A Valiant Attempt (1/72 Suez Crisis Airfix Valiant)

With our old rat packs that meant original recipe Nescafe and powdered white stuff :)

And five minutes of bliss as the oatmeal blocks disintegrated and became possibly the best meal of the day

Unless I had fruit pudd'n in the rat pack

edited to add, I did a gardening exercise on my old 'escape belt' a couple of years ago

Even I would never tackle Mutton and Rice after this long so I slung it at last

;)

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

I feel like you guys have lead slightly more interesting lives than me. I did once eat eleven hot dogs in as many minutes on a dare, however.

I would suggest that many of our friends here have had VERY interesting lives PC, I however practised for a possibility I did not want but was very ready to deal with, so don't put me in there with the good uns

But in practising I had a bloo*y wonderful life :thumbsup:

but...

eleven?

I never did that!

• Like 1

It's not the eleven hot-dogs that impresses me, I believe I could probably do that many and as long as I am never put to the test I can go on believing it...

... but in ELEVEN MINUTES?

*doffs hat respectfully*

Glad to see you got a little time in at the workbench PC :)

Cheers,

Stew

*doffs hat respectfully*

All men have greatness in them. I was merely fortunate enough to be summoned by its call.

Glad to see you got a little time in at the workbench PC :)

And a little more today. Looks like there's not a seam up noseways, I think, so that bullet may be dodged. Still some more priming (and likely some filling and sanding) yet to go.

• Like 6

I remember the Rolo's always being white they were so old, and the packaging had arabic writing on it for some obscure reason.

You are forgetting the tinfoil being melted into the Rolo's in creases and folds and being so friable that picking it out was some form of mental cruelty that was no doubt frowned upon somewhere in the UN. Unless of course you had a Geordie in your section by the name of Mad Thommo. One of the last remaining 22 year Sappers who provided an evenings entertainment in the sandy place 25 years ago by throwing caution to the wind and going for broke with the Rolo's, tinfoil and all. He had squaddie tourettes at the best of times, but when the tinfoil bridged his fillings, it took it to a new level. :shutup::winkgrin:

I'll give him his due though he finished the packet.

• Like 8

I remember the Rolo's always being white they were so old, and the packaging had arabic writing on it for some obscure reason.

It was probably because we sold special non melting rolo's to the Middle East and then they flogged them back to us when passed the sell by date. IIRC they weren't melt in the mouth Rolo's. But rat packs did teach me one thing though.......how not to be a fussy eater!

• Like 3

It was probably because we sold special non melting rolo's to the Middle East and then they flogged them back to us when passed the sell by date. IIRC they weren't melt in the mouth Rolo's. But rat packs did teach me one thing though.......how not to be a fussy eater!

But there was always the "Baby's Head" to cheer you up!! No matter how hard Fray Bentos tried (but failed) over the years to persuade Mrs FC of the joys civvies could have had, the sheer beauty of a hot suet steak pudding when you were on your chinstrap was something to behold (not so much joy when it was hard routine and they were cold though)!

Was I the only freak that preferred them to Boil in the Bag Rat packs?

• Like 3

Pusser's "Baby's Heads" are the food of the Gods. Or so they seemed at the end of a long cold day on the Flight Deck in the Falklands, with which I will always associate them. I reckon I pretty much lived on the things throughout May 1982!

• Like 3

Tinned suet steak pudding, universally known as a "baby's head" - certainly throughout the RN, and I suspect all 3 services. See also "poo-poo on a raft" (kidneys on toast) "train smash" (sausages in tomato sauce) and many other delicacies

Poo-poo on a raft might possibly gave fallen victim to our prim & proper swear filter. The first word should rhyme with "fit"

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

Tinned suet steak pudding, universally known as a "baby's head" - certainly throughout the RN, and I suspect all 3 services. See also "poo-poo on a raft" (kidneys on toast) "train smash" (sausages in tomato sauce) and many other delicacies

Poo-poo on a raft might possibly gave fallen victim to our prim & proper swear filter. The first word should rhyme with "fit"

Poo-poo on a raft sounds not unlike our **** on a shingle (first word rhymes with "fit"). Although we used chipped beef instead of kidney pieces.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Ooooh, steak and kidney pudding... yum! I'm not allowed that anymore, of course... Mrs B read somewhere that it causes something serious. Very scientific. I would gladly swap 'babies heads' one a week for a couple of years in the old peoples home...

Anyone else squeeze tubes of jam on their 'biscuits'? Suck on a tube of condensed milk? No? Just me then...

We had 'five boys' chocolate in our packs, something I hadn't seen for years.

"Tell the kids today and they won't believe you" :)

• Like 2

Here you go PC mate, fill your boots...

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Babies_Heads

"but were primarily used on Exercise for their amusement value as the tins, if placed in a mess tin of water and heated, would eventually detonate with spectacular effect, showering Soldiers in the vicinity with hot fat, suet crust and some strange meat substitute"

I cant help but giggle inanely to myself at the above, I am getting some strange looks in the office!

• Like 2

Good to see this one making progress PC. I trust the family including Madeline and yourself are all well?

I feel like you guys have lead slightly more interesting lives than me. I did once eat eleven hot dogs in as many minutes on a dare, however.

Personally I've found the most 'interesting' parts of my life are easier to talk about now with the lads than they were to live through at the time but such is the symptoms of Good Old Days syndrome. These days I'm happy to live a quiet life.

One thing about the rat-packs or Meals Rejected by Ethiopians was they made you appreciate the home cooking provided by your significant other. Even if she did keep a packet of OMO beside the kitchen window... :offtopic:

• Like 2