HK Models 1:32 Metoer F.4

I've decided I would like to join this Group build as I love the Meteor.

I have build a Tamiya Meteor F.3 and have several 1:72 Meteors of various marks and a couple of Classic Airframes kits but I have decided to build HK Models 1:32 Meteor F.4. I've been excited about this kit since it came out and have been itching to start it.

Here is a box shot along with the contents.

Metoer%20001_zpsv9fxff3a.jpg

Metoer%20002_zpskljqhncd.jpg

I have some Fisher Models air intakes and have ordered some HGW Seat belts and an interior set from Eduard.

Markings wise I have yet to decide between a 56 squadron Meteor using Pheon decals or a trainer one using the Kit World decals.

After removing the parts from the sprue the first job will be the surgery required to cut out the intakes.....

Thanks for looking.

Mark

Well I've taken the plunge and removed the air intake from one wing so there's no going back now!

The Fisher Model instructions tell you to cut the air intake off 41mm from the end of the intake without the ring attached.

I achieved this measuring by cutting a small piece of card to 41mm in length and made several pencil marks until I had gone round the entire intake.

Meteor%20003_zpsu8xzy7q9.jpg

With this marked out I stuck a piece of Dymo Tape to the wing as a cutting guide measuring and making sure it was square as I went along.

Meteor%20004_zpsqlhie7af.jpg

This was then very carefully cut with my trusty JLC saw.

Metoer%20005_zpsq2xl0qso.jpg

Here we see the Fisher Intake offered up to the wing and it looks the part.

Metoer%20006_zpsmkgopctj.jpg

Here's a couple of comparison shots of the Fisher Models intake and the assembled kit part in case you were wondering if they made a big difference. I think they do shape wise. Also the inside of the intake is more realistic and you don't have a seam to clean up!

Metoer%20007_zps80j0t26e.jpg

Metoer%20008_zps56lpqdzt.jpg

Think I'm going to the 56 Sqn aircraft from this sheet.

http://www.pheondecals.com/-32055-gloster-meteor-fmk-4-vol2.html

Thanks for looking,

Mark

• Like 1

Some Goodies arrived yesterday for this kit in the line of an Eduard Interior set and some excellent HGW Fabric Seat Belts.

Meteor%20009_zpslfgar9ls.jpg

The kit cockpit parts have been removed from the Sprue for preparation to add the etch parts.

Meteor%20010_zpsmulqxaci.jpg

I have both intakes cut out now and I've glued in the kit engine faces. I had to remove the centre peg as it interfered with the leading edge plug.They parts are very sparsely detailed for parts in this scale.

Meteor%20012_zps7ftrwsmy.jpg

However once the air intake is fitted not a lot can be seen.

Meteor%20013_zpsuvhj20aa.jpg

A problem I have with my fuselage is that the parts are packed tightly into the box and it got slightly crushed in transit and it was enough to damage the trailing edge of the wing.

Meteor%20014_zpstbmdsddv.jpg

Here we have the kit dry fitted with masking tape and the fit seems to be very good. I have also shown the tiny 1:144 meteor that came with it for size comparison.

Meteor%20011_zpsww5ov1j6.jpg

By the way I have noticed that the Cannon ejection ports seem to have been blanked off on one side for some reason so will require cutting out.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

• Like 1

Glad to see you leading the way on this one Mark, my resolution to build mine OOB has slipped so I've ordered a few goodies including the Fisher nacelles. Keep it going....I'm watching and learning!

Max

Nice work so far! Sounds like Paul Fisher is getting lots of business out of this STGB!

Michael

Cheers guys,

When the Meteor came out I was unsure if id use the kit intakes as the difference didn't look that great and ordering a set on their own with the postage and risk of customs charges. But then I ordered a couple of Paul Fishers Hunter conversions and decided I'd tag a set onto the order. I'm glad I did because they make a big difference.

Next job for me is to work on the cockpit. Black on Black!

Next job for me is to work on the cockpit. Black on Black!

Don't forget to splash around plenty of black, it'll brighten things up.

Michael

• Like 1

They certainly do. More of a difference than I realised when looking at previous photos. I'm glad I purchased them and I recommend them to anyone who can afford them after shelling out for an expensive base kit!

I managed to get some work done on the Meteor this weekend. The first job being the engine covers. It would have been nice to get some engines with the kit but sadly there is just a blank space and the aftermarket engines cost around £50 and I don't want them that badly so the covers were glued in place. The fit was good.

