Airfix Defiant - 4 built in 4 hours...!

Part of our annual Interclub competition is a quick build. I imagine ours has a similar format to others. Each club fields a team of as many as they like and has a mystery kit plonked down in front of them and about 4 hours to complete it in.

The results are sometimes surprisingly good as was the case this year. The kit was the new tool Airfix Defiant.

Teams went to work with much industry....

22160839835_e1c7e9a7aa_b.jpg

although sometimes there was as many advisers as builders.

22160836235_cfa7af2a62_b.jpg

As the unofficial OH&S consultant I had to open the windows to avoid suffocation from the Tamiya Extra Thin...

But finally, they were all complete and sitting ready for judgement.....

21538058964_692fd792ce_b.jpg

Considering the various approaches the standard was pretty high and pretty uniform too, only a point or two separating them.

Here are 3 of the four in a bit more detail....

21538057044_d8d3c29c1e_b.jpg

22160844315_0c844fe662_b.jpg

21973972439_2c6453e2d9_b.jpg

The team I was on had four people working on and off - say half time each or 8 man-hours. That means if I really tried I should be able to build one in that time...... I wish....

• Like 18

As one of the participants I can only say what a fun comp the Waverley Interclub is. Our club has been participating for many years and the members always look forward to it. The group build is particularly enjoyable. Everyone pitches in and does their bit and though it might seem improbable at the beginning it is possible to complete quite a respectable model in just four hours. It's quite a team building exercise.

Look forward to next year's event.

Truly great stuff,

Back on this planet, 4 hours on a kit for me would be

1 hour finding where the modelling stuff has been put away to "in a safe place"

half hour reading the instructions, after finding glasses,

Next few minutes cutting out the parts for the first build section, one part being swallowed by the carpet monster

Remainder of time search for missing part, before deciding to return to kit another time...

Repeat as above !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1