Your Airfix top (REALISTIC) future releases?

dpm1did1

That's not fair Bill, Airfix haven't had time to respond to this latest survey. I'm sure in a year or two we will all recognise items from this thread appearing in Airfix's announcements. (Perhaps a bit difficult not to find something.) Just as long as it includes a Halifax and a Harvard.

Wish list? I thought this was what we thought likely to appear. Now, if you want to see a WISH list...

All 72nd:

short-term:

Martlet IV

Spitfire 21

Blenheim V

Beaufighter NF VI

medium-term:

Buccaneer

B-29 - Washington

F-84F

A-20/Boston/Havoc

Scimitar

Hurricane IV

long-term:

dH Hornet/Sea Hornet

dH Venom/Sea Venom

dH Comet R. Mk.2

Fairey Barracuda

That's not fair Bill, Airfix haven't had time to respond to this latest survey. I'm sure in a year or two we will all recognise items from this thread appearing in Airfix's announcements. (Perhaps a bit difficult not to find something.) Just as long as it includes a Halifax and a Harvard.

Wish list? I thought this was what we thought likely to appear. Now, if you want to see a WISH list...

Looking at some of the posts ...this is a Wish List allright!! I know that there is still time , even this year for some of the items listed in the five (and counting) pages to appear. I hope so anyway. My somewhat tongue in cheek comment was referring to the fact that Airfix's marketplace is somewhat wider than this forum. We are in a hobby to make models. Airfix are in a business to make kits.

• Like 1

When upto Airfix

Wasp

Scout

Puma

belvedere

skeeter

Gnome Whirlwind (Navy/RAF)

Alouette 2

A109

Explorer 600

I'm happy with any of these

Rodders

Add a Gazelle, call them 1:48 and I'll be happy

maybe a 1:48 Sea King? Time is ripe for that IMO. A big old yellow one

• Like 1

How about a F8 Crusader and a A7 Corasir? I don't think they've ever done them. Any scale.

I know one of Airfix's criteria is looking at the competition in a given scale and seeing whether they could do better - I think Academy's excellent F-8 Crusader may put them off, however, Airfix were one of the first players with an A-7 Corsair and it could probably do with replacement, particularly in 1/72nd.

If they were to do a Corsair, I'd rather they did an F-4U4 in 1/72nd, maybe follow those up with an AU-1 and F-4U7...

Edited by Wez

A decent Fairy Firefly to replace the old, and from what i've seen expensive, tooling in 1/72 or 1/48 would be good.

I got the 1/48 Firefly Mk 4/5 from Special Hobby. Although not a "perfect" model, it is pretty nice - worth a look.

Cheers!

Edited by FranciscoPRG

I know one of Airfix's criteria is looking at the competition in a given scale and seeing whether they could do better - I think Academy's excellent F-8 Crusader may put them off, however, Airfix were one of the first players with an A-7 Corsair and it could probably do with replacement, particularly in 1/72nd.

If they were to do a Corsair, I'd rather they did an F-4U4 in 1/72nd, maybe follow those up with an AU-1 and F-4U7...

I would not think that the F-8 and A-7 are high priorities for Airfix. A modern A-7 kit might be popular given that it had a number of users other than the USN and USAF. The Hobby Boss kit in 1/72 is quite recent but shares the same squashed intake and other problems as it's bigger 1/32 brother from Trumpeter.

Also, I'd like to see Airfix do some late Corsairs as long as they don't make the same mistakes with the F4U as Hobby Boss did with their 1/48 kits (not that they would). The -4 is substantially different from the -5/-5N/-7/AU-1 with major cowling changes and the -5 onwards had fully metal sheeted wings (something Hobby Boss missed). Italeri made a valiant effort at late Corsairs in 1/72, but they mixed up the differences between versions and none is completely accurate. It's also telling that when Hasegawa tooled up their -5/-5N/-7/AU-1 kits in 1/48 they never released a -4 using the new parts and continue to sell their old raised panel line -4 kit. Too many differences made it infeasible I guess.

Edited by VMA131Marine

I wouldn't say it will put them off and more of not really within their current planning. The B-17 has been produced to a good standard by several brands and Airfix has announced an intention to make their own version. I am building an Airfix A-4 at the moment and did note there hasn't been a follow up with say an A-4E or A-4M and I guess the A-7 is out as well. Of course it's not to say at a later time they may start releasing USN models.

It's the 75th Anniversary of Operation Barbarossa next year, so expect a dogfight double set containing the He 111 and an all new Polikarpov I-16!

YES!!! Now you're talkin'! If, in this grim world, one can say that anything modellistic is "needed", then a good, accurate I-16 type 5 to replace the rather elderly AModel version would be high up on my list! :thumbsup:

John

• Like 1

Hmm part wish list part hopefully realistic:

Near term:

- Westland Sea King (1/48)

- Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIV (1/48)

- Hawker Hurricane Mk.II (1/48)

- Tiger Moth (1/48)

- Brit Phantom (1/48)

Medium term:

- Hawker Tempest (1/48 - downscaled with stressed skin effekt)

- de Havilland Vampires and Venoms (1/48)

- Blackburn Buccaneer (1/48 - new tool as the old one is said to be damaged beyond repair)

- Hawker Sea Fury (1/48)

- Bedford QL 4x4 refueller (1/48)

- Handley Page 52 Hampden (1/48) - just had to add a sixth one

Long term:

- Hawker Hunter (1/48)

- Supermarine Scimitar (1/48)

- DH 88 Comet (1/48 or maybe 1:24 ...)

