P-61A Black Widow, Midnite Madness, Iwo Jima

Hi All,

Not posted for a while, since the old faithful Packard Bell `threw a seven` about three weeks ago. Back up now on the new computer now I`ve got the hang of it (mostly).

Just finished Monograms 1/48 scale Black Widow that I bought at the Hinckley Show in March of a nice bloke called Daryl.

bIjqlFF.jpg

Done as P-61A Midnite Madness of the 548th NFS based at Iwo Jima, April 1945.

AuICcTm.jpg

Built 99% Out Of Two Boxes as I wanted to do one with both engine cowlings the same, as the kit.......

bEnkQR7.jpg

.... gives you one cowling with cooling flaps open and one closed and I wanted to make it a bit different.

GSnbB1P.jpg

So I chopped and grafted the end of one boom onto the other and using the one piece engines had some more space for weights.

vEFvGqj.jpg

Decals were from Print + Scale set 48-035 and were incredibly thin and stretched and rolled up and caused lots of swearing and some hand painting here and there.

SntVFaP.jpg

Otherwise just blanked the wheel wells off, made some seat belts, catches to the open canopy panel and added aerial wires.

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking.

Cheers Russ

• Like 27

Fantastic build Russ looks great. Very nice job on the scheme and finish, the exhaust streaks look great. Out intrest how did you find the build? As got the same kit that plan to strat in the near future??

Thanks Rob, The builds OK, needs a fair bit of filler and sanding, about the same as the A-6 Intruder you did but not as bad as their Marauder. I was lucky with the transparencies as it was an older Monogram issue, some of the recent reissues are starting to show their age.

Cheers Russ

I

Thanks Rob, The builds OK, needs a fair bit of filler and sanding, about the same as the A-6 Intruder you did but not as bad as their Marauder. I was lucky with the transparencies as it was an older Monogram issue, some of the recent reissues are starting to show their age.

Cheers Russ

I did hear was a bit of a filler magnet lol..... I do have same am bits for mine as in etch and some resin...

but your right with some the monogram kits showing there age as trying to do the old 1/48 b-24j took me ages to source decals for it got them and now building it but the nose and tail turret have really bad seam lines that are very noticeable, and cannot hide with frame work!!!! typical no am ones at all....

Edited by batcode

looks good and new, only negative comment I could think of would be adding some paint chipping as P-61's had plenty of wear and tear.

Cheers; re chipping, looking at photo`s I found the ones with a lot of chipping were early post war weather ships, I wanted to do one in fairly good not too shiney condition as even the most weathered aircraft were in good nick at some time. Thanks for looking and commenting though.

Lovely job Russ

In 1/48 this must be a big unit when it's finished.

Never built a monogram kit, do they got together well or does it vary from kit to kit ?

Cheers Pat

Cheers Pat; it varies from kit to kit and also on which reissue is in the box, as I said in Rob`s post above some of the more recent ones, the moulds are showing their age. They`re all buildable still though !