Your Airfix top (REALISTIC) future releases?

dpm1did1

The Whitley was quite an unexpected one although happy it was done. I have formed a bit of a conspiracy theory for the Kate. The actual main model was the Wildcat (leading to the Martlet?) and the Kate was required solely for a Dogfight Double boxing - quite untrue of course ;)

My list reflects what I'd put my money on and not so much what I'd like to see :) 72nd only, I have no understanding at all of the market for other scales.

- Hurricane Mk1 Metal Wing. I would wager quite a bit of money on that one.

- Ju-88 A-1. I don't think it's an interesting release but I can see them doing one if only because Revell and Hasegawa have been stupid enough to leave that one out of their (glorious) lineup of 88s.

- (RAF) Phantom. We could use a new, easily available Phantom kit. I would like an F-4E but I won't hold my breath for that.

The cool thing about Airfix though is that they threw in some really unexpected kits in there this year, like the Kate and the Whitley. I'm hoping for more of the same but I won't even try to guess what they will settle on.

Yeap I concur, as both the Hurricane and the Ju-88 would fill the gap in their BoB line up (Yes you can see a box set for the RAF and the Luftwaffe appear eventually, possibly with a special combo offer for 2020).

I think a British Phantom may be in the works, but not sure if its for the 2016 line up or 2017, as the F-4k first flew in 1966 they may try for next June to mark its 50th, the F-4M was Feb 67 so it could be 2017 with an RAF bias.

I'm not sure but I think they may surprise us with a current frontline RAF aircraft be it Tornado or Typhoon as these are the types youngsters will see at the airshows but both current kits are early kits based on mockups and prototypes and are not to Airfix's current standard.

Yes I think they will surprise us with something new but no idea what, that's what makes their announcement's so interesting and their 2016 Catalogue reveal over the Christmas period should still be interesting if not quite as exciting due to the interesting reveals they do on the Workbench webpage which gives a fantastic insight into the decision and design process.

My tuppence worth

1:48 Puma & Chinook to go with the Merlin & Afghan sets

1:72 Vickers Viscount 700 or 800 come on you know it makes sense Airfix !!!! Best selling Brit Airliner great schemes how about it please please please

And upgraded tools of the 1;144 sky king range if the moulds still allow it

Eamonn

In 1/72nd scale, a Spitfire Mk.XII and a Sea Vixen FAW.2. Since they've already done them in 1/48th scale (no idea about their sales), it seems that those would make sense in the smaller scale. Those would also make me a very happy modeller.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

a quick read of the list, can't see it, given Airfix have been making over British classic in 1/48th, maybe the next flagship kit,

whose only competition is 40 year old kit with plenty of errors and still has a £100 + OOB price, but which evidently still sells because it's the only option.

Avro Lancaster.

Even priced the same as Tamiya, it would sell. Crikey, they sold 1/24th Mosquito's and Typhoons so it's not that improbable.

I think one way of expanding the Airfix range is to share moulds. Many of the aircraft want are already part of other companies back catalogue. We could have re-boxed, re-decalled kits, such as,

MPM, Boston/Havoc, Maryland, Wellington, Hudson, Sea Hawk, plus others.

Special, Hobby Beaufort, Anson, Sea Fury, Hornet/Sea Hornet, Vengeance, Whirlwind Mk.1, plus others.

Academy, B-24 Liberator, B29 Superfortress, Ventura/Harpoon, B-17B/C Flying Fortress, PBY Catalina, Stratocruiser 1/144 - 1/72, plus others.

Bilek, P-61A/B Black Widow.

I believe all of these companies have produced copies for Airfix in the past.

Any resin parts can be replaced with the normal plastic. This means any parts that are not to o good can also be replaced.

This is one way around it. I would mean Airfix could concentrate on kits, such as a Lincoln or Victor etc

Mark

Mark

Forget Russian types: aside from the difficulty of obtaining reliable data/measurements, the 'Eastern Bloc' are now well able to produce quality kits themselves. They would also have the advantage of a good home demand.

I'll chuck my thoughts in too.

Will NOT say Lincoln or Manchester, as we already do the conversion sets.

But a few that I think could be worthy are:

Harvard/T-6

Chipmunk

Mirage III/5

Su-25

Su-7/17/22

Ju88

Ju52

Hampden

Battle

MiG-23/27

Lysander

Beaufort

Would be interesting if Airfix did produce a 1/72 Su-25 and how about a 1/72 A-10, apparently a decent kit doesn't exist, could gain a lot of sales.

The 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme is next year (and Jutland too!). More WWI kits are likely, if the new Fokker D.II and BE2c sell well, and there are a lot of aircraft subjects that Airfix could do

I think one way of expanding the Airfix range is to share moulds. Many of the aircraft want are already part of other companies back catalogue. We could have re-boxed, re-decalled kits, such as,

Special, Hobby Beaufort, Anson, Sea Fury, Hornet/Sea Hornet, Vengeance, Whirlwind Mk.1, plus others.

Academy, B-24 Liberator, B29 Superfortress, Ventura/Harpoon, B-17B/C Flying Fortress, PBY Catalina, Stratocruiser 1/144 - 1/72, plus others.

Mark

Mark

Shortcut to bankruptcy. When they're busy establishing their own range of kits at a known quality and price, is not the time to rebox other maker's kits and confuse matters. If you want that old tat, buy it from the original maker

Shane

(edit: typo)

Edited by Shane
  • Like 1

Likely new mould subjects, in 1/72

Tin wing Hurricane

BoB era Ju.88

Possible because of the anniversary of the first Gulf War, also in 1/72

Buccaneer

As the Airfix NA39 was the first model I ever built, in 1962, I'd be right pleased to see a replacement for that kit's replacement. And I'd buy a case.

Shane

My Airfix wishlist:

1/48 Puma
1/48 Vampire FB.5 and T.11
1/72 or (or rather: and) 1/48 Buccaneer
1/72 Canberra B.2 (pleeeease?)

And of course as always: 1/72 Shackleton and 1/48 Meteor...

...oh... Well, sometimes dreams come true. :)

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 2

The 100th anniversary of the Battle of the Somme is next year (and Jutland too!). More WWI kits are likely, if the new Fokker D.II and BE2c sell well, and there are a lot of aircraft subjects that Airfix could do

And not to forget Verdun!

I believe all of these companies have produced copies for Airfix in the past.

Any resin parts can be replaced with the normal plastic. This means any parts that are not to o good can also be replaced.

This is one way around it. I would mean Airfix could concentrate on kits, such as a Lincoln or Victor etc

Mark

Mark

If it's quite an "esoteric" subject then yes it may make sense if there are cost savings to be had to offset low sales. However for a "popular" subject such as the Wellington it would be better to have an all Airfix mould given the way they have been releasing new toolings.