Coastal Craft History Volume 2. BPBCo Hulls

Shar2

Coastal Craft History Volume 2
Coastal Craft Histories

frontcover.jpg

This new book from Coastal craft, the second in the series of Coastal Craft histories, is entitled British Power Boat Company MTB’s, MGB’s, and MA/SB’s. Following on from their superb first edition on Vosper built boats, the book is also in landscape format and filled with superb side views, and some top views of the various boats the BPBCo designed and built. The profiles and text are by Mark Smith with Neil Robinson continuing his role as series editor.

The first nineteen or so pages contains a potted history of the company and its owner Hubert Scott-Paine, of Supermarine and Imperial Airways fame. Interspersed with the narrative are side views and technical information of the first BPBCo designed boats. The rest of the test covers the following :-
  • Torpedoes and torpedo boats
  • Hull and wheelhouse design
  • 60ft Hulls
  • 63ft Hulls
  • 70ft Hulls
  • The 71ft 6” Hull
  • Engines
  • Torpedoes and depth charges
  • Armament
  • Colour Schemes
  • Details of Boat type, length and numbers carried by BPBCo hulls.

page1.jpg

The next twenty eight pages show the many and various colour schemes used on particular boats. Each of the full colour profiles, some with top down views are beautifully drawn and come with information about the particular boat, as well as the colours used. There are also useful notes on the references used if the modeller would like to go further in their research. At the end of the book, there is a page dedicated to listing the great many books that are available followed by one page covering the kits and detail sets that are available from Coastal Craft.

page2.jpg

Conclusion
This book is an absolute must have for anyone interested in the Britain’s Coastal Forces boats of WWII. Whether you have any kits or not, but of particular use with those who have the any of the available kits who would like to produce something not out of the box, especially as there is so much available aftermarket for the 1:72 fraternity. This is an excellent companion to the first volume and I’m looking forward to seeing what comes next, hopefully the Fairmile boats. Very highly recommended.

bin-new.jpg

Review sample courtesy of
logo.jpg

• Like 2

On my list for Telford..........

Kev

Ditto, love what these guys are producing and dont think they have been lauded enough by half! Must remember to take my cheque book as a I may be tempted by a Fairmile D this year....

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Picked mine up at SMW yesterday and after starting it this afternoon have just been able to get my nose out of it some very interesting stuff in this one as with the first volume

Just waiting for the next installment to be released great stuff.

Beefy