Italeri Stirling MK1(& Guitars !), Will it make it to Telford !

dam fine effort though, just think how far you could have got without the guitar side track, all those people that delayed Rob getting his beautiful stirling finish by distracting him, shame on you all.

to avoid anyone taking this comment the wrong way, it is intended as a bit of fun, please do not take offence :)

• Like 3

Cheers guys and no offence taken I get the joke thought the same myself , work and hospital appointments too !

Still I tried

Maybe if I get chance it might make it for tommorow but not today :(

Cheers Rob :) (running late for Telford )

Don't weaken, Rob; never apologise for a guitar. "This machine kills fascists", and all that.

She looks great, and still will when you pick up again post-Telford. Just go and enjoy yourself!

• Like 1

Cheers mate it does indeed kill them :)

The three main hold ups with this where

1. Drilling windows :(

2. Engines that simply do not fit at all

3. Tamiya Black paint taking way to long to dry !

Here she it this morning I think I might bring her unfinished if I can :)

B5993DB9-B6B0-4400-9F7E-F14E8A66E2F8_zps

• Like 5

Hope you day gets better rob, and you get in?!

The work you have done in such a short time is brilliant, bust not to rush these things just to get them over a line, you won't be happy with the result.

Good luck if you can get it clear for Sunday

Rob

• Like 1

Stupendous work and effort Rob, even though its not finished it looks ace - And in no time at all too!

Hope you have a good day today (and get in! Is it that busy!??)

Hopefully i'll be up tomorrow, decided even if i have no available funds for stash acquisition i'll come anyway just to drool.

Nick

• Like 1

Stupendous work and effort Rob, even though its not finished it looks ace - And in no time at all too!

Hope you have a good day today (and get in! Is it that busy!??)

Hopefully i'll be up tomorrow, decided even if i have no available funds for stash acquisition i'll come anyway just to drool.

Nick

Cheers mate got in by a cats whisker ! , VERY busy ques from 6.30 am apparently !

Glad you like the Stirling cheers Rob :)

• Like 2

Huge Kudos for getting as far as you did in the time. I was hoping to get there but the state of the 20+ year old CRV (known as Big Ron) means I can't risk it, at the moment putting fuel in is a worry as the state of the car means that I might not get to use all of it!

Not only that, but the rubbish weather means I can't spray the guitars I am doing at the moment.

Oh well, back to the Popham annual magazine that I have to typeset and design.

Have fun guys, perhaps next year we can have the innaugural Britmodeller Guitar section meeting over coffee and a bun.

• Like 3

Rob, nice to meet you yesterday, and pardon the very bad pun, but yours was a "stirling" effort... (I'll get my coat... ).

Well, it was my first Scale Model World Show yesterday. What a day! I managed to cover 7 miles waking the halls yesterday. As well as adding to my "stash" I managed to obtain a new compressor.

More importantly though, it made me realise just realise that the hobby of modeling is in such rude health. I'm off to rest my legs...

• Like 1

Good to finally meet you Rob, and i agree, the Stirling is looking mighty fine - As i said, your 'rush job' is about 100% than my 'taking my time jobs'! The paint work is especially nice.

I'll be in touch in the new year regarding guitar lessons, take care mate!

Nick

• Like 2

Huge Kudos for getting as far as you did in the time. I was hoping to get there but the state of the 20+ year old CRV (known as Big Ron) means I can't risk it, at the moment putting fuel in is a worry as the state of the car means that I might not get to use all of it!

Not only that, but the rubbish weather means I can't spray the guitars I am doing at the moment.

Have fun guys, perhaps next year we can have the innaugural Britmodeller Guitar section meeting over coffee and a bun.

Cheers mate its a shame you could not get there it was a great show. But then it always is. Spraying guitars is something I would love to learn about its a different world to painting models.

A guitar meeting would be good. This thread still is not finished so plenty of room for more guitar stuff here including your Vox review.

Cheers Rob :)

Rob, nice to meet you yesterday, and pardon the very bad pun, but yours was a "stirling" effort... (I'll get my coat... ).

Well, it was my first Scale Model World Show yesterday. What a day! I managed to cover 7 miles waking the halls yesterday. As well as adding to my "stash" I managed to obtain a new compressor.

More importantly though, it made me realise just realise that the hobby of modeling is in such rude health. I'm off to rest my legs...

Hey March was great to meet you too. I remember you met me when I was still Zombified by said Stirling effort ahah. Not surprised you did 7 miles my legs and feet where killing me by the end yesterday as I did a fair bit of walking myself you don't realize your doing it. I only added one kit to my stash I think I need to build a few of mine and maybe sell a few before adding to it (Got to make room for Airfix Victors)

Good to finally meet you Rob, and i agree, the Stirling is looking mighty fine - As i said, your 'rush job' is about 100% than my 'taking my time jobs'! The paint work is especially nice.

I'll be in touch in the new year regarding guitar lessons, take care mate!

Nick

Great to meet you too mate and like so many others shame there was not more time to talk. It goes so damn quick. Next year I hope to get to Hudds, Cosford, Milton, Sutton, and Newark shows so long as It don't clash with Band commitments.

Will be great to sort some guitar stuff out with you too dude and glad you approve of the build.

Well done Rob! Hope you had a great weekend.

Thanks mate I had a wonderful time it was just awsome and a good bit of exercise too. I need to return to the Gym now.

Here are a few shots that I forgot to post off the build progress through the small hours of Saturday morning in the shed which I can now use for modelling. Nice place to be I feel at home in.

I used the spare circular masks off the edward set to form the demarcation curve symmetrically but in a rush. Worked a treat.

