Your Airfix top (REALISTIC) future releases?

dpm1did1

The list of likeley candidates is, as expected, UK centric (with the odd Yank) so I shall add a short list of possibles from elsewhere. In no particular order:

MiG-23/27 - No readily available kits and those that are seem to be old or flawed

Yokosuka D4Y Judy - 2k+ built but rarely seen. Fits in with an expanded WW2 theme. Different engine options. Even a captured example plus an all silver warbird for that limited edition boxing!

Mitsubishi Ki-46 Dinah - hugely successful and well known. Several versions including the sleek -III. The Tamiya 48th seems to be one of the few of their aircraft kits to make it to the UK, however there's a hole for a 72nd to replace the aged mould and supercede the good but hard to source LS/Arii.

Ju-52 - Well known, plenty of versions and operators. Old mould need replacing, and quickly before Italeri realise there is a gap for a new one to replace their aging mould, or Revell shrink their 48th.

Do-217 - I suspect people thought I would add the Ju-88 bit that's too obvious. Instead a replacement for a very creaky kit that's been outclassed by the Italeri range for 3 decades already. And even if only 2 or 3 versions were released I'm pretty sure the aftermarket conversions would result in many more added to stashed for 'future projects'

And I didn't even mention the French, or touch on DHC, or...

Edited by dpm1did1

Hmmm! Probably a futile but fun exercise nonetheless! :banghead:

Near term;

A moratorium on Spitfires :wicked:

FW-190D

Blenheim V

Hurricane IIC/D (1/48)

Hawker Tempest II/V

Lightning F1/F1A/F2/T4/T5

The ONE TRUE PHANTOM (F4K/FGR 2) 1/72 and/or 1/48 with full range of air to ground load outs - not just the usual boring missile fit

Buccaneer S1/S2 - with masses of whizz bangs please.

Junkers JU-88C/G

Junkers JU-52

Avro Lincoln

Avro Manchester

Supermarine Scimitar

Any Javelin prior to FAW 9 (not bothered about scale)

Summary execution for all bean counters getting in the way of our wants

Medium term;

An extension of the moratorium on Spitfires :wicked:

VC-10 (1/72)

New tool Vulcan B1/B2

New tool Victor B1/B2

Anything Cold War with red stars on it!!

Vickers Wellington

H P Hampden

New tool 1/72 Concorde

Re tooled TSR 2 (1/72 & 1/48) with LOADS of what if markings and masses of whizz bangs to hang on it

New tool Harrier GR5/GR7/T10

New tool B-24,B-29

Summary execution for any remaining bean counters that get in the way

Long term? :hmmm: No, I ain't thinking that far ahead

Allan

• Like 1

While we're in the midst of the Great War centenary and on the back of the current surge of interest, for me it would be more WWI types in 1/72 to go with their upcoming Fokker E.II and Be2c;

• Sopwith Triplane - Revell's the only game in town and it dates from the '60s
  • Sopwith Camel - Roden's aren't bad, but I think Airfix could better them now
  • Sopwith Pup
  • SPAD VII - this and the Pup need retooled wings at the very least; both are horrible
  • RE8 - very important early aircraft only ever done by Airfix. It desperately needs an update
  • DH4 and/or DH 9/9a - other than limited run or resin kits, again these have only been done by Airfix and need modern updates
  • H.P. 0/100 or new 0/400 - wings on the 0/400 are horrible and the 0/100 has never been done as a mainstream kit

Realistically I imagine all of these would have to go in the medium or long term categories, though I was very pleasantly surprised to see the Be2c announcement so I live in hope!

Other than WWI types I too would love to see a new Lysander, Hampden and Wellington in 1/72 and I'd probably even buy a 1/48 Chipmunk, though it's not my usual scale. A new 1/72 Hart/Demon series wouldn't go amiss either.

Andy

Grumman Helldiver

Grumman Avenger

Douglas Dauntless

Patrice

I totally agree with these, but it's a Curtiss Helldiver, surely. You also have to specify whether you mean the biplane SBC (also known as the Cleveland in RAF service) or monoplane SB2C

Airfix have already left a number of "hostages to fortune" in their recent kits. Of those, I would want and expect to see in 1/72, short term

Spitfire Mk.V

In the medium term, replacing the old and tired (or just plain poor) toolings

Harvard - for me, one of the long canopy variants. A Mk.I is perhaps too much to hope for.