Meteor%20015_zpsyweqqnj2.jpg

Well, I've made a start on the cockpit. The fit of parts is great and they just click together. I had to make a few modifications to the kit parts to take the Eduard Etch.

The biggest change being to cut 3mm off the top of the seat post. This was marked out by cutting a piece of plastic strip to the correct width (OK I just happened to have one the right width lying around!) I then rested against the post so it touched the floor and was square then I drew a line' The cutting was done again with my faithful JLC razor saw. Some careful surgery was required to remove some of the detail not to damage surrounding parts especially on the rear bulkhead with all those fine rivets. Just got to add a piece of rod for the seat belt attachment point.

Meteor%20016_zpsgu4j39ip.jpg

If you buy this etch set be careful when folding up and fitting the rudder pedals. Each one is a single piece which you have to fold the sides through 90 degrees then twist the foot boards through 90 degrees into position. If you twist one too far then too far back they will break then it's tricky to hold them in the right position while the glue sets if you break them as I found when I was heavy handed with one of mine.

By the way I was concerned that the fine tubing wouldn't be up to supporting the nose with all that weight but it is also supported by a couple of locator pegs into the fuselage half so should be ok.

Meteor%20017_zpsaqv0vyuy.jpg

Was all that surgery to replace the kit seat worthwhile you may ask? Well when you compare the kit seat to the assembled Eduard one the answer is obvious. The Eduard seat is a massive improvement over the kit part I decided to solder the seat as opposed to using superglue it as it's difficult sometimes to superglue brass when the mating edge is so thin and soldered joints are stronger

Meteor%20018_zpshz9i7tlr.jpg

All it needs now is an adjustment handle which both Eduard and HK Models have missed!

The port sidewall needed careful surgery to remove a few panels and the starboard one needed one panel scraping off.

Meteor%20019_zpsb5glq75y.jpg

Just a couple of parts to add and painting can commence.

I'm really enjoying the build so far but I have a few bugbears with the kit and think it has rush job written all over it.

First up is the engines or lack of. The exhausts are far too shallow in depth and will probably need replacing with brass or plastic tubing.

The area to the rear of the cockpit is void of detail and has a recess which indicates a part should go there. I thought there was a missing piece until I checked the instructions and discovered it just didn't exist! Does anyone have any reference as to what this area looks like on the real aircraft?

Meteor%20020_zps542xty4v.jpg

Also the Cannon ejection ports are faired over on one side and open on the other side. One of the ports is supplied as a separate panel which doesn't fit very well.

Meteor%20021_zpsuxizonz7.jpg

While none of these issues make the kit unbuildable this is a £90 kit and wish they had paid a bit more attention to some of the details.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

• Like 1

Mark, I became aware of that void behind the cockpit during my research, Profimodeller do a PE set which addresses this, available from Hannants. I have it but haven't started my build yet, however I'll post a picture later. I think it would be easy enough to make from scraps of plastic strip.

Max

Not sure about the Mk.4 but on the Mk.8 that's the ammo bay for the guns and it's covered by a panel inside the canopy when it's closed but visible when the canopy's open. Again, that's a different situation with the Mk.4. Anyway, Paul Fisher includes that area in his Mk.8/9 conversion but I don't think he sells it separately at this point. Maybe if you ask nice? http://www.fishermodels.com/

Michael

You're welcome. Look forward to seeing what you do with the seat.

Not sure about the Mk.4 but on the Mk.8 that's the ammo bay for the guns and it's covered by a panel inside the canopy when it's closed but visible when the canopy's open. Again, that's a different situation with the Mk.4. Anyway, Paul Fisher includes that area in his Mk.8/9 conversion but I don't think he sells it separately at this point. Maybe if you ask nice? http://www.fishermodels.com/

Michael

Thanks, it maybe worth asking. I also noticed Fisher Models to a corrected Windscreen as well. I must admit I didn't realise it was wrong.

Would it be possible to see a close up of the resin parts for your F.8 please? I may have a bash at making my own parts for this area.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks, That will be most useful. I have already started to make an ammo bay.

Would it be possible to ask another favour and measure the ammo boxes to see how big they are please?

Many thanks,

Mark

Thanks for all the comments so far. It's been a few days since I loaded an update so thought I would share some more photos.

