1/35th Tamiya Chally 1 (yes, another one)

Bish

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the wait guys. The stuff i ordered from Accurate Armour arrived sooner than i had expected so i was able to get those done and fitted. After the last update, i gave everything a coat of future with some Tamiya flat. I then added the tools and items from AA, bergans, roll mates and oil cans. I made some bungee's with some wire and used these to secure some of the kit.

60_zpsgpi3qyz8.jpg

61_zps7p4idcqb.jpg

63_zpstyic38et.jpg

65_zpsmlnpcods.jpg

According to the decals instructions, the markings on the rear and left of the turret were done on vardboard. The only stuff i had that was sutable was some WW2 German box's. As i don't think a box with a German eagle and Swastika on it would have gone down to well, i managed to find enough that had no print on it to use. None of the bags i have will fit into the side bins and i don't have anything else sutable to use so have decided to leave the side bin half empty. I might add a bit of cam net into the front one but there is no way that will hold a full chally net.

66_zpsf3y2bnx4.jpg

67_zpsqp06unbq.jpg

I also worked on the tracks, giving the inside 2 coats of Vallejo steel and an oil wash on Raw Umber and Yellow Orche mix on both sides.

69_zps1kaphmsw.jpg

After adding all the baggage, i gave the whole thing another coat of future/Tamiya flat and then some AK N Africa dust effects. This was applied quite heavy low down and light as i went higher up. As i had hoped, this has toned down the pin wash. I also added some exhausts stain with Tamiya smoke mixed with a little black.

70_zpsajx10zsq.jpg

71_zpssyfjra93.jpg

74_zps0esl5klz.jpg

75_zpsllnxp0dt.jpg

77_zpsctshiaw4.jpg

78_zps1baesyqb.jpg

Next up will be some streak effects and some oil staining followed by a coat of Alclad clear and then the pigments for the final stage.

• Like 4

Thanks' guys.

Darren, ye, I did think that. We would never put ours on our Warriors like that either. They were supposed to go in the side bin but these would not fit, I am not sure which ones Dan used for his build. But as I had them and it was looking rather bear, so I decided to put them there to add a bit of interest. So I hope you will forgive my slight bit of artistic licence.

Thanks Darren. I never spent much time out in the desert, both my trips were spent in the towns. But I know how dusty the wagons got after a couple of weeks at BATUS, so I can only imagine what it was like after along time out there.

Time to wrap this one up and call it done. The last thing to do was add the dust effects, fit the antennas and bring hull and turret together. For the dust i used a mix of miG and AK pigments and the antenna are micro carbon rod. I had considered adding the commander figure and even started painting it. But when i test fitted, i realised he would not fit as is with the MG ammo box's in place, so that decided it for me. Closed down it is.

First the turret.

2015_11170006_zpsts2bwq2g.jpg

2015_11170008_zpsqi2kiizm.jpg

And the hull. I used some tamiya soot pigments around the exhausts. I also fitted it to the base so i could get it in the soft sand before it hardened.

2015_11170009_zpsri2zh4bb.jpg

2015_11170010_zpsgstbwi9j.jpg

2015_11170012_zps5997aed1.jpg

And then the two were brought together.

2015_11170013_zps3f9tq6qe.jpg

2015_11170016_zps5gvpb3al.jpg

2015_11170019_zpsgbfqzumu.jpg

2015_11170022_zps6zzylyev.jpg

2015_11170024_zpstt4qrbrc.jpg

And there you have it, my first 35th none WW2 German armour build in many years. I know i could have done more to make it more accurate and it could have more kit on it, but it was nice to be able to relax and not worry to much, i have enough German armour to pull my hair out over.

A big thanks for Dan for some really useful tips and ideas which helped to add some nice detail I would not have even thought of.

Edited by Bish
  • Like 4

Thats excellent Bish, a nice change from all the Scots DG Op Granby tanks that appear everwhere, but if my memory serves me right all the 40 callsigns ( 4th Troop) in each sqn were all 17/21 Lancers as they brought the Regiment up to "full" war strength.

I was QRIH during Op Granby, D Sqn though and our 4th Troop was 17/21 Lancers.

Still a great build all the same

Nick

Thanks a lot guys, its much appreciated, especially come from you guys.

Nick, the Tamiya kit comes with the Scots markings, which is probably why there are so many. I have seen some builds which use both callsigns that Tamiya provide added to there tanks. I used Bison decals that simply stated QRIH. But if I have read you right, it was actually 17/21 attached to QRIH.

• Like 1