Halifax

Hurricane Mk.IIb Possibly a metal wing Mk.I first?

In the longer term

Hawker Demon - Hart family variants.

I don't believe Airfix will be able to maintain their severe "existing type or excellent plans" policy for too long without being restricted in their choice of popular types, but there's a lot of good stuff that could come before that.

Edited by Graham Boak

hmmm.... it might be interesting after this thread has run its course to do a count and see which aircraft has been mentioned the most.

From what I am seeing, Hampden, Beaufort, Wellington and Ju88

My suggestions in the main scales I model in:

1/48

• DH Hornet and Sea Hornet family of aircraft.
  • DH Vampire and Venom family of aircraft.
  • Hawker Hunter (single and two seater)
  • Eurofighter Typhoon (single and two seater) with modern RAF weapons fit.
  • Shorts Tucano
  • RAF/RN Phantom
  • Supermarine Scimitar
  • New tool - Buccaneer

1/72

• New tool - Eurofighter Typhoon (single and two seater) with modern RAF weapons fit.
  • F35 for RAF and RN.
  • Supermarine Scimitar
  • New tool - Vickers Wellington.

i find it hard to believe that airfix have not released a new tool spitfire mkv in 72nd, it is a money spinner and the tamiya kit is £14, the revell has no gull section, italieri is a collection of parts that may or may not fit together and with airfix's old tool mk v the mold is knacked, the time is now airfix, so many schemes to be done

newtools suggestions

1/72

spitfire mkv

hurricane mk1 -metal wing

blackburn buccanear

1/48th

bedford ql and queen mary trailer

austin k2 ambulance

Edited by gavingav1

Another dream list, why not!

All 1/72, the original modelling scale!

B-24 Liberator

Tornado GR.1/GR.4

Tornado F.3

Jaguar GR.1/GR.3/T.2

Mosquito NF.II/B.IV/FB.VI and any later marks, bascially the full range!

Rich

Ok - I'll Chime in with my Top 5

** Scale 1/72, however I'd probably pay for 48th scale for the top two **

1. DH Venom FB.4

2. Hawker Hart Family

3. Bristol Beaufort - all likely marks

4. Avro Lincoln

5. Vickers Wellington 1/1A/1C

Notable ommisions (only because I forgot) - DH Hornet & Fish bowl Canberra

Cheers .. Dave

Edited by Rabbit Leader

My top ten, for what it's worth

1. 1/48 Hawker Hunter - early and late marks and the trainer versions
  2. 1/72 & 1/48 Spitfire XIV
  3. 1/72 Avro Manchester
  4. 1/72 & 1/48 Spitfire Vc/Seafire II & III
  5. 1/48 HP Halifax B.III (the Merlin powered variants would be nice as well
  6. 1/48 & 1/24 Messerschmitt Bf 109B/C
  7. 1/24 Gloster Gladiator
  8. 1/72 and 1/48 Curtiss Hawk 75/P-36
  9. 1/48 HP Hampden
  10. 1/72 & 1/48 Bristol Beaufort

I don't believe Airfix will be able to maintain their severe "existing type or excellent plans" policy for too long without being restricted in their choice of popular types, but there's a lot of good stuff that could come before that.

I think you are being a little pessimistic in thinking that Airfix’s policy on ‘accurate’ information sources will eventually become exhausted and so lead to a choice restriction of what follows.

Speaking strictly 1/72, there is a HUGE backlog of subjects ‘ripe’ for re-issue to current Airfix standards: some, such as Alison Mustang, Sea Venom, Beaufort, Meteor 8 (none obscure types!) haven’t been mainstream retooled AT ALL since the FROG days! The list is almost endless.

Secondly many, many more, though recently (re)tooled have been inaccurate or crudely represented and would again benefit from the ‘Airfix treatment’: eg Sea Fury, Gannet, 2 Seat Hunter, Privateer, Vampire, Me410 ……. Again a near endless list.

As if that were not enough, Airfix seem to have no hesitation meeting the competition ‘head on’ eg Fortress, Lancaster, Fw190, F4F….

For ‘extinct’ subjects there is always ‘intelligent interpreting of available data’. It was hinted at Hendon that the Whitley’s (near?) constant fuselage cross section helped. In this category I’d put those with near but extant ‘relatives’ such as Wyvern, Spitfire Xll, Ar234C, Me210. They are after all only making plastic scale models, not full scale clones

Also hinted, but none named, were subjects they would like to tool but, so far lacked sufficient data (but working on it): Hornet/Sea Hornet perhaps….

