1/72nd British Corsair`s x 3, Academy and new Revell

Hiya Folks,

I mistakenly posted this in WIP here; http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234990193-172nd-british-corsairs-x-3-academy-and-new-revell-sorry-meant-to-post-this-in-rfi/because I`m a dope,..but I`ve re posted it here;

Along with the 1/32nd Corsair Mk.I that I finished a few weeks ago I have also been building some 1/72nd Corsair`s too and here are three of them, starting with;

The Academy kit built as Mk.II, JT565, 7S, from 1834 NAS aboard HMS Victorious in January 1945,..it was sometimes flown by Canadian ace Sub. Lt. Shepherd RCN. I used a spare Tamiya propeller on this one as the kit one is rather aneamic;

DSCF6373_zpsginyzemv.jpg

DSCF6387_zpsqiynotxi.jpg

DSCF6403_zpseuwihhq7.jpg

DSCF6370_zpsh2hepmva.jpg

DSCF6390_zpsoociuk3t.jpg

The new Revell kit built as Mk.II, JT601, 12V9 from 1848 NAS based in the USA during work up training;

DSCF6404_zpsmehzmhpk.jpg

DSCF6405_zpswxibia7u.jpg

DSCF6384_zpshx8wce7u.jpg

DSCF6384_zpshx8wce7u.jpg

DSCF6392_zpsoioh5itq.jpg

Another Revell kit built as Mk.II, JT636, Y2F from 759 NAS based at Yeovilton as part of the Naval Fighter School;

DSCF6380_zpss1nwf1vy.jpg

DSCF6382_zpsowqj3pxt.jpg

DSCF6399_zpsg4kygic7.jpg

DSCF6395_zps3fzkacdc.jpg

DSCF6397_zpsoypjfpwa.jpg

The Revell kit is quite a difficult kit to put together and the open cowling gills needs to be sanded shorter and had the gaps between them filled to make them more realistic. The Academy kit is very nice and goes together like a dream.

My next ones will be ready soon, this time built from the Tamiya kit!

All the best

Tony

PS- In reply to some very nice and constructive comments on the other thread I posted the following update;

Thanks everybody,

Glad you like them,.....the decals came from Xtradecals excellent `Yanks with Roundels- Part 2" sheet for `12V9' part of an old Tally Ho sheet combined with a pair of Sky letter `S' codes for `7S' and Sky Decals sheet 72049 for `Y2F'.

Nick- I know what you mean about the forward mast,......I`m also building a Mk.III and may have become sidetracked with that! `7S' had the forward mast sawn off to a stump as depicted, I have a photo of a Corsair coded `Y2F' which I only found in my album after the model was finished and if it is the same aircraft then the forward mast is the least of my worries,.....I may have to change the markings on this one! As for 12V9', there is a photo of this aircraft on page 358 of Air-Britain`s FAA Sqns (2nd Ed) and it shows the forward mast in place,..... but it also shows that I`ve miss placed some markings slightly,....oh well!

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 35

Brilliant Corsairs Tony!

Need I say I am disappointed about your comments on the Revell Corsair, as I was really expecting a faultless job from them. Oh well, there is still the Academy kit, so not all is lost.

These FAA Corsairs do scrub up rather well and make a welcome change from VF-17 birds!

Congrats

JR

• Confused 1

Congrats Tony another three additions to the FAA collection. I do like the grey/green como pattern of WWII. But then they are FAA, so I could be a little biased.

Colin

Edited by heloman1

Thanks everybody,

I thought that this one had died a death so I was surprised to see it back again,........thanks ever so much for your very kind comments,

All the best

Tony

Not sure how I missed this one earlier, maybe suffering from lack of attention disorder. :( These are super Tony, what's not to like about my favourite planes in my second favourite finish, after the RNZAF ones that is. :)

Steve.

• 4 years later...

Beautiful bunch of bent-wing birds!

Mind if I pick your brains? I'm planning to have a go at JT601 for the Heller Classic GB, albeit in 1/72. I notice you went for sky on the underside rather than the "ANA 602" grey indicated on the Xtradecal guidance, is that standard temperate sea on the upper surfaces or some kind of American interpretation? I lack expertise in this area... many thanks.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Mind if I pick your brains? I'm planning to have a go at JT601 for the Heller Classic GB, albeit in 1/72. I notice you went for sky on the underside rather than the "ANA 602" grey indicated on the Xtradecal guidance, is that standard temperate sea on the upper surfaces or some kind of American interpretation? I lack expertise in this area... many thanks.

