Wildcat - wing tanks

deecee

Hi guys

I'm hoping someone may have a bit more knowledge of Wildcats than I do.

I'm particularly interested in the wing tanks. The standard Airfix kit has a pair on the sprue, but they are not mentioned in the instructions so presumably are not intended to be used on this version. The Starter Set however, has a very nice picture of a F4F-4 landing carrying a pair of tanks and so I would guess that the instructions in this boxing would include these and give directions on clearing the holes for mounting etc.

My only reference is Sq Sig number 84 on the Wildcat. I've been looking through this and some photos towards the end in the Eastern Aircraft FM-1 and FM-2 sections show these fitted.

What I'd like to know is were tanks only used in the later stages of the war, and were they used for particular missions?

My other query is the wing mounts. Airfix have rather simplified these and made them rather 'chunky' and I'd like to see a close-up of the mounts if there is such a photo. In Sq Sig there is a drawing showing the mounting brackets and sway braces with a separate fuel hose to the wing in a more forward position. Altogether more delicate. I would like to replace the moulded mounts with this more detailed representation - or at least give it a go!

I'm getting to like this kit! Having the wingfold option is a real bonus. Wings folded, tanks fitted. Yes.

Any help with photos would be much appreciated.

Thanks

deecee

Not really used until circa October-November 1942, and even then there were problems with getting rid of them when going into combat (which as you might expect was a sore point with pilots).

• Like 1

Aircraft Pictoral 4 by Dana Bell has close up pictures of the wing mounts on page 50. He states they were in production in mid-1942 and could be retrofitted to the F4F-3 but this was rare as they tended to fall off during catipult launches or failed to drop properly in flight.On page 58 there is a picture of a fuel tank with plywood fins converted into a napalm bomb on an FM-2.

Hi Garry

That sounds great - just what I was looking for. Would you be able to attach the image to this thread, or PM me and we could arrange something?

Thanks for your reply,

deecee

Edited by deecee

Hi Garry,

I try to share when I can, and I try to keep the books cheap enough that nearly every modeler can afford a copy. But while you're correct that the photos are not subject to copyright, remember that the captions are. I still have to spend a ton of time tracking down the pirates who scan and "share" my books online within a few weeks of publication - it all adds up.

That said, you have my permission to publish those photos in this case - I hope they help deecee with his build...

Cheers,

Dana

Just to sidetrack the topic a wee bit.

Dana, if I were to scan an image from one of your books and post it on, say, this forum, while also stating which book it was from and of course naming the author and publisher, would that be okay? Not that I have. this is a just in case, for the future.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I generally prefer not to give out a blanket authorization - things tend to go wanky eventually. However, if you (or anyone on Britmodeler) see an image in one of my books that would help illustrate a point, send me an e-mail at [email protected]. I can send you a good copy of the original scan, and probably several additional images that wouldn't fit in the publication. You could then post the images with or without reference to the book.

I may have been a bit too sensitive just now, having recently tried to deal with yet another site that promises to take down any books that shouldn't be posted but then fails to provide any working means to contact them about a problem. Must be something from the Scots side of my family...

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 3

Mr. Bell,

Allow me to apoloigize, I am a very big fan of your work. In the last few weeks I have been obsessed with the F4F and the Martlet Mk I and have been devouring all the details I can find.Your book is excellent.

I do have 2 questions.

On the F4F-3 the early firewall has a deep dish shape as seen in your book on pages 13,14, and the first pic on page 15. The panel between the firewall and the wheel well is short with 2 fastners at the top edge 1/3 of the intercooler is behind the firewall and there is no blister on this panel. On the later F4F-3 this panel is deeper with 3 screws on the top edge with the blister an a shallow firewall. When was this change made (Im sorry but the question mark is not working on my keyboard)

On the F4F-4 Instrument panel there is an instrument on the far left with a checklists inside. Pictures show takeoff and landing checklists,but I can find no information other than its' knob labled: ''8. Check-off Switch''

Do you have any information on this instrument(question mark)

Respectfully,

Garry

Hi Garry,

Actually, I am the one who owes you and everyone here an apology - I forgot my rule about never touching the keyboard when grumpy.

I'm off to the Archives in a couple of minutes, but I'll try to get you some answers when I return. If you'll post (or PM) your e-mail, I'll send along any useful images.

Cheers,

Dana

[email protected]

• Like 2

Hi Garry

Thanks for posting the images - they are going to be really useful in correcting the simplified arrangement that Airfix have provided.

I notice that the main linkage to the wing spar (centred between the sway braces for and aft) which is visible in the pics is missing from the kit and should really be represented as this supports the tank.

The sway braces are not quite correct either, The forward brace being like an inverted 'M' shape and the rear one is different again, being a mere inverted 'Y', shaped to grip the rear of the tank. It seems a bit odd to me to have this assymetric set up , maybe Dana can shed some light?

The tank with fins is interesting too. Must be a field adaptation, surely! (or should I say carrier adaptation?). The sway braces look like bent pipes and I notice the disconnected fuel line, in front of which are two pipes sticking up which I guess could be for topping up the napalm!

I must offer here my thanks to you, Dana, for not being too harsh on Garry, especially as it was his first attempt at posting images.

I tried several sources for your book here in UK after Garry suggested it and I would have bought it had one been available, because I have got hardly anything on the Wildcat. Any suggestions for a UK stockist?

Thanks again guys for your support - I'm definitely going to scratch build these!

cheers

deecee

Deecee

In my opinion, based on staring at a lot of pictures,the center section is the latch. You can see the release cable coming from the back and going into the wing, it is held by 4 bolts. The braces front and rear are probably threaded into the wing. This would allow for diffrent shaped tanks as the latch is not height adjustable. The legs on the front brace control sway and are adjustable individualy. This is an early design as I have seen it on a plane from Operation Torch.

The braces on the napalm tank are a later style with what appear to be locking collars which would make them more rigid. They look much easier and cheaper to manufacture. All of the pictures I have seen of the FM-2 have these braces.

The braces look to be quick to remove but the latch is not.A number of pictures show the latch but no braces. There is a picture of an FM-1 prepairing for launch with a tank on one side and only the latch on the other.If you search wing fold pictures, you may be able to see the latch.

Garry