Blenheim Mk.IF, L1105 219 Sqn FK-S, Airfix 1/72 ** Finished **

Having returned from the Tiger Moth GB (damn that rigging) I can now start my next, and final, two GB builds, this Blenheim Mk.IF from 219 Sqn and a Defiant, both using transfers from the Xtradecal X72117 sheet.

There don't seem to be any shots on the 'net of this subject and very few of the IF so I've borrowed one of Jon's shots from our recent trip to Duxford...

21690819581_65236d1495_c.jpg

Blenheim IF by jongwinnett, on Flickr

just to remember a great day and to (wickedly) start the 'that's a Bolingbroke with a new nose' discussions :) Thanks Jon!

As you know I'm a bit of a Bristol nut so some information on this one from various sources, but mainly from Yorkshire Aircraft here.

Blenheim L1105 was one of the first batch of 450 Mk.Is built to contract 527114/36 by The Bristol Aeroplane Co. Ltd at Filton and delivered directly to 62 Squadron based at Cranfield in February 1938 who, at this time, were re-equipping with Blenheims, having flown Hinds since reforming in May 1937. The aircraft transferred to 82 Squadron also based at Cranfield on an unknown date in 1938 and was then transferred to 57 Squadron at Upper Heyford in August 1939 when 82 Squadron ceased operating Blenheim MkI's. It then moved with the unit to Roye/Amy, in France on 24th September 1939 and moved with the unit to Rosieres-en-Santerre, in France on 18th October 1939. 57 Squadron then ceased operating Blenheim MkI's in March 1940 and the aircraft transferred to 219 Squadron at Catterick. Following the minor mishap detailed above Cat.R(b)/FA damage was recorded and it was taken away to be repaired in works with the work almost certainly done by Airwork General Trading Co. Ltd at Staverton. On completion of the repairs it was issued to 5 OTU at Aston Down but was destroyed (Cat.W/FA damage recorded) on 23rd July 1940 when it stalled on approach to land and crashed at Framton Mansell, Glostershire. The pilot on this occasion being sadly killed.

On 4th May 1940, piloted by Henry Auger, this aircraft ran onto soft ground on landing at Scorton airfield and tipped up onto its nose as can be seen on the here. Henry Auger had crash landed Blenheim L8686 at Catterick on 28th November 1939, Blenheim L6709 on landing at Greatham on 24th March 1940 and probably Blenheim L8729 at Catterick on 20th May 1940. He was later posted to 261 Squadron and flew in the defence of Malta. He was killed on 23rd April 1941 and is commemorated on the Malta Memorial.

As usual for me this will be OOB with some fiddling. I posted here about my wish to do an 'F' so thanks to Karl and Arnold for their help on locating a gun pack. I'll be using one from the Airfix IV kit (and building that later). I shall also be following Adrian's WiP notes here - thanks Adrian (again!) :)

• Like 11

Hi Ced,

Looking to seeing a 1F. Some additional points that may help (or not!):

* I never got to the bottom of how many front windows to paint over, so I didn't paint over any (yet). I think the correct answer is "one", being the lower of the two painted over in the restored Bol Blenheim.

* The clear light housings at the end of the wings are very distinctive and worth doing.

* Quite a few other builders have managed to get a better fit on the bomb bay and front fuselage than I did. You might find it worth a look in the Airfix section of Hyperscale forums as well as on Britmodeller.

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1

Hi Ced,

I bought one of these during my summer holidays. It'll be built one day... in the meantime, while it sleeps in the stash, I'll follow your build with interest :)

Cheers

Jaime

• Like 1

I started one of these on Sunday. I've got most of the airframe completed and, so far, it's been a trouble-free build but I am taking it slowly.

If you need any aircrew, Airfix only give you one bloke, give me a shout as I have plenty of un-employed pilots lurking around the house causing trouble.

• Like 3

Thanks guys, glad to have you aboard on this one too :)

Hi Ced,

Looking to seeing a 1F. Some additional points that may help (or not!):

* I never got to the bottom of how many front windows to paint over, so I didn't paint over any (yet). I think the correct answer is "one", being the lower of the two painted over in the restored Bol Blenheim.

* The clear light housings at the end of the wings are very distinctive and worth doing.

* Quite a few other builders have managed to get a better fit on the bomb bay and front fuselage than I did. You might find it worth a look in the Airfix section of Hyperscale forums as well as on Britmodeller.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian :) All points noted.

I started one of these on Sunday. I've got most of the airframe completed and, so far, it's been a trouble-free build but I am taking it slowly.