I'm guessing this is for @tonyot as the original poster, you need to quote him or summons him as I've just done. 5 years is a long way to come. ;)  My take on this is that there was no need to use ANA602 in place of Sky as the ANA range had a perfectly good Sky shade in it, ANA610. This was discussed recently in a thread that went a bit weird but I believe that was the consensus there too.

If you're not familiar with the ANA colours, this thread had a facsimile scan put up by @Troy Smith which shows them, also, in Dave Fleming's last post in that thread, I think he may have been a bit mixed up with his quoted ANA numbers.

Steve.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I'm guessing this is for @tonyot as the original poster, you need to quote him or summons him as I've just done. 5 years is a long way to come. ;)  My take on this is that there was no need to use ANA602 in place of Sky as the ANA range had a perfectly good Sky shade in it, ANA610. This was discussed recently in a thread that went a bit weird but I believe that was the consensus there too.

If you're not familiar with the ANA colours, this thread had a facsimile scan put up by @Troy Smith which shows them, also, in @Dave Swindell's last post in that thread, I think he may have been a bit mixed up with his quoted ANA numbers.

Steve.

Sorry, Steve, I seem to have misquoted! @tonyot helped me out on the squadron codes elsewhere so maybe know about the paint too?

I saw the thread that went a bit weird just this morning. Didn’t it just? 😳

• Like 2

Hello Tony,

Glad that this thread came back to the surface !!

Good Corsairs, Congratulations !!

Then it remind me that I did'nt finish a Corsair this year... Whoooops !!

Time to work on it !!

CC

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Thanks Tony,...... I used Aeromaster and Polly Scale acrylics, made in the USA,.... which to me are a good representation of how the US colours (colors?) looked after they had weathered slightly,...... using colour photos as my main reference. The undersides in these photos look pale green to me,..... but lighter than UK Sky,....... and the Pollyscale/Aeromaster paints replicate it very well as far as I`m concerned and I`m happy with them. 

I built a 1/32nd Corsair Mk.I a while back and went through the colours there in more detail, with some reference pics and views of a Corsair still at the bottom of a US lake (complete with the pilot,..RIP),..... if it helps here is a link;

All the best and good luck,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

If you're not familiar with the ANA colours, this thread had a facsimile scan put up by @Troy Smith which shows them, also, in @Dave Swindell's last post in that thread, I think he may have been a bit mixed up with his quoted ANA numbers.

Steve.

Agreed Steve,..... and thanks for chipping in mate.

37 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Tony,

Glad that this thread came back to the surface !!

Good Corsairs, Congratulations !!

Then it remind me that I did'nt finish a Corsair this year... Whoooops !!

Time to work on it !!

CC

Hiya CC,..... glad you like them mate,...... to be fair they aren`t my proudest moment as the Revell kit is total pants and I lost interest!!  

You`ve got to pull your finger out and get a Corsair done,..... do you want me to set you a task?,......... Korean War night fighter!

All the best mate

Tony

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Tony,...... I used Aeromaster and Polly Scale acrylics, made in the USA,.... which to me are a good representation of how the US colours (colors?) looked after they had weathered slightly,...... using colour photos as my main reference. The undersides in these photos look pale green to me,..... but lighter than UK Sky,....... and the Pollyscale/Aeromaster paints replicate it very well as far as I`m concerned and I`m happy with them. 

I built a 1/32nd Corsair Mk.I a while back and went through the colours there in more detail, with some reference pics and views of a Corsair still at the bottom of a US lake (complete with the pilot,..RIP),..... if it helps here is a link;

All the best and good luck,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks... I'll put all this somewhere safe. i think I need to get my head down and finish the current nightmare before I even think about any news ones. I was very close to chuck-it-at-the-wall point just now!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TonyOD said:

Thanks... I'll put all this somewhere safe. i think I need to get my head down and finish the current nightmare before I even think about any news ones. I was very close to chuck-it-at-the-wall point just now!

No worries mate,........ I just hope that photobucket don`t play silly buggers and delete any more of the pics on that 1/32nd Corsair build, especially the colour swatches. I may have to try and dig the pics out and re post them if I can find them,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2