- Concorde new accurate tool (1/72)

- TSR2 (1/24) still missing in this scale :-)

Hmm part wish list part hopefully realistic:

Near term:

- Westland Sea King (1/48)

- Supermarine Spitfire Mk.XIV (1/48)

- Hawker Hurricane Mk.II (1/48)

- Tiger Moth (1/48)

- Brit Phantom (1/48)

Medium term:

- Hawker Tempest (1/48 - downscaled with stressed skin effekt)

- de Havilland Vampires and Venoms (1/48)

- Blackburn Buccaneer (1/48 - new tool as the old one is said to be damaged beyond repair)

- Hawker Sea Fury (1/48)

- Bedford QL 4x4 refueller (1/48)

- Handley Page 52 Hampden (1/48) - just had to add a sixth one

Long term:

- Hawker Hunter (1/48)

- Supermarine Scimitar (1/48)

- DH 88 Comet (1/48 or maybe 1:24 ...)

- Concorde new accurate tool (1/72)

- TSR2 (1/24) still missing in this scale :-)

Imo far more realistic than many people's interpretation of the world...although I think the TSR2 is now a dead duck.

That DH88 definitely needs a new mould. Start with a 72 with enough decals options to cover say 3-in-1 instead of the current separate boxing used for the old knackered kit (i couldn't even build it as it hurt me to try). In fact go nuts with a super-decal sheet for all 5 as they were originally built and not just the famous trio.

48 is a prime candidate for adding decent engine fronts too as at last the opeings will be large enough to see in to the darkness.

In a way I wonder if Airfix should leave the current DH88 kit as it is as - a sort of legacy. It is one of their oldest tooling going back to the 50's I believe. TSR2 is a bit of an odd one as I have heard since a rumour that Bandai commissioned Airfix to produce the 1/72 kit to tie in with their Japanese TV series. Perhaps without this the kit may have been left out of the range.

Good afternoon all

I hope you wil find time to answer some questions

1 / Do you think Airfix should produce a kit even if another brand has this kit in its recent catalogue ?

2 / Do you think Airfix should produce only british related kits and leave for example ''russian made'' kits to Zvezda or Eduard ?

Patrice

You have to look at their recent release schedules to get an idea of what themes they probably will, and won't follow. I've been thinking about this for years and watching the kits come out:

1:32 doesn't look like it will ever happen, and they've publicly said no more 1:144 airliners. We've yet to see a famous non-British post-war jet except the A-4 and Sabre, or a new-tool helicopter except the Sea King. They also have no history at all of doing post-war UK transport types.

As far as I can see, what they have been doing is:

1. Going back over some "bread-and-butter" famous WWII warplanes from all air arms in 1:72. Witness Lancaster, B-17, Stuka, Spitfire, Hurricane, 109e, Zero, Wildcat, P-51, P-40, FW-190 etc etc. In that class, my predictions would be:

Odds-on: F-4U Corsair, P-47, Me-262, P-38, B-25, Mosquito, T-6, more Spitfires and Hurricanes, Yak-9

Outside chance: Macchi 202, B-26, B-29, Ju-88, B-24, I-16, Pe-2

2. A select range of more esoteric WWII and interwar British types in 1:72 (ranging from moderately famous to very unsung) designed to appeal to the likes of us here at BM. Witness: Whitley, Blenheims, Defiant, Gladiator, Swordfish, Typhoon. In that vein:

Odds-on: Lysander, Wellington, Firefly, Hudson, Halifax, Meteor III, Anson, Battle, Hampden, Tempest, Walrus

Outside chance: Whirlwind, Master, Hart series, Oxford, Stirling, Sunderland, Beaufort, Dominie, Skua, Barracuda, Auster, Buffalo, Fulmar, Horsa, Bulldog,

Too obscure (in my view): York, Manchester, any Miles or Percival communications type including Proctor, Bombay, Harrow, Albemarle, Tutor, Shark, Albacore, Botha, Lerwick (no great loss!), Firebrand, Buckingham, Seafox,Gordon, Hamilcar, Martinet, any interwar flying boat, any interwar heavy bomber, Siskin (mind you, Matchbox thought it was a great idea!)

3. A concurrent range of 1:72 British post-war and Cold War types, limited so far to front-line combat types and trainers, and varying from obscure to very well-known. Witness, Lightning, Harrier, Valiant, JP, Gnat, Vampire T11, Spit 22, Swift, Shackleton.

Odds on: Hunter, Sea Vixen, Sea Hawk, Jaguar, Phantom, Buccaneer, single-seat Vampire, Chipmunk, Vulcan, Javelin, Canberra bomber variant, Sea Fury

Outside chance: Scimitar, Gannet, Venom, Victor (PLEASE do a B.1!)

