Looking for books on Coastal Command and RAF St Eval

pigsty

Far too late to be doing this, in a sense, but I've realised I don't know enough about Dad's old Command. Can anyone recommend a decent single-volume book about it? Basic criteria:

• must cover the whole period, not just wartime operations. If it went on to 18 Group Strike Command that would be even better
  • as much colour photography as possible
  • as much content as possible without being dust-dry
  • written in English, not just using English words (certain publishers spring to mind ...)

And on a related subject, though not a complete overlap, the history of RAF St Eval has always intrigued me. It was the first place I lived in Cornwall and seems to have had the most amazing variety of units, aircraft and roles in a relatively short period. Any books out there that might meet the criteria above? I know about the series covering RAF airfields in Cornwall (Chris Ashworth?) but am wondering if there's others.

• Like 1

I think Chris Ashworth's "Coastal Command 1936-69" is the only one that fits the bill. 5 or so copies on Abebooks at the moment for £10-20.

As for St Eval, there's an "Airfield Focus" pamphlet on St Eval, by Chris Ashworth as well... currently on sale on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ST-EVAL-AIRFIELD-FOCUS-No-7-RARE-/371458242406?hash=item567ca2f766

bestest,

M.

Edited by cmatthewbacon

Graham Smith's Devon and Cornwall Airfields in the Second World War (Countryside Books, 2000) has 19 pages on St Eval's wartime history. Dennis Teague's Aviation in South West Britain 1909-1979 (Teague White Aeroseries Publications, 1982) has 10.5 pages on it. As you're already aware, Chris Ashworth's Action Stations 5: Military Airfileds of the South West (PSL, 1982) covers it in 6 pages.

I agree with both of the above,........the old `Airfields in Action-South West' might help too? Another good book is the Ian Allen `Coastal Command in Action' by Chaz Bowyer.

Cheers

Tony

Chris Ashworth's book can be found on Amazon for less than a fiver (not including p&p) at the moment, if you don't mind ex-library books. I would say that I don't recall it having that many colour photos, but otherwise it meets your criteria.

• 3 months later...