Judy, a middle aged lady

dpm1did1

It went a different direction than planned so lets try again in the correct sub-forum :)

OK I need a break from my Wiffy Walrus (those struts nearly broke me!).

Here what I picked off the shelf:

Yokosuka D4Y3, model 33, Suisei

IMAG0279_zps1srget7h.jpg

The box says 1/72 but a little research suggests 1/75. I'm not a rivet counter or micrometer user and as other reviews say it's basic but otherwise fine that's good enough for me.

I did come across a query on fuselage diameter but this could be related to the iffy scale.

Instructions are a single double sided A4. As per the plastic it is simple but effective.

IMAG0280_zpsautce1vn.jpg

IMAG0281_zps5tiasdm8.jpg

Decals are Hinomarus and...err...IMAG0287_zpspfsryizo.jpg

On to the plastic.

Sprues (and loose bits & 'glue')IMAG0283_zpsdz01fglx.jpg

...tbc

Edited by dpm1did1

The parts just flew together, helped somewhat by the minimal interior and a desire not to over-indulge in detailing it.

A quick tape up/slot together:

IMAG0292_zpsevcgxops.jpg

It looks like a Judy and matches pics & plans ok (but haven't checked for size only lines and details, as noted earlier talk of it being an undersized kit)

Not all perfect though and the obvious problems are in the nose:

Both intakes are shallow. The upper is easily opened up. The bar should be more flatter but at this scale it's not really noticable, plus a fiddly operation. A scalpel blade improved it immensely.

IMAG0288_zps4wpqfwr7.jpg

The lower intake is more of an issue being roughly half the depth it should be. Again it was opened up but little more can be done. The result is the chin appears too shallow and the rear cowling flaps blend in to the belly instead of standing a little proud.

IMAG0289_zpscygfryzv.jpg

Also the exhaust slot is fully closed and the 2 addition pipes are rounded whereas they should have a flattened section. The plate is also smooth whilst it some pics it appears lightly corrugated. (other than the silver warbler though it's not clear so I will leave as it is)

Finally, and rather oddly the rear prop faces are flat!

The good news is though most issues are easily overcome or won't be noticed by the majority. What's more important to most is it correctly places the gun openings and has a passable engine, plus the basic profile is sound, of a little shallow.

IMAG0290_zpsatkatp4f.jpg

Throughout all this I can happily say that detail is more than adequate (bar the cockpit, although the heavily glazed hood obstructs the view anyway, and the very odd pilot figures who look like Dr Who rejects). Flash and seams are almost non-existent with minimal parts cleanup needed, better than many newer kits I've handled

This takes me back...

Not so much 'Angels with Dirty Faces' as pilots with disfigured ones. Good body detail but they won't be winning any beauty contests...

IMAG0294_zpswzohhuaa.jpg

And of course the obligatory hole in the back to prevent 'sunken belly syndrome'

IMAG0295_zpstkmy9s8t.jpg

Forget the LIDAR, CAD, Slide moulds etc, it's these improvements in basic plastic sculpting and engineering that raised the bar. Plus it does well to remember that engraved panel lines were not introduced in the 90s.