1/48 - Armstrong-Whitworth F.K.8 "Big Ack" by Copper State Models - released

Homebee

• 2 weeks later...

Test build.
Source: https://www.facebook.com/copperstatemodels/posts/1637471296541623

Hello friends,
Here is a first assambled and hand painted F.K.8 (Limited Edition) by our award winning master Oleg Tuleninov. Just in case, if you didn`t know, the models was built for Telford Show only in 11 evenings after a day job. In usuall
circumstances it would take much more time.
I, personally,love how it looks!

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

Fantastic news! So glad to see a new state of the art WWI aircraft kit in 1/48--especially a 2 seater! I hope this is a massive success for them so they can continue to release other 1/48 WWI kits.

Bravo Copper State! Bravo!

In case anyone missed it, check out the beautiful photos of the forthcoming injection molded Copper State 1/48 Armstrong-Whitworth FK.8 over on the Rumour Monger forum. No release date given, but the built up is to appear at SMW.

This looks like a really nice kit. Maybe time to branch out into WWI modelling ('cos I like odd topics, and the FK8 certainly isn't mainstream). I understand two VCs were won by pilots flying the Big Ack, one by 2Lt Alan Arnett of 2 Sqn RFC on 27 Mar 18 and the second by Capt Ferdinand Maurice Felix West of 8 Sqn RAF on 10 Aug 18. The latter was the third VC won by members of the recently-formed Royal Air Force.

• 7 months later...

Copper State Models 1/48th Armstrong Whitworth F.K.8 "Big Ack" fuselage CAD in progress.
Source: https://www.facebook.com/copperstatemodels/photos/a.1617636208525132.1073741827.1617634748525278/1732340287054723/?type=3&theater

Who can identify this this great machine?

Indeed, its new interior for FK8

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 3 months later...

More

Source: https://www.facebook.com/copperstatemodels/photos/pcb.1775292352759516/1775292212759530/?type=3&theater

After a long period of re-thinking and remodeling of F.K.8 I would like to show your final plastic parts renders of FK8- Early version
you may compare this model with first one that I showed you all a year ago
I totally rebuild this model to make it as close to original as possible.
and it`s already in development

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 2 weeks later...

I am so looking forward to this! 

A small nitpick: why do manufacturers find it so difficult to replicate fabric covered wing rib detail? For years we had to suffer with the "starved cow" effect, though by now most manufacturers have got the memo about that. Unfortunately, the "starved cow" has been replaced by rib tape "planking". If I recall correctly, Eduard seems to have started that unfortunate trend with their Sopwith Camel, and then went full on absurd with their SSW D.III. Why that nonsense when a half minute googling for images of WWI airplanes will yield abundant evidence of what rib taping really looks like? Over 20 years ago, both Sierra and Blue Max managed to regularly produce kits with exquisitely replicated rib tape detail using the most basic technologies, and in Sierra's case, even more impressive because they were doing it in vacuform. Yet today, even with 3D modeling, CAD/CAM, CNC machining, etc, we are given "planks" instead of tapes...sigh.

OK, now that that's off my chest, I really am thrilled to see CSM doing this. I will gladly spend the 5 minutes needed to knock down the exaggerated tapes with some sandpaper.

CSM seems to be the only manufacturer still carrying the torch for 1/48 WWI aircraft models. That alone would be reason enough to applaud them, but they must also be commended for producing kits to such a high standard. From all the reports I've seen, their Caudron G.IV is absolutely stunning (I have one on the way and can't wait for it to arrive). I wish them nothing but success, and hope that the Caudron and Armstrong-Whitworth are just a prelude to many more previously neglected WWI aircraft kits in 1/48 scale.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...