Remembering that Airfix produce only some 8 new kits per year, the Doomsday scenario is a long way off. I’ll be a senior member at the great workbench in the sky by then.

Surely "intelligent interpreting of limited data" is what has been done all along, hopefully but not always correctly! It doesn't need a statement insisting on the future use of only the highest possible standards.

Your list of subjects is completely lacking in anything from France, Italy, Japan or Russia, to name four major aircraft producers. Yes, there are a lot of British and US subjects that could and perhaps should be redone, but there is a world outside the English-speaking nations.

Your list of subjects is completely lacking in anything from France, Italy, Japan or Russia, to name four major aircraft producers. Yes, there are a lot of British and US subjects that could and perhaps should be redone, but there is a world outside the English-speaking nations.

I wonder if Airfix would "lug their LIDAR" across the channel.....or beyond?

Surely "intelligent interpreting of limited data" is what has been done all along, hopefully but not always correctly! It doesn't need a statement insisting on the future use of only the highest possible standards.

LIDAR and correct engineering data don't really need "interpreting" as such because they are fact.

That I didn't mention aircraft of certain nations doesn't mean that they couldn't also be included. Boomerang, CF100, Fokker DXXl, SAAB family etc might well appear: so might Lockheed aircraft, though I didn't mention the name.

Yes: aircraft of the nations you mention have appeared from Airfix in the past, though only in small numbers - does that prove something?. In reverse order:

- Russia: I have the gut feel that they are best addressed by 'Eastern Bloc' nations. There have earlier posts on this.

- Japan: Let's see how Kate fares, but still feel the potential is limited. Excepting only the Zero, very little else Japanese has ever come from non-Japanese manufacturers.

- Italy: Italeri have produced some, though not many, Italian subjects. Don't think Revell Germany have yet produced a G-91 which their own Air Force operated. An earlier post of mine that an Airfix Fiat CR42 might appear as part of the Battle of Britain line-up was dismissed as unlikely.

- France: I'm no expert here, but there's been a Fouga Magister, though of non-Airfix origin? Alpha Jet? Again don't think Revell Germany have issued one even though, again, their Air Force used them.

What I'm trying to contend is that Airfix will be forced to abandon their current 'Verifiable Accuracy' policy, when the pool of subjects meeting that criteria is exhausted. Pool? More like an ocean, and of course new aircraft are appearing every year.

So taking into account the 10 or so new kits Airfix issue each year, 'Verifiable Accuracy' looks set for a very long run.

Not quite true for the whole thread (pls quote references if referring to a specific post and I will reword this accordingly).

In the initial post there was the D3A Val and Saab Viggan. I also added a later post of 5 further non-British/US aircraft ripe for picking (MiG-23/27, D4Y, Ki-46. Ju52, Do-217). Others have also contributed occasionally too.

A very large number of foreign aircraft simply would not make the list for various reasons:

Japanese types are often simply not well known enough to compete with the smaller European names, or the limited demand is met with rare imports from FujiGawa, so we are unlikely to see a new Emily,Willow or T-2.

Many German types would have to compete with Revell, Italians with Italeri. So whilst a Me109 or G55 is a possibility I don't see many Blohm und Voss or Cantz making the cut.

Chinese types have Trumpeter.and Hobbyboss who are increasingly seen on the UK shelves. Is there room for a second manufacturer for the niche?

Australia produced very many more designs than just the Boomerang but I suggest even a true Wirraway may be wishful thinking, and others even more unlikely.

So yes there are many firms across many continents that in theory could be kitted but the fact is in the short/medium term at least they won't.

Hornby/Airfix is the epitome of Britishness wrt modelling and is allied to a long and healthy tradition of Briatish manufacturing (of all types of vehicles). It should be no surprise that UK modellers want a UK brand to make UK subjects.

I purposely started this thread to let modellers present 'realistic' wishlists. imo The general 'Airfix rumours' thread is more than ideal for pie-in-the-sky exotica that won't see daylight on a thousand years (I know I've added a few!)

Edited by dpm1did1

I wonder if Airfix would "lug their LIDAR" across the channel.....or beyond?

I bet they would just Google 'How to hire a LIDAR in Timbuktu'...and how to book a hotel, best tourist attractions, best drinking holes close to museum X...