Your Airfix top (REALISTIC) future releases?

dpm1did1

22 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I'd love an HS 748 and Andover but can't see it, somehow.   

Stranger things have happened. After all, they gave us a Walrus!!. Who could have expected that. Hampden, Halifax BIII, Stirling and Mosquito certainly would be very nice. A new Neptune would be very nice, especially with the ancient Hasegawa kit being the only game in town!!

Allan

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Stranger things have happened. After all, they gave us a Walrus!!. Who could have expected that. Hampden, Halifax BIII, Stirling and Mosquito certainly would be very nice. A new Neptune would be very nice, especially with the ancient Hasegawa kit being the only game in town!!

Allan

Is that really the only Neptune kit available?  Really surprised by that.  Such a ubiquitous type in its day.  Naturally I'd prefer an MR.1, preferably with the snazzy 36 squadron green and white markings.  i would, however, really like Airfix to make a Mosquito two-stage bomber/PR type in 1/72.  It would be another type which they could produce different boxings with relative ease - plus, of course, nobody else makes one.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2017 at 11:32 AM, Albeback52 said:

Anyone for a HS 748 or Andover?

Allan

God, no. I can't think of anything more boring. ;)

But if we were all allowed just one, my choice would be a P-61 Black Widow. The meanest looking bird of WW2, with the best nose-art.  

Inevitably we seem to have moved from what we think will be released to what we would like to be released.

In an effort to get back on track, my five realistic releases from Airfix are:

1/72 Westland Lysander

1/72 or 1/48 Hawker Tempest

1/72 Westland Whirlwind helicopter

1/72 or 1/48 Hawker Hart

1/72 or 1/48 Hawker Hunter

What I would like to see is altogether different. Mostly.

• Like 7

Good shout on the Westland Whirlwind. IIRC Airfix have a good track record of recognising aircraft on the show circuit and releasing them in sync - with the new yellow Whirly now active.....I think probably rightly that the increased profile of an airworthy machine translates to sales, especially at airshows 'look Dad thats cool, can I make a model of that?'

TT

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Good shout on the Westland Whirlwind. IIRC Airfix have a good track record of recognising aircraft on the show circuit and releasing them in sync - with the new yellow Whirly now active.....I think probably rightly that the increased profile of an airworthy machine translates to sales, especially at airshows 'look Dad thats cool, can I make a model of that?'

TT

Currently building my very first helicopter (Wessex HU.5) so I'd definitely be interested in a new tool Whirlwind.  Navy first for me though.

With experience of the nice Hawker Typhoon both an Hawker Tempest and an Hawker Hurricane metal wing Mk. I wouldn't be a big surprise.
And fore sure I want an Supermarine Scimitar in 1/72...

But wouldn't an 1/72 HP Hampden be an realistic future release as we now have an Blenheim, an Beufighter, an Whitley and one coming Wellington?

Cheers / André

• Like 4

Ive said it before (maybe even in this thread!) but I cant understand why they wouldnt want to do:

HMS ARK ROYAL IV in 1/350

I dont know if that qualifies as realistic, but it sure seems warranted to me!  I mean, really, how could they not!!

• Like 5

Not something I expect Airfix to do but the Twin Otter, DHC-3 Otter, Beaver and Chipmunk, Heron, Dove/Devon would be lovely to replace old tool kits and those from HC.  DH Venom family would please a lot of people I suspect.  FAA / RAF Helos of all types...Most of the above to 1/72nd and or 48th.  A nice new Mossie and variants, HUNTERS, HARVARDS I would love,  And how about a nice new line in vintage airliners from the 1950s, 60s like Comet, Viscounts VC10 BAC 1-11 Herald, Early Boeings, DC- family.... all in 1/144 of course.

Basically a good look back at their  old catalogues should fuel some inspiration. Plus not forgetting those neat 1/32nd cars, the 'modern ' ones and the veteran and vintage ones too....

But... fat chance to most of the above and by the time all those wants listed in this thread are ever produced,if ever, a lot of us may not be modelling any more if you get my drift. But we can live in hope I suppose...