Too obscure/large: Any transport (No Comet C.2, however much I want one...), Attacker, Prentice, Provost, Marathon, any experimental types,

4. Repetitions of better-known WW2, and post-war British frontline/trainer types in 1:48. Witness Meteor, Javelin, Sea Vixen, Hurricane and Spitfire I, Defiant, Bf109e, P-40b, Spitfire Vb, XII and XIX, Seafire XVII, etc.

Odds-on: Mosquito, Typhoon, Spitfire IX (crowded market though!), Hurricane IIc, Gladiator, Harrier, P-51, Wildcat, Corsair, P-47, FW190, Swift, Zero, Jet Provost, Sabre, Sea Fury

Outside chance: new Buccaneer, P-38, Blenheim, Yak-9, Tempest

5. Once every few years, a 1:24 kit of a famous British or foreign warplane of WWII. So far no attempt to replace the existing tools, but I think they'll consider it.

Odds-on: Spitfire I or Vb, Hurricane, Bf109e, P-51, Meteor

Outside chance: Gladiator, Blenheim, Corsair, P-47, Sea Fury

There. That's my crystal ball-gazing based as much as possible on what paths they seem to be trading. Hopefully some of this stuff will come true!

Edited by Vulcanicity

I'll give the Walrus a miss of you don't mind after my Wiffy.

Mayne if the did the undercarriage as single units with separate up/down options and better locating pins it wouldn't be so wobbly.

...and of course I hate struts & especially rigging.

The Lysander is a must. It's been on the 'wait for a new mould' side of the wishlist for an age.

Would love a Seafox to go along a Walrus but alas i think the Revell neé Matchbox will stand alone for another decade or two.

For the sceptics amongst you you can I do pencil in a few UK types, even from Airfix moulds.

Edited by dpm1did1

ok i'll play too-all new tooling of the following

Near term:

Sopwith Camel 1/72

Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5 1/72

Buccanneer 1/72

F4-Phantom 1/72

Hawker Tempest 1/72

Hawker Sea Fury 1/72

Me262 1/72

Mid term:

Hawker Hunter 1/48 (Recently their LIDAR Scanner was seen nearby the example at Duxford)

Junkers 88 1/72

Wellington 1/72

Long term:

HMS Queen Elizabeth class (both ships) 1/350

Hawker Sea Fury 1/24

You have to look at their recent release schedules to get an idea of what themes they probably will, and won't follow. I've been thinking about this for years and watching the kits come out:

1:32 doesn't look like it will ever happen, and they've publicly said no more 1:144 airliners. We've yet to see a famous non-British post-war jet except the A-4 and Sabre, or a new-tool helicopter except the Sea King. They also have no history at all of doing post-war UK transport types.

As far as I can see, what they have been doing is:

The MiG-15 is the other post-war non-British jet, although it is not a very accurate kit.

They have done two new tool helicopters in 1/48: the Lynx/Sea Lynx and the Merlin HC.3

Finally, the legacy Airfix toolbank contains a number of post war British transport types: Rotodyne, Superfreighter, Short Skyvan. Nothing new, I know, but they did release the new Dakota kit in Dan Air markings

I mostly agree with your other ideas, though I would go so far as to say that a new 1/24 Spitfire Mk.I/II/V and Bf 109E are virtually certain. They must sell, because they seem to stay in the catalogue, but they are also 40+ year old kits and not at all representative of the company's moulding capabilities.

I also think that Airfix is likely to look at current and future RAF hardware for ideas: new Tornado GR.4 in 1/72 and 1/48, Typhoon FGR.4 in 1/72 and 1/48 (I think their current kit dates back to the Eurofighter prototype), F-35B Lightning II, maybe a 1/48 Harrier GR.7/9 are all good candidates. Less likely: Sentinel R.1 MQ-9 Reaper, C-130J, Airbus Voyager tanker, C-17 all in 1/72.

Maybe Airfix would consider UK SAR versions of the Sikorsky S-92 and AW 189 now that the Sea King HAR.3 is gone.

I think you also cannot rule out more WWI aircraft. There are already two coming early in the new year and my guess is that, if these do well, there will be more to follow: Camel, Pup, Snipe, SE5a, Fokker DVII, DH9, Bristol Fighter and so on.

Edited by VMA131Marine

My list reflects what I'd put my money on and not so much what I'd like to see :) 72nd only, I have no understanding at all of the market for other scales.

- Hurricane Mk1 Metal Wing. I would wager quite a bit of money on that one.

- Ju-88 A-1. I don't think it's an interesting release but I can see them doing one if only because Revell and Hasegawa have been stupid enough to leave that one out of their (glorious) lineup of 88s.

- (RAF) Phantom. We could use a new, easily available Phantom kit. I would like an F-4E but I won't hold my breath for that.

The cool thing about Airfix though is that they threw in some really unexpected kits in there this year, like the Kate and the Whitley. I'm hoping for more of the same but I won't even try to guess what they will settle on.