Then after using a lot of Tamiya tape sprayed the Black and started decaling

6E1B2A77-ED01-4AF3-B597-88AC3F6AE49A_zps

C42D77A9-52BB-4865-A1E0-FE7147A6220D_zps

FE637FF8-0C84-412E-A9F1-F9C2A9451992_zps

7745D66B-B91E-4268-9724-1ED2DAF125EB_zps

So now I can get back to it and spend lots of time on her and not rush her. I think I will try and make this the last time I do a close call time schedule build unless its something more manageable like a Vulcan...

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 6

Looking good Rob! See you sometime over the weekend :)

Mate it was great to see you but a shame we did not get more chance to speak. What a manic Telford it was there was a real buzz there everyone seemed to be very excited indeed. Wonderful I thought.

That Vacform you got looked a beast I was totally screwed by that point on Saturday. I dare say I will see you at Hudds or Cossie

All the best Rob :)

• Like 1

Good to meet you too rob, i'll be at Cosford, haven't been to that one yet so looking forward to it. Looking forward to seeing the Stirling coming along - I meant to ask what colour's you used for the camo? Looks spot on to me, i can never seem to get it right.

Oh, and my lad now wants to build a Vulcan after seeing them on your table, looks like Santa has some shopping to do.... :lol:

Nick

• Like 1

Good to meet you too rob, i'll be at Cosford, haven't been to that one yet so looking forward to it. Looking forward to seeing the Stirling coming along - I meant to ask what colour's you used for the camo? Looks spot on to me, i can never seem to get it right.

Oh, and my lad now wants to build a Vulcan after seeing them on your table, looks like Santa has some shopping to do.... :lol:

Nick

Awsome mate. I love Cosford its one of the best shows all the tables are littered through the hangars under the real aircraft you cant get a better show than that. It was my first show so has a special place in my heart as does Cosford itself as I has many happy memories of me and my family being there in the early 90s.

The stirling I tried going for what Tamiya and MrColour / MrHobby recognise as there being 2 different shades for RAF green. ww2 Being a lighter shade on some but I have always use the colours as guidelines its true that BS241, BS641 are the colours but there was some confusion as one of those numbers was changed to the same number. Having seen many airframes and good photos over the years and trusting my eyes there is an amazing variation of shades. plus may variables. Manufactures, Fading, Application of paint in different conditions, Age, Base coat shade, Pigments, Year, You name it !.

even the many model pain manufactures offer wildly different shades of paint that are all supposed to be accurate. Even from tin to tin. So I use them as a starting point and like to experiment and not get to hung up on it. It just interests me as I find the shade beautiful but sometimes people row about this and I never like that.

Its good to experiment I think.

The shades used here is Tamiya AS-9 spray can, Humbrol 29 spray can. I chose this as the Tamiya Green is much lighter than the AS-30 but both have a subtle brown cast to them which is what you want for RAF stuff However Tamiya's dark earth was too dark for the AS-9 so I went with HU29 as its a rather like shade and contrasts better with the green.

Earlier in this thread there are 2 documentaries I posted one with lots of great WW2 colour Footage of Lancasters even though it is old film and again Photography and lighting are another huge variable to the way you can perceive one swatch of paint. You can still get a good guestimate of the shades applied when you can see the grass is green and sky blue but yet the colours of greens and browns from airframe to airframe varied wildly. Some look smack on the Classic Humbrol 30 Which is very bright and blueish,. But others look very muddy like Hu163, Some are very light indeed.

So Just do what makes you feel looks right. I have even mixed up my own colours sometimes, I make swatches and test colour combos before appling them to my models. Sometimes it works out other times not. I found that adding Purple or red to Revell Gelbolive can give great results. Each model is an experiment I think.

Sorry for the waffle I sometimes wish I was not good at typing as it might give a few eyes a rest ahah.

Work on the Stirling will resume soon

• Like 1

Well it made for a cracking thread Rob. Good of you to put yourself thro' it for our entertainment :)

Hey Steve thanks and great to meet you only sad I did not get to talk to you more. I was worried I might have seemed rude when bill approached as I was juggling convo betwean you guys and English Electric. Also I was Zombified.

I was more awake on Sunday but man am I recovering now. I am glad its entertaining for everyone. However in future I will have to impose a rule on myself that it must be done no later than 1 am so I get some sleep. As I never intend for these last min builds it just seems to happen that way at the mo. I much prefer to take my time like I am with my other builds, Possibly too much time.

Cant wait to get the Stirling finished and return to my Frog Vulcan and other builds. But the Frog is really coming on now.

The show was buzzing this year everyone was seeming to be full of excitement wonderful atmosphere.

Be good to see you at Huddersfield or Cosford next year. If you have not been to Huddersfield its a great show usually has some good shops too.

Thanks for the info Rob, very interesting and informative. I'll go back and look at that film, hopefully i'll start getting RAF camo right from now on.

Cosford show sounds ace, i've been to the museum a few times and love it, first went with my Gran and Grandad back when i was a kid probably late 80's. I remember the Vulcan cockpit they had there when i went in about 2004-ish, shame its gone now. I've dragged the wife there that many times now she refuses to go again :lol:

I'll definitely be up for the show, will be good to see you and have a proper chat, and meet some more chaps from here (and adding nice things to the stash...)

Nick

• Like 1

Yes Nick that Vulcan Cockpit belongs to B1 XA895 and it's still there but taken off display for some mad reason hope they don't scrap it I would love to buy it off them :)

• Like 1

I was supposed to be respraying my Squier Precision Special this summer, but never managed to find the time. I guess I'll have to wait until spring now

It's my first guitar respray and I'm doing metalflake! In for a penny.........

• Like 2