On my wishlist is everything needed for a 70-80's cold war RAF Regiment.

Airfield close support and ground protection

Matra BAe Rapier

Scimitar, Scorpion, Spartan ....

Land Rovers

all in 1/72 of course, perhaps a rock ape too.

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

Not something I expect Airfix to do but the Twin Otter, DHC-3 Otter, Beaver and Chipmunk, Heron, Dove/Devon would be lovely to replace old tool kits and those from HC.  DH Venom family would please a lot of people I suspect.  FAA / RAF Helos of all types...Most of the above to 1/72nd and or 48th.  A nice new Mossie and variants, HUNTERS, HARVARDS I would love,  And how about a nice new line in vintage airliners from the 1950s, 60s like Comet, Viscounts VC10 BAC 1-11 Herald, Early Boeings, DC- family.... all in 1/144 of course.

Basically a good look back at their  old catalogues should fuel some inspiration. Plus not forgetting those neat 1/32nd cars, the 'modern ' ones and the veteran and vintage ones too....

But... fat chance to most of the above and by the time all those wants listed in this thread are ever produced,if ever, a lot of us may not be modelling any more if you get my drift. But we can live in hope I suppose...

Well, some of those are already available from other manufacturers:

Chipmunk from AZ Model

Dove and Comet from A Model

VC10 from Roden

9 hours ago, T7 Models said:

Well, some of those are already available from other manufacturers:

Chipmunk from AZ Model

Dove and Comet from A Model

VC10 from Roden

Am aware of those but as is often said, they don't make money for Airfix. And they are not mainstream and  not widely available all the time unlike Airfix kits .  The AZ Chipmunk though an improvement over the Airfix one still not brilliant. The Roden VC-10 is only a Super restricting finish options with only three ;EAA BOAC and RAF tankers whereas the standard gives a couple or so more.  The Dove is yet to appear but will cost more than if Airfix produced one.

I can think of several others that could be done but  its a case of will they....?

Paul, I hate to say it but you are being a tad glass-half-empty there. That anybody is producing those subjects is cause for celebration, particularly as British subjects are still underrepresented in kit manufacturers' catalogues. And whether they are mainstream is a matter of perception.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Is that really the only Neptune kit available?  Really surprised by that.  Such a ubiquitous type in its day.  Naturally I'd prefer an MR.1, preferably with the snazzy 36 squadron green and white markings.  i would, however, really like Airfix to make a Mosquito two-stage bomber/PR type in 1/72.  It would be another type which they could produce different boxings with relative ease - plus, of course, nobody else makes one.

To my knowledge, the Hasegawa Neptune remains the only IM kit in the one true scale.There may be other kits available in different media and/or scales but, I am not aware of any. I would happily stand corrected. I agree the Mosquito is a good and likely choice. The existing kits are good but, a bit long in the tooth by now! With the impending release of the B-25, I think its  (in)famous contemporary, the B-26 Marauder is surely another likely kit to follow. The original kit is still one of Airfix's finest. I would suggest also that the Dornier Do-17E/F will follow at some point - it would be a nice companion for the excellent Do-17Z

Allan

• Like 1

I think next comes a German AC, likely the Ju 88, the A1 was never done before even so they could start with that one, the old tool is quite worn too.

Then the next US AC, a Thunderbolt series maybe ?

And what about the Aichi Val ?

Both are quite old and worn out tools either ..

Then the next British subject ...

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

To my knowledge, the Hasegawa Neptune remains the only IM kit in the one true scale.There may be other kits available in different media and/or scales but, I am not aware of any. I would happily stand corrected. I agree the Mosquito is a good and likely choice. The existing kits are good but, a bit long in the tooth by now! With the impending release of the B-25, I think its  (in)famous contemporary, the B-26 Marauder is surely another likely kit to follow. The original kit is still one of Airfix's finest. I would suggest also that the Dornier Do-17E/F will follow at some point - it would be a nice companion for the excellent Do-17Z

Allan

Yes, i remember when the B-26 kit was released.  I think I had the catalogue and they made quite a lot of noise about it so were clearly very proud of it.  I'm surprised it's not currently available.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, occa said:

I think next comes a German AC, likely the Ju 88, the A1 was never done before even so they could start with that one, the old tool is quite worn too.

