Vulcan Farewell tour - Southend viewing spot?

JeffreyK

CONFIRMED DEPARTURE: 1300 hrs

I'm heading to Cosford in about 20 minutes, i'll see you chaps later. :)

Sam

Excellent. If the time is the same for Sunday tour, then that gives me something to workk to. Cheers.

Well just arrived back from Cosford.

A great crowd had grown in size and was waiting in all places along the banks which separate the small car parks. An air of anticipation and then a ROARRRRR! She appeared from nowhere and she went as quick as she came. She was flying very low with a moderate degree of bank but alas the 10-15 seconds the crowd saw her for was not enough to get any decent pictures/videos. Unlike the Cold War Tour I am sorry to say that no-one clapped, such a shame that such a great aircraft was only visible from within the museum area for such a short length of time and I can confirm that unlike the Cold War Tour, there were no circuits-just a quick pass.

@Ace From Outer Space

I'm sure you got the best spot! :P The masses of people on the car park area saw bugger all :( Well at least I managed to see her display earlier in the year so her final year wasn't such a let-down.

Sam

Edited by cathasatail

Just got back from east Midland airport with the kids and we all are VERY disappointed ! Stood on a cold bank for 2 hrs to be told she ain' comming because of outbound traffic. At least Ryanair kept us entertained.

Just got back from Cosford, disappointed.....whoosh she was gone, blink and you missed her. Oh well will hit Wellesbourne tomorrow, hopefully that will be better.

• Like 1

Back from Cossie! I stood at the fence just near the gate where the Hunter is. It was awesome, just awesome.

It was a privilege, in fact.

I think it would have been better stood by the grass hangers at Albrighton......

• Like 1

Just got back from east Midland airport with the kids and we all are VERY disappointed ! Stood on a cold bank for 2 hrs to be told she ain' comming because of outbound traffic. At least Ryanair kept us entertained.

I guess that's why it flew a direct route back to Finningley and missed Chesterfield, and at a height of 8,000ft!

I think I was lucky as I just happened to be looking up and then suddenly there she was in all her glory. It was all over way too quickly, though I did get a few shots off. I'm sad that others did not get the experience I had, and Sam, I clapped, as did the very entertaining and informative old guy who was stood next to me although no one else did.

Cheers all, hope everyone gets to see her tomorrow,

Viv

• Like 3

Missed her at Rother Valley due to the diversion along with a couple of hundred disappointed people. Looks like the roads around Finningley will be choked tomorrow judging by the comments I heard. I'm off to Southwell tomorrow to the best model show of the year.

I guess that's why it flew a direct route back to Finningley and missed Chesterfield, and at a height of 8,000ft!

Snap - I'd found quite a nice spot near Mapperley reservoir on the top of the hill bang on the intended flightpath only to see it a couple of miles further to the west and climbing. Think it was a good few minutes early too. There would have been a few disappointed people at the reservoir, the car park was full!

I think I was lucky as I just happened to be looking up and then suddenly there she was in all her glory. It was all over way too quickly, though I did get a few shots off. I'm sad that others did not get the experience I had, and Sam, I clapped, as did the very entertaining and informative old guy who was stood next to me although no one else did.

Cheers all, hope everyone gets to see her tomorrow,

Viv

I think the main problem was that it came from behind the cold war building and so when it appeared it was directly above us, as I said it is a shame that she didn't do another pass so everyone could see her. But alas these things happen. Have a good evening :)

Sam

• Like 1

Absolute poetry in motion, she's a gorgeous old girl. It really does break my heart that is over tomorrow, nothing worse than seeing a dead aircraft. At least they are keeping systems live when she is retired. Lets hope the other big Avro at Baginton is up and flying soon........

• Like 2

Great pictures! And indeed, let's hope that the Shackleton gets to grace the air once more!

Sam

Its only a matter of time I'm told. I go up to Baginton quite often to see her run up. They are a good crew up there.....plus they support our wings and wheels event at Halfpenny Green every year.

• Like 1