1/144 Lockheed Tristar, Eastern Express RELEASED

Pin

Given Otaki's go for £100s, are as rare as hen's teeth, are the best Tristar kits ever made and will never be made again, I am kind of content to take an EE knock off variant in preference to the alternatives.

I don't disagree although you probably mean the best injection-moulded Tristar kits ... Even the legendary Otaki kit pales into insignificance beside Authentic Airliners :winkgrin:

• 3 months later...

Masking won't take long with a bit of Blu Tac. It's easier doing small airliner windows than something like a Ju 88 canopy. And I don't think you notice the windows being thick once they're in place. They still look miles better than decals and light doesn't hit flat bits of paper in the same way it does with clear plastic.

So how will you then take care of each thin silver frame around each single window if you skip out on decals ?

• 1 year later...
38 minutes ago, Vlamgat9 said:

Do we think a -500 series will ever in fact get released?

It was released in 4 different boxings last week:

ATA America

United

Air Transat

LTU

...and they have correctly portrayed the longer wingtips!

• Like 1

Several new boxing 

- ref. EE144114-01 - Passenger aircraft L-1011-500 "LTU"

Source: https://hobbyterra.com/product/l-1011-500-ltv-eastern-express-144114-01.html

Passenger aircraft L-1011-500 "LTU"

- ref. EE144114-02 - Passenger aircraft L-1011-500 "Air Transat"

Source: https://hobbyterra.com/product/l-1011-500-air-transat-eastern-express-144114-02.html

Passenger aircraft L-1011-500 "Air Transat"

- ref. EE144114-03 - Passenger aircraft L-1011-500 "United"

Source: https://hobbyterra.com/product/l-1011-500-united-eastern-express-144114-03.html

Passenger aircraft L-1011-500 "United"

- ref. EE144114-04 - Passenger aircraft L-1011-500 "ATA"

Source: https://hobbyterra.com/product/l-1011-500-ata-eastern-express-144114-04.html

Passenger aircraft L-1011-500 "ATA"

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Pricey, you can get the Welsh models one for less than that. Never thought I'd see the day when mainstream IJ kits were more expensive than their after market equivalents!

And you'd need new roundels at least as the proportions on the 'D's are way out

Edited by Dave Fleming

7 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Pricey, you can get the Welsh models one for less than that. Never thought I'd see the day when mainstream IJ kits were more expensive than their after market equivalents!

And you'd need new roundels at least as the proportions on the 'D's are way out

Some of the civil versions are even more expensive at nearly $80 (£60). Definitely be passing this one by😕

Allan

6 hours ago, oggy4624 said:

Mine is now well overdue.

I never trust ebay.

Was hoping to do 704 in the original scheme.

Money down the drain.

Have you not submitted a PayPal dispute? Seems like you've given up without a fight.

• Like 1

On 01/12/2017 at 4:49 AM, oggy4624 said:

Mine is now well overdue.

I never trust ebay.

Was hoping to do 704 in the original scheme.

Money down the drain.

Who was the seller and when did you order them?  I just got two tankers from 123rus77 at a good price.  No problems at all.  Very quick delivery from Russia.

On 30/11/2017 at 2:24 AM, Dave Fleming said:

Hopefully less than £50+, I really want to do Pinky or Perky

As a guide maybe, Ray has been selling the original kit and -200s for £28 including decals. As some of these decals are £9 on their own, that's a bargain.

Edited by buzz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just received one one of the RAF boxing and I'm a little disappointed with the decals.

The kit comes with the instructions for the Pan Am boxing of the kit with a supplemental sheet for the placement of the bits on the RAF sprue along with the painting and decal placement guides.

The decals are laser printed and the proportions of the roundels are a bit off and the supplied windows on my kit lack the silver trim and are not quite sharp on my example. Fortunately for me, my Welsh Models Short Belfast has the Tristar decals in it mixed in with the Belfast ones so I can mix and match.

I'd have expected better quality decals for the price the kit is being sold for. My advice to anyone wanting this kit would be to wait until Mel at S&M models releases his kit in January. Hopefully it will be good value for money in the same way the Roden Bristol Britannia was when it was reboxed by Twosix Decals with the RAF Markings.

Regards,

Mark

• 5 months later...