Then the next US AC, a Thunderbolt series maybe ?

And what about the Aichi Val ?

Both are quite old and worn out tools either ..

Then the next British subject ...

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new tool Ju88 to go with the Heinkel and Dornier.  Same with the Val to go with the Zeke and Kate. A Thunderbolt is a good call too as there old kit looks pretty ancient now.  Maybe an RAF SEAC release.  My money's still on a two-stage Mossie for the next British subject.  I believe the Buccaneer kit has been withdrawn for good now.  Would love to see a new kit to go with the impending Phantom. 

15 hours ago, wadeocu said:

Ive said it before (maybe even in this thread!) but I cant understand why they wouldnt want to do:

HMS ARK ROYAL IV in 1/350

I dont know if that qualifies as realistic, but it sure seems warranted to me!  I mean, really, how could they not!!

I'd really love one and i don't even build ships.  I reckon a 1/350 Queen Elisabeth Class would be more likely though (in my own inner World it would actually by called Ark Royal VI though and her sister ship would be Eagle, not POW). 

Given what we've seen with Airfix redoing old favourites in the next few years I think we will see:

a Fairey Battle either in 1/72 or (my preference) 1/48 this would go nicely with the early war fighters and Wellington just announced

Upscaled Blenheim in 1/48

Avro Anson- probably 1/72

I'd like to see the following in 1:72 if possible.

Eurofighter Typhoon

Scimitar

Sea Vixen

Buccaneer

Jaguar

Tornado

Hampden

Beaufort

Halifax

I think all of the above would fit nicely into the Airfix range and would be a mixture of replacement toolings or new additions to the range.

Regards,

Mark

2 hours ago, FZ6 said:

I'd like to see the following in 1:72 if possible.

Eurofighter Typhoon

Scimitar

Sea Vixen

Buccaneer

Jaguar

Tornado

Hampden

Beaufort

Halifax

I think all of the above would fit nicely into the Airfix range and would be a mixture of replacement toolings or new additions to the range.

Regards,

Mark

Can't argue with that list.  All worthy candidates.  Maybe an F-35B will be in the cards too. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Yes, i remember when the B-26 kit was released.  I think I had the catalogue and they made quite a lot of noise about it so were clearly very proud of it.  I'm surprised it's not currently available.

Remember purchasing it way back in 1974 for the princely sum of (I think) 65p!. I think we can also realistically expect (going by past experience) that Airfix will spring at least one or two more real surprises!!:lol:

Allan

11 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Remember purchasing it way back in 1974 for the princely sum of (I think) 65p!. I think we can also realistically expect (going by past experience) that Airfix will spring at least one or two more real surprises!!:lol:

Allan

If memory serves me right they superimposed a photo of the model over a picture of the real thing, which was a Wartime colour photo, and printed both pictures on the same page.  65p was too rich for my blood in those days.  I think my pocket money was 25p.  Anyway, yes, totally agree, Airfix have really caught us all out a few times recently and long may they do so.  

Looking at what they've been up to recently,  I reckon something like a 1/72 Sea Fury would be a seller, or even a /72 Aichi Val- or maybe even a Claude might do good for them?

I know it sounds dull, but I'd be happy enough with an ACCURATE Allison-engine early Mustang. (on reflection this is not a bad idea for a kit-  A RAF/USSR Mk.I/IA boxing + a USA P-51 boxing would satisfy their current trend to release everything twice with only different decals.  Italeri and Academy keep this aircraft in their ranges despite being poor models! Yes that sounds like a winner to me.)

Will

• Like 2

At the risk of thread drift, what's wrong with the Academy Allison Mustang? Having built the Italeri I can attest to the wing root error, but I've heard nothing bad about the Academy...

• Like 1