Hawker Sea Fury 1:48 - Quickie (hopefully!)

Not a lot unless you are a heretic who needs an appointment with the Spanish Inquisition and the comfy chair!

Martin

Best book me an appointment then, I hate the things with a passion.

Almost being flattened by one probably didnt help.

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 1

Best book me an appointment then, I hate the things with a passion.

Almost being flattened by one probably didnt help.

I think you have to blame the driver there not the plane, Still, as you wish, the comfy chair is being shipped out as we speak. It was decided that Danni is far scarier than the Inquisition :chair: so we are sending her an instruction manual with the chair to save on air fares.

Martin

• Like 1

I think you have to blame the driver there not the plane, Still, as you wish, the comfy chair is being shipped out as we speak. It was decided that Danni is far scarier than the Inquisition :chair: so we are sending her an instruction manual with the chair to save on air fares.

Martin

I blame Bristol and their damn sleeve valve engines.

The thing was so quiet it sounded like it was down the other end of the airfield and gave me a slight fright when I

very near walked into the thing. Ground runs near the hanger were duly banned after this.

Good luck finding Madam, she appears to be in hiding (or arrested for D & D again :) )

I can see the point, it would certainly induce a change of underwear situation. Although my love of the aircraft came from a close encounter but in a slightly different plane (excuse the pun). I was on detachment with Seakings doing an airshow near Liverpool along with the RN historic flight in the late 80's(?). We were at a small airfield (Southport I think) waiting for the return. We could see the Seaking in the distance holding off so we were basically sat in the middle of the airfield by the flight line waiting to marshal it in. Then we saw the Sea Fury in the distance turn in towards us and dropping in LOW! The pilot knew we were there so decided to do a strafing run on us for 'a laugh' and the sight of this beast was truly magnificent, straight at us, then straight over the top of us and then pulling up into a barrel role. The pilot said he was at around 60 ft above us but If that was 60 ft then I am a monkeys uncle! It was amazing and has stuck with me til this day, but then seeing that the Seaking decided to do the same, max chat straight in at us, wasn't quite the same lol :sleep_1:

When I did this one, I used Bare Metal Foil as a mask. I used the Cooper Details set (with one piece spinner) so all I had to do was spray it white, stick on 5 triangular pieces of foil, and spray the red. Peel up the foil and Robert's your father's brother.

• Like 1

When I did this one, I used Bare Metal Foil as a mask. I used the Cooper Details set (with one piece spinner) so all I had to do was spray it white, stick on 5 triangular pieces of foil, and spray the red. Peel up the foil and Robert's your father's brother.

That's just given me a spark of an idea, I tried to mask off the individual spikes, so maybe I should mask between the spikes and try that way :hmmm:. I think that's what you mean......I shall give that a go, Thanks! :D

moaning dolphin, on 04 Nov 2015 - 08:48 AM, said:

That's just given me a spark of an idea, I tried to mask off the individual spikes, so maybe I should mask between the spikes and try that way :hmmm:. I think that's what you mean......I shall give that a go, Thanks! :D

Use the concept of negative space. Mask the front portion of the spinner which is to remain white with your triangles, laying each one down overlapping the previous one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay!

After what seemed like forever I had a little package arrive over the week end from a very kindly gent in NZ (Cheers K5054nz AKA zac!). I did get too excited about it though and was half way through decaling when I remembered I should have taken a fot.

100_3914_zpscsvck26v.jpg

I settled them down and applied some sol and let stand overnight and this was the result

100_3916_zpshk3xnttx.jpg

It looks good so far!

So back to that Prop, I followed Jessicas advice and had a go at negative space masking. I painfully tried to mask it well and good and it looked fine at that stage. However since painting and removing the mask to me it doesn't look right. It will do for now but overall I am not impressed with the kit prop and spinner, so I am keeping a look out for a replacement, in the mean time it will have to do.

The masking

100_3875_zpsodwxzr6v.jpg

From the side its not too bad. (I also note that the fuel tank decals have split quite badly in trying to get them to bed down, luckily Zac sent extra ones of those as well so that will get a looking at soon as well :winkgrin: )

100_3930_zps8ql1zorh.jpg

From head on it should have a nice crisp star type shape to it, this one is a little uneven, it has some thin points and some fat ones :banghead:

100_3929_zpsakftmxkv.jpg

Well that's all for now on this one, next up is the cockpit (seat head rest) and fitting Darby's canopy without screwing that up!

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 4

I think that the asking tape you are using is not helping your spinner. I would try using some ultra thin tape to mark out the star and then fill in with normal masking tape.

Martin

I'm pretty convinced that the points of the stars ought to hit between the bases of the prop blades, as seen in this lovely picture:artifact-hawker-sea-fury-fb11.jpg

The Hobbycrap spinner is pretty dire. If you can scare up an aftermarket replacement it would go far towards making your model look like a Sea Fury :)

I'm pretty convinced that the points of the stars ought to hit between the bases of the prop blades, as seen in this lovely picture:artifact-hawker-sea-fury-fb11.jpg

The Hobbycrap spinner is pretty dire. If you can scare up an aftermarket replacement it would go far towards making your model look like a Sea Fury :)

Bugger! :banghead: Although the xtradecal instructions seem to show it the other way unless those black blobs aren't meant to represent the blades!!

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48061

I think its back to the drawing board to find the correct set up, the nice fot above is 110 as opposed to 117 so maybe they were different (?). I shall dig a bit deeper! Also I can find a 1:72 replacement spinner and prop but not a 1:48 one, Oh well :shrug:

Google Image Search is inconclusive. It seems that the points could go either way, but in any case, they came to a sharp point just before meeting the blade roots.

I used the ancient Cooper Details set which came with a corrected spinner, but I think I may have mentioned that already. Perhaps stuff your spinner with Milliput and give it a twirl in the Dremel tool while armed with coarse sanding sticks?

• Like 1