joined to the boom, so this may need correcting if it's your sort of thing, the main gear legs also look to thin, but with some detailling should bulk them up a bit, this is just an observation from my eyes and photos, it doesn't bother me much but it may someone.... Also no interior except a basic cockpit, doesn't bother me one bit as I'm closing it all up, but someone who would want the rear cargo doors open would have to scratch build the whole interior.

I've got both booms built, fuselage butted up and wings built, so once I'm happy with them I will take some photos and get them up. :)

You've sold me on it mate thanks :)

Pros -

- IM plastic,

- Price against Magna

- Decals look good

Cons -

Love those two ! :D

On a more serious note, how would you compare the fit of this model to for example the Amodel Be-12 you showed in the WIP section ?

I am getting a walkaround together so If you get some pics can I use them?

You've sold me on it mate thanks :)

;)

Love those two ! :D

On a more serious note, how would you compare the fit of this model to for example the Amodel Be-12 you showed in the WIP section ?

Hmmm, I'd say the Be-12 went together better, but so far this hasn't caused me any major issues... I will let you know once the main parts are fitted up.

Are the props the same as the Vickers Viscount

No idea Kev, I will measure the props when I'm home..

I am getting a walkaround together so If you get some pics can I use them?

You can indeed, just keep reminding me please as I will forget once I've taken them... like the P-1 photos.. Still got a few to do of that too.

• Like 1

Seeing the XC-120 reminded me that the Argosy was intended to have a Colonial Policing role with the capability of dropping 6 x 1000 lb bombs or multiples of smaller bombs carried on blister bomb racks fixed along the lower fuselage chine line. (if you look at the Argosy at Cosford you can see the screwed holes for the blister attachments.)

I have a feeling there may well be a fair few aftermarket bits for this one...I turned down the offer of one for AMW last week, but only on the grounds that I have way too much on right now to add yet another !...mind you I could be persuaded otherwise...over to you Radders... :wicked:

Well they did tests with Bomb racks so that should be close enough excuse for you :winkgrin:

• Like 2

Seeing the XC-120 reminded me that the Argosy was intended to have a Colonial Policing role with the capability of dropping 6 x 1000 lb bombs or multiples of smaller bombs carried on blister bomb racks fixed along the lower fuselage chine line. (if you look at the Argosy at Cosford you can see the screwed holes for the blister attachments.)

That's interesting. Never knew that. So, who is going to be first with an Argosy gunship? External stores, side mounted miniguns & 20mm cannons? If the Yanks could do it with a Herc........................!! :hmmm:

Allan

Can anyone confirm if the plastic is the same in all 4 boxings, i.e. just different decals?

I was told Didier was snipping off the RAF bits for the Civvie boxing's, and snipping off the civvie bits for the RAF boxing's, but I'm not sure how true this is as I have the ELAN boxing and I have all the RAF parts too?

Anyone?

• Like 2

Can anyone confirm if the plastic is the same in all 4 boxings, i.e. just different decals?

I bought the Elan Cargo one and while it has the small and large thimble noses, it only has the rounded civil rear cargo doors.

Gary

• Like 1

I was told Didier was snipping off the RAF bits for the Civvie boxing's, and snipping off the civvie bits for the RAF boxing's, but I'm not sure how true this is as I have the ELAN boxing and I have all the RAF parts too?

Anyone?

Yep. Watched him doing it. Did he give you both sets of tail doors then?

I'll stick with the Airways vac. It's a very nice kit, although I read something about the booms... Must enlarge the plans to check.

But Mach 2 seems to be improving. I inspected the Learjet at my HS and it is clearly better than older kits.

Carlos (with 17 Mach 2 kits on the stash)