Nuts Planet "Pirate Fury"

Bigmick

Well the break from doing busts didn't last long.

I bought a selection of busts from El Greco Miniatures and sat and stared at them for a few days, I properly had a lapse of mojo and had no idea which one I wanted to do, which was a bit disconcerting, I started the Young Miniatures Hell on Wheels, which looks like Don "Wardaddy" Collier from "Fury", but got as far as the eyes and base flesh tone and lost interest, might start again as not fully happy with the eyes, another dip in mojo, the hardest kit in regards of paint by first looks was Pirate Fury, I bought Ann Bonny and Mother of Dragons but I will airbrush their skin tones as they're expansive and need to look flawless.

So, Pirate Fury, in no way does he resemble Captain Hector Barbossa from Pirates of the Caribbean with Jack the monkey :whistle: , box duly opened then the parts pared from their casting blocks and sanded, re engraved etc.

IMG_1024_zpsh5bfid05.jpg

This is Barbossas head, I used Halfords plastic primer on all parts as it's darker, then dusted on some Tamiya grey primer from above, it highlights high points and almost pre shades the parts.

IMAG4174_zps0il8f0to.jpg

I thought I'd paint the monkey first, he's small, even at 1/10 scale.

IMAG4179_zps5pbisupw.jpg

I had a days painting at the model club yesterday and this is the result after 6 hours, all the paints are Vallejo acrylics, I've got a few more bits to do, make the face a bit darker and also highlight the waistcoat.

IMAG4183_zpsccxuhyli.jpg

I shall endeavor to take some better close up pictures once he's finished.

That's it for now.

Regards.

Mick

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

What happened next.

Well I started to paint the torso, the plan was to copy the pattern in Barbossa's waitcoat, easy you say, errn, no, bloody well wasn't lol.

This is the pattern, it's upholstery fabric.

1_34f701374ddc6e138709877963d7a658_zps0z

And this is it in Barbossa's cotume, just about visible, but if you're going to do it be ocd about it and do it properly, tbh I really didn't enjoy this part I'm afraid to say, fluctuating back problems and pain levels meant the fun factor and mojo were up and down like a rollercoaster.

Screenshot_2015-08-27-20-26-22_zpsand4we

Screenshot_2015-08-27-20-28-25_zpssdtbos

Screenshot_2015-10-17-20-03-50_zpshuqood

Luckily I dry fitted all the parts and actually you can't really see much of the pattern, phew.

So the base coat was 70859 red black (all colours are Vallejo) the collar was basecoated 70918 ivory

IMG_1041_zps30wajxmx.jpg

The pattern was copied and painted with a 5/0 brush, the yellow was 70847 dark sand, the blue was 70965 prussian blue mixed with a touch of black with highlights in neat colour.

IMG_1042_zpsqilymjtp.jpg

After looking at the colours it looked awful so started to overpaint everything with red black to start again,mojo dip, this looked a lot better so added a few more coats until the pattern was just visible and decided to start again, but instead of dark solid lines I would paint the pattern with dashes to look like stitch marks, in my mind it seemed like a good idea.

Anyways this is the end result.

IMG_1051_zpsmld08ont.jpg

I gave a couple of thinned washes of red black, then a couple of washes of 70957 flat red

IMG_1056_zpsjk0fimld.jpg

Happy with the result so decided not to mess about with it.

The broad leather sword belt was painted with the leather set, 70872 chocolate brown, 70983 flat earth for first highlight, 70847 dark sand for second highlight, 70939 smoke for first shadow and wash then matt black for last wash.

The pistol belt didn't receive as heavy a smoke wash.

Silver buckles were painted with 70864 natural steel

The pistol woodwork was given a coat of 70923 Japan uniform then successive washes of 70828 woodgrain to build up colour, the metal work is natural steel with parts highlighted with 70801 brass, everything then had washes of matt black, heavily thinned, concentrating around the metal work to add shadow and the appearance of staining, or just work to any reference pictures.

