Hornet! 1/48 F/A-18C

Hello!

After a long forced absence from the workbench I managed to get this one finished at last. This is the Hobbyboss 1/48 F/A-18C Hornet built with the aid of Two Bobs decals and a scratched seat harness from me.

Painted with Lifecolour/Tamiya acrylics and weathered with my own wash and an oil paint dot filter.

Markings are that of the USMC Squadron VFMA-122 "CRUSADERS"

Hope you enjoy the model.

DSC_4848_zps0gonz0pw.jpg

DSC_4834_zpsys8kmkxj.jpg

DSC_4852_zpsovwwk6cj.jpg

DSC_4849_zpsnlr2gjit.jpg

DSC_4846_zpsdvuzozy2.jpg

DSC_4858_zpsa2ez3jk7.jpg

DSC_4861_zpscmx26ki7.jpg

DSC_4865_zpslps88r8d.jpg

Edited by Tango 1
  • Like 34

As I have the honor to be the first, I must say : excellent , superb! The weathering is a good example for absolute proffessional modelling art. Really nice display too.

All the best.

Andy

• Like 3

Very lovely indeed! I like these markings; it seems absurd to me that the unit was obliged to lose the Crusaders moniker and artwork. Well whatever, you got a seriously nice Devil Dog Charlie there, Sir.

:goodjob:

• Like 1

As I have the honor to be the first, I must say : excellent , superb! The weathering is a good example for absolute proffessional modelling art. Really nice display too.

All the best.

Andy

Many thanks indeed Andy!

Very lovely indeed! I like these markings; it seems absurd to me that the unit was obliged to lose the Crusaders moniker and artwork. Well whatever, you got a seriously nice Devil Dog Charlie there, Sir.

Thanks! It sure was a shame that this unit lost their name, but they still have their history-and Hornets!

Nice job! One of my favourite aircraft! Great choice of decals and great paint job! I have The D version that is tempting me to build it.

Thank you! I have a "D" in the stash too, I'm thinking of building a CAF version with it.

An excellent build and finish, looks great on the flight deck dio.

They didn't really have a choice and if it is any consolation, at least the current name has origins from WWII.

• Like 1

An excellent build and finish, looks great on the flight deck dio.

They didn't really have a choice and if it is any consolation, at least the current name has origins from WWII.

Cheers!

Nice! Like that a lot!

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Very nice, and I love the deck :bouncy:

Thank you!

fantastic looking hornet, nice job on the finish....

Thanks! It took me a while to get it like that, but it was fun to learn something new.

Nice work!!!

Rod

Cheers Rod!

That looks superb! I have this kit to make also so this has persuaded me to get on with it.

Can I ask you about the colour? Is it overall dark compass grey?

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris, much appreciated!

The colours I used were Light Ghost Grey on the underside of the airframe, hardpoints and drop tanks. Upper surface was Dark Ghost Grey. I used Lifecolour acrylics, both colours are very close shades, but you can make out the difference.

• Like 1

Still my favourite of the 'eff-teen' series, so I am VERY biased - That said I really like this, excellent finish and restrained weathering. Well modelled sir.

As I have the same kit very close to the top of my 'to do' pile, any tips on the build ??, anything I need to watch-out for ??

Ian.

• Like 1

Thanks Ian!

I really like this kit and overall it was trouble free. The one thing that I had a little difficultly with was attaching the nose assembly to the rest of the fuselage, in the sense that they don't quite line up flush when mated together.

Oh yeah-just remembered! Once you have your rear canopy piece cleaned up and polished make sure you attach it to the canopy frame before painting! I forgot to do that and it was a sod

of a thing to sort out as the canopy to frame joint isn't very good. Put them together and you'll see what I mean!

It's a good kit, hope you enjoy it!