I have made an adjustment Handle for the seat. Not sure how accurate it is but I'm pleased with the result.

Meteor%20022_zpsqpmd25pv.jpg

After studying a lot of photos of this area on the Meteor and the various cutaway drawings I have such as the ones in the modellers data file the structure below is my best guess at what this area looks like on the meteor. It still needs more work but I'm pleased with the results so far.

Meteor%20023_zpsfkqvk0kf.jpg

It was made mostly from 40 thou plasticard.

Here it is offered up to the cockpit.

Meteor%20024_zpstqb5ounh.jpg

Here it is with the kit cover cut open and dry fitted in situ.

Meteor%20025_zpsjfjwnz6p.jpg

Next job is to add the guides for the ammo boxes and make up the rest of the bulkheads between the two ledges.

Since making this I have a sneaking suspicion that there may have been a simple cover over this area but I've made it now so it's going in.

Thanks for looking.

Mark

I've managed to finish off the main structure of the ammo bay and I'm really pleased with it.

Meteor%20026_zpsg8cccwfc.jpg

I used a piece of beer can for the floor as an experiment with the Trumpeter riveting tool to create a surface with raised rivets and although the tool I ended up using meant the rivets werea bit oversized at least I know the technique works for future reference. If you anneal the material it makes it less springy and easier to work with.

Meteor%20027_zpsrm5rhmew.jpg

I've also made a start on the ammo boxes. I had to guess the dimensions but think they look about right. Just need to add some detail and guide rails for them so they stay in the correct position.

Meteor%20028_zpsdgpxlbin.jpg

Meteor%20029_zpsjjpwmzgy.jpg

Here is the bay dry fitted into position.

Meteor%20030_zpsgfnb4ufc.jpg

I've also assembled the undercarriage which seems sturdy and fits well. I did consider the Eduard Brassin wheels but the kit ones seem fine.

Meteor%20031_zpshke84igt.jpg

Net job I need to do is paint the cockpit and continue to add details to the ammo bay.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

Edited by FZ6
  • Like 1

Meticulous work there Mark and some excellent techniques. A question from a Meteor ignoramous, is there a cover on top of the ammunition boxes, ie that flat area behind the cockpit?

Max

Meticulous work there Mark and some excellent techniques. A question from a Meteor ignoramous, is there a cover on top of the ammunition boxes, ie that flat area behind the cockpit?

Max

Cheers max. After launching into building the whole ammo bay it did occur to me that there may be a cover on top. I've been unable to find a clear pic of what the cover may look like. My model may end up being like a Zoukei-Mura kit. Featuring loads of detail you will never even see! If it turns out there is a cover over the ammo bay at least I've practiced my scratchbuilding skills lol!

I've not really done much to the Meteor this weekend as I was at Telford both days, however some progress was made with regards to shopping.

I picked up the Pheon decals I had already paid for.

Meteor%20032_zpsevjfq0f6.jpg

As you can see from the pic below the Pheon Decals are lightyears ahead of the kit decals in quality and accuracy. You get a complete set of stencils, roundels and individual markings for two aircraft. I also love the A4 colour profiles that are included with the kit which are printed on quality glossy photo paper.

Meteor%20033_zpsdufs5lpg.jpg

I also picked up a 1:32 Post War Trolley Acc. This is consists of a resin body and white metal frame and wheels. It should look really good standing along side the Meteor.

Meteor%20034_zpsaxrkfzly.jpg

I was happy with the kit wheels until I saw a review for the Eduard Brassin set on this very website and decided they looked impressive and as Eduard had a 25% off sale at the show I decided to go for a set.

As I have a Trolley Acc I decided I also needed a base and ended up picking up abase for a fiver. I guessed the size and fortunately I was spot on.

Meteor%20036_zps0vem4hpn.jpg

The work I've done on the instrument Panel consists of assembling the main components which are self adhesive. As the instrument faces of the new panels are not printed on acetate any more the printed photo etch ones lack that glazed look. I rectified this by using some OHP film . The outer surface of the panel is stuck to the film and the part was then attached to the rear face with Klear.

I shot this image to reflect the light to demonstrate the glazed effect. Just a few switches etc to add and a bit of paint to make it look less flat and it will look the part. Meteor%20035_zpsq9jyraux.jpg

Hope to get another update up soon.

Mark

• Like 2