More to follow.

Regards.

Mick.

• Like 4

I forgot to explain about the jacket, I painted everything matt black to start with. The lapels had the folds highlighted with a mixed very dark grey, I didn't want to go mad, the waistcoat lapels were red black mixed with white and black but I'm not fully happy so might add a few highlights.

IMG_1051_zpsmld08ont.jpg

I then cheated and used 70816 luftwaffe uniform as it's a nice blue grey and started dry brushing layers of paint, adding more white for high points on the creases, I used the same luftwaffe uniform for the bandana to give a bit of continuity, I'd have like to have tried a pattern but after the waistcoat solid colours were the order of the day.

The actual coat worn by Barbossa had individual stitches added in each pleat, you could paint the whole thing blue grey then add a wash, they would work as well.

Now on to the face, these are the colours.

IMG_1058_zpsceq7j4qx.jpg

The base colour was 70804, 70950 matt black and 70951 matt white, the eyes were painted ivory.

IMG_1059_zpsdubaf26u.jpg

I decided the eyes would be looking far left, can't say the amount of times I went "ARRRRRRR" awhile I was painting the eyes, as usual a dark blue grey as the base, then lighter blue grey for the centres, I added a small dash of white as a highlight then a small crescent of pale blue underneath as a reflection.

IMG_1061_zps7hreizcm.jpg

The eyes then received washes of 72038 scrofulous brown from the gamecolour range, it's a nice yellow brown which was also used as washes on the skin, dabs added as stains and along the beard line to blend the bristles into the skin.

IMG_1062_zps44d43ejg.jpg

The bandana was painted luftwaffe uniform, then the folds painted this time not dry brushed, I tried the loaded brush technique used by artists such as Ben Komets but I'm rubbish so used the tried and tested successive lighter laters with a brigh highlighted edge.

IMG_1068_zpsr0ealp7e.jpg

IMG_1082_zpsp48hbuss.jpg

As you can see I also played with the skin tone, adding washes of scrofulous brown, chocolate brown and 72092 brown ink which doesn't seen to leave coffee stains.

The hair had a base of chocolate brown, then dry brushed flat earth as well as painting individual strands, then a highlight of flat earth and white, a wash of matt black then a final flat earth and white highlight.

And here he is at the beginning of assembly, I pinned "Jack" and the bandana using enough superglue so it just oozed out and cleaned the excess away with the edge of some kitchen towell, any shine from glue residue will be lost under colour washes and matt varnish.

IMG_1086_zpsslejxdrx.jpg

All there is to go now is the hat, a big one, with a feather.

Regards.

Mick.

• Like 5

:wow: That last picture is impressive! Superb job all round, from skin tones to eyes, from leather to tissues, just about perfect. makes me wanna give a try at this bust!

Looking forward to the washes - and the big hat too! :clap::worthy:

Ciao

"And I'll buy you the hat, a really BIG one"

So here he is finished, I can't sat I enjoyed it as much as the previous ones, must be the mojo dips and back pain, but I'm happy with the finished product.

I'll have to ask Michael at Bespoke Bases to make a nice wood base then I'll decorate it, maybe milliput shaped into a mound of treasure with a bushel of apples sticking out the side.

I repositioned the pheasant tail feather so it was laying down, the groove cast in the hat means it would have stuck straight up like an aerial.

IMG_1093_zpsvntpmihy.jpg

IMG_1094_zpsrfrnryd8.jpg

IMG_1097_zpsvhgkhoqr.jpg

I shall take some better pictures on a MDC resin base with a backdrop later this week.

Regards.

Mick.

• Like 7

Thank you all very much for your comments, much appreciated. I've done a bit more dry brushing on the top of the hat and the edge of the brim to weather it a bit more and gone round looking for bits I've missed, its amazing how many tiny bits of primer hide in the creases.

Regards.

Mick.

• 4 weeks later...