RN postwar submarines 1/700

After um and argh in about doing a WIP, ive bitten the bullet. As going to display at the fleet air arm museum on the 24th, i thought it would be patriotic to display some brit subs.

They are all from OKB Grigorov, solid resin with resin and photo etch parts, the simplest being a total of 4 parts, the more challenging being the oberon with 13 parts (may not sound a lot but the majority of them build the twin props with angle supports, props and spinners, get the magnifying glass out).

Anyway the submarines are;

HMS Vanguard SSBN the biggest one, for scale they are sitting on a sheet of A4

HMS Resolution SSBN

HMS Astute, still in box

HMS Upholder

2x HMS Churchill, one to be built as a HMS Valiant as although an earlier class the only differences being the internal fittings.

HMS Oberon

HMS Oberon Modernized

HMS Trafalgar

To build the parts have to be super glued together and the props bent to shape. sadly there is no HMS Porpoise, HMS Swiftsure or HMS Dreadnought & HMS Explorer (Exploder) to complete the set yet, we live in hope.

DSC_2529_zpsbv3qc10c.jpg

DSC_2530_zpscfj2wbsy.jpg

All the best Chris

• Like 6

You haven't left yourself much time Chris - the show is only ten days away :analintruder:

I look forward to seeing them on display - where will you be ???

I'll be taking some of my 1/350 scale subs - M.1, X.1, K-4, K-26 etc.....

See you there - now stop posting here and get on..........

Ken

• Like 1

Hope you've got a magnifying glass mate! Great little collection - will be watching. Sadly I'll miss Yeovilton but I'm sure I'll see them at another show.

• Like 1

Hi update on progress, the oberons have the smallest PE ive ever seen to build the propshafts, see photo, have managed to assemble one with the exception of the prop spinners and dive planes, so small even tweezers wont pick up, thank god for cocktail sticks.

The trafalgar class and HMS Astute are now assembled, four of the submarines are finished, HMS Upholder, HMS Valiant, HMS Conqueror and HMS resolution, HMS Vanguard is final paint.

Picks dont do them justice at the moment will get better pics for RFI.

HMS Valiant is all over matt black, the over three are satin black with the non slip walkway on top in matt black, difference in finish is noticeable making them look the part. The paints used are humbrol.

DSC_2532_zpsl6o3y6we.jpg

DSC_2533_zpsgg68sm86.jpg

DSC_2534_zpsxl2xwh0k.jpg

DSC_2535_zpseslufs9c.jpg

DSC_2536_zpsdazzw7pq.jpg

DSC_2537_zps1yphvst5.jpg

All the best Chris

• Like 2

So getting there with this multi build, the two oberons left to go, one on final assembly of dive planes and prop spinners, one to build completely.

HMS Vanguard, Turbulent & Astute now finished, pics below.

DSC_2538_zpsfbiyalf4.jpg

DSC_2539_zps9chmuiea.jpg

DSC_2540_zpsvsov0r1q.jpg

All the best Chris

• Like 1

So one oberon finally assembled, nearly went cross eyed, sorry close up is blurred youll get an idea of how small this assembly is the prop assembly is a total of 6mm (1/4 ") long with 4 parts per shaft, yes im officially crazy.

Last oberon modernized to go.

DSC_2541_zpsrgqstoyf.jpg

DSC_2542_zps5dpaahsb.jpg

Chris

• Like 4

We've got the short straw - in Hall 1 :analintruder: - right near the big shutter doors.

It's gonna be freezing until midday.........

Come and say hello - Avon Scale Model Society - when we have defrosted.

Ken

PS - I've never known them to put club stands in Hall 1 - only traders. Maybe 'cos the Swordfish hall is not open ?

I hope it isn't too breezy - we can't set up if there's a wind through the doors !! - as happened at Weston-Super-Mud/Helicopter museum.show.

• Like 1

Hi all heres the last update for the WIP thread, the modernized Oberon is assembled and partly painted matt black. The differences between the two oberons are 1) an enlarged sonar dome, 2) a five bladed propeller fit.

Heres some photos of the build of the mod oberon.

DSC_2543_zpskuwko0qp.jpg

DSC_2544_zpsq9pikg7z.jpg

DSC_2545_zpshhcrudkc.jpg

Next post will be in the RFI thread.

Thanks for watching and your support.

I agree Darby i do not know why they got rid of the Upholders, to my mind it would have solved a lot of their current problems having a coastal fleet patrolling our shores, while the nuclear boats did there stuff.

All the best Chris

• Like 2