Matchbox Stranraer - Grey / Silver scheme?

Rabbit Leader

All,

Just collected a good quality second-hand Matchbox Stranraer today and was just wondering if anyone could confirm the colours specified for the No.228 Squadron machine.

The instructions state a combination of Humbrol Grey #64 for the fuselage and underwing floats and Humbrol Silver Fox #11 for all fabric covered surfaces and engines. Revell seem to quote a similar combination in their recently re-issued kit with their equivalent paint numbers as well.

Now, I've been searching the web and some other publications (not that there's that many) and to my untrained eye most B&W photographs would appear to show these aircraft in an overall one-colour silver / aluminium scheme. I would like to think that both Matchbox and Revell have got this right, however I just cannot see any colour differentiation between any of these pre-war Stranraer photographs.

I have the Mushroom Stranraer / Walrus publication and really not much else. Does anyone know another source or reference where this grey/silver combination is clearly depicted?

Any information is good information, so please do not assume that I have seen or know about it.

Cheers and thanks... Dave.

Edited by Rabbit Leader

• 3 weeks later...

This got me going as I thought the same as Stu BUT.......

Bruce Robertson - Aircraft Camouflage and Markings 1907-1954 - Section 2, Chapter 6 'British Naval and Coastal Aircraft' which seems to cover the inter-war years states "Later for metal hulls a white enamel was used until 1931 when it was changed to a grey marine, cellulose enamel."

The later Section 3, Chapter 4 on wartime Coastal Command states about the Sunderland "Pre-war prototype and early production Mk.I from L2158 were in silver."

The colour of the prototype Spitfire is sometimes given as 'seaplane grey' if my memory is correct adding credence to seaplanes being painted grey somewhere.

So Matchbox / Revell could be correct and my previous assumptions wrong!

Edited by rossm
  • Like 1

Dave,

I believe that the pre-war 'silver' Swordfish also had their cowlings painted in Cerrux Grey, a shade which is tonally almost identical to Aluminium in black & white photographs so is often not noticed as being a different colour; perhaps the same applied to the metal parts on the Stranraer?

Cheers,

Stew

Cellon produced a grey primer paint with a combination of zinc oxide and yellow oxide additives which was found to be more effective than alumium-pigmented paints in resisting maritime corrosion. This grey paint was subsequently marketed as "Cerrux Grey".

Thank-you all for resurrecting this thread.

I'm sure the answer lies with good quality photo's or some kind soul digging through some old Supermarine National archives.

It makes sence to protect the metal surfaces against corrosion with paint and the link back to the prototype Spitfire is an interesting one indeed.

Perhaps there is some quoted reference about K5054's scheme which ties this back the other way?

Cheers.. Dave.