1/35th Tamiya Chally 1 (yes, another one)

Bish

I suppose its time I started a build thread on here. Those who saw my intro armour builds will have noticed I have a preference for WW2 German armour. But I recently decided I would like to build a few modern British AFV's. I spent 22 years in the army and 12 of those were in Armoured Inf, 6 of which driving a warrior, so I thought it would be nice to build a few of the vehicles I worked with and around.

So I thought I would start with the Tamiya Chally 1 in Op Granby scheme. I thought this would be a good place to start as its 25 years since the first Gulf War and also 25 years since I joined up, 13th Oct to be exact. But despite my background I don't know that much about British armour, apart from the warrior I hope. Normally I would do tons of research and make plenty of effort to get it as accurate as possible. But with this build I plan to just enjoy it and not worry to much apart from anything major, close enough will be good enough. But after loking at Dans build over the last few days, and very timely that was, I have noticed a few things that defiantly need correcting but won't be to much of a hassle.

So, enough of the waffle. This is the kit, just in case you were not sure.

1_zpsskbtxajk.jpg

And the AM i will be adding to it. The resin parts from Accurate Armour replace the kit side skirts and fuel drums. The metal Sword tracks are new to me as i usually use Fruils, but i have herad good things about these and even getting them from Hong Kong they were still a bit cheaper than Fruils.

2_zpsykpmagrq.jpg

First thing i did was prime and paint the rubber on the wheels so they are all ready to have the hubs painted when i get to that. I did some damage to the rubber on the road wheels which i was rather pleased with.

2015_10140005_zpsqsyszvsb.jpg

I then got the lower hull done which didn't take to long, after all, its not a Dragon kit is it. After that, i added the upper hull and have started fitting the smaller pieces. You can see the bits i have had to modify, from what i have read, these areas were those on the prototype not the production vehicles.

2015_10140007_zps366jwu8u.jpg

2015_10140008_zpseymqkahl.jpg

2015_10140009_zpsjku99vei.jpg

2015_10140012_zpse5iopa4y.jpg

And that it for now. Going to crack on with the hull before i even think about the turret. I am considering a differant aproach to painting on this, so i will need to get the hull and tracks together first.

• Like 6

Thanks Darren. That's what I read on the AA site and it does look a hell of a lot better. I also realised after I posted those pics that the AA set includes the exhausts which look really nice, so I have swapped those out.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay in an update guys. I normally try and go for once a week. But this build had lots more to do than i had expected. I have also been following Dan's build and while i am not going to the same lengths to add detail as he has, there were a few things i felt realy needed some attention. And just when i thought i was ready, i realised there was somthing else to add.

Anyway, enough of the excuses. After the last update i starte adding the resin. These included new exhausts which i had not realised were in the AA set, but it was easy enought to remove the kit ones. And there was of course more PE to add.

8_zpsdbisr6xg.jpg

10_zps7dcfosmf.jpg

9_zpsa7xxi3js.jpg

Then it was onto the turret. Lots of PE on here with the handles and mesh for the bins and a few bits of resin.

12_zpsjhqg20ub.jpg

13_zps4nk90fub.jpg

14_zpsehheyzhe.jpg

Remember i said i was going to take a differant approach to painting. Well, scrub that. Some test fitting showed that the wheels and tracks can be fitted after the armour, so i decided to carry on with what i know.

18_zpsvwz5kdbx.jpg

17_zpsdmm2ofxy.jpg

22_zpshakhouft.jpg

I also added the last details to the lights useing some wire rather than the flat PE parts.

21_zpsc7x6rjvh.jpg

Then it was time to primer. A couple of areas needed a little more filling and sanding.

25_zpsawifipc9.jpg

26_zpst1lpjffe.jpg

But there was also a couple of pieces on the turret that i had neglected. Phogto's show tanks carrying water jerry cans in the frame on the rear turret bin, but the kit does not include anything for them to sit on. Dan's build gave me the answer to that.

30_zpsqxjdjljf.jpg

And i also had to add tarps to the side bins. I used white Milliput rolled thin, first time i have done this and it works a treat.

28_zpspl97mkkc.jpg

32_zpsjrcbrf3o.jpg

I only just added those so i need to let them dry for a bit. But in the meantime i can the fit the straps and a bit more detail.

I also got the tracks together and coated with NATO black. This Sword tracks are very nice, no flash and the holes are open. The only problem is the wire which is thicker than that used by Fruil and is a real pain to get through the hole. I had to drill most of them out.

33_zps2jylhdb2.jpg

And that's all for now. I have a couple of days to myself as the Mrs has had to go north to see family, and i have taken tomorrow off work so i am hopeing i can get a lot done to this.

• Like 5

Ok, here is that update. I finished off the tarps for the sid bins with straps made from Tamiya tape and the locking mechanisim from lead foil.

34_zpsg2h5zp9b.jpg

35_zpsbtjkuanm.jpg

After those bits got some primer, it was paint time. I got a bit carrie away and started adding the decals before i remembered to take some pics.

36_zpsfyimrnmc.jpg

37_zps8nw455da.jpg

39_zpssuwhu1rw.jpg

43_zpshqsfonw9.jpg

44_zpst6my3fg4.jpg

I have noticed one sligth error from the PE set. The small bit on the drivers hatch next to the handle is PE part 80. The instructions call for one here and 2 for the pick head. But there are only 2 included. Some checking showed that there should be nothing here, so this needs to be removed and out in the proper place.

40_zps5k2srm0c.jpg

With the rest of the decals then added, i did a light dry brush, only doing one layer as i don't want to heavy a weathering job here.

46_zpsqgtkf8qd.jpg

47_zpsbdmjrlpy.jpg

49_zpshb80gue2.jpg

45_zps1p4onkjk.jpg

The dry brushing was done Tues night with the base enamel and white oil. So i am leaving that to dry until tomorrow before a coat of future, which i hope to do correctly to protect it dfrom the washes to come.

Thats all for now.

• Like 8

Just a short update. After the coat of future, i gave the hull and turret a dot filter followed by a pin wash. I used the AK interactive wash for DAK vehicles. It's now being left to dry fully before sealing with a mix of future and tamiya flat.

Its a bit heavier in some areas than i had intend, but the dust effects should tone that down a bit.

2015_11050001_zpsppwit063.jpg

2015_11050004_zpsjwzauw8v.jpg

2015_11050005_zpsxt1iuuvb.jpg

2015_11050006_zps0gdfkotq.jpg

2015_11050008_zpsr936hh2q.jpg

2015_11050010_zpsyub5zizx.jpg

Once sealed, i can paint all the small details and ad the tools before adding some dust. But i am waiting on some stowage items from Accurate Armour before i can do that. So i will have plenty of time to finish the tracks, figure and a few other bits.

• Like 7