If you need any aircrew, Airfix only give you one bloke, give me a shout as I have plenty of un-employed pilots lurking around the house causing trouble.

No WiP? Thanks for the offer of the additional crew - PM sent. I hope to do them justice and promise, as usual, to make any surgery as painless as possible! :)

Hopefully I'll get some proper work done tomorrow.

• Like 1

No WiP? Thanks for the offer of the additional crew - PM sent. I hope to do them justice and promise, as usual, to make any surgery as painless as possible! :)

No WIP. No-one wants to see the mess I'll make.

• Like 2

,,, he's behind you!

It's a bit of an odd experience doing a WIP thread I find, on the one hand you feel a bit of a plank and you might perhaps worry that your inherent flatly-wooden qualities will be exposed for all the world to see; on the other you get the bants (as I believe the young chaps term it these days) and often good advice from your peers and - speaking purely for myself, but I doubt it is just me - it has done wonders for both the quality and quantity of my completed builds.

Still, it is a bit of an effort sometimes and I understand it isn't for everyone, but I'd recommend it and I'm glad you have got into the habit of doing it Ced. The only downside is that sometimes I miss out on WIP threads simply through lack of time to keep track of them all...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 6

I always raise my metaphorical hat to those who share their work.

I've been thinking about posting some RFIs and then doing a WIP, I was even toying with the idea of joining this GB, but that would mean taking photos, up-loading in them to a photo-sharing site, starting a thread on here, posting the links to the thread, keeping the thread (and build) up-to-date and, dealing with all the inevitable conversations (like this one (sorry Ced)).

I'm too lazy for all that. In fact, I'm too lazy to even finish writing this

(Edit: to correct spelling and grammar... never too lazy to do that.)

Edited by Beard
  • Like 4

You guys... :D

I agree with Stew that WiPs can be entertaining and they certainly encourage positive education and companionship amongst the 'readers' and contributors (although I'm too old to call it 'bants'!).

I also hope they help others like me who are sort of struggling with the hobby to realise that not everyone can create the perfect model (see all my posts). I usually have a look at other builds before starting a new model to see what the pitfalls might be... hopefully I'll soon start reading them before I buy the kit!

That said Simon's right too... it can be tiresome, sometimes, keeping threads up to date, especially if you haven't got the technology sorted out yet. And keeping up to date with others takes time - but I've replaced reading the news with reading BM in the morning and I must say I'm must less grumpy because of it!

Anyway, the Defiant has taken my time today just getting things off the sprue ready for painting... Blenheim next in line, hopefully later.

• Like 3

I like a good WIP.

It lets me show my wit and banter and gives a chance to hide my subpar modeling abilities.

Besides, someone might learn something from you or you might learn something from the or both.

• Like 3

I'm too lazy for all that. In fact, I'm too lazy to even finish writing this

I think you sell yourself short. I'm lazy, a terrible modeller, and trying to avoid giving a very tiny future adult human man any extremely expensive mental disorders in the early innings, but it can still be done!

Here's noted internet "meme" Courage Wolf on the subject:

b7d02492b7516df9069beedc41c6ae8e.jpg

• Like 5

I'd like to see that wolf build an Airfix kit with no opposable thumbs... who's laughing now, my lupine friend? :closedeyes:

I have striven my entire life to make 'lazy' my actual job description, I think my DNA has laziness printed through it like a stick of rock... it's not that much hassle to do a WIP but perhaps enough to make not doing it the more viable option. I think it would be more of a chore if you were only doing it because you felt you ought to rather than because you wanted to...

...I also hope they help others like me who are sort of struggling with the hobby to realise that not everyone can create the perfect model (see all my posts). I usually have a look at other builds before starting a new model to see what the pitfalls might be...

Two very good reasons there Ced. We might not be able to create the perfect model but we can still have fun trying and we can still make a decent fist of those models we do build.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 4

Morning all!

Thanks Rob :) Late start? Eh? I've got, like, three weeks to finish... better get started!!

Hi Phil :) "I like a good WIP." Fnaar fnaar...

Hi PC :) "I think you sell yourself short. I'm lazy, a terrible modeller..." Er, pot, kettle?? No sign of a terrible modeller that I've seen... I love the Wolf - "Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it" - brilliant!

Hi Stew :)"I'd like to see that wolf build an Airfix kit with no opposable thumbs... who's laughing now, my lupine friend?" :rofl:

"I think it would be more of a chore if you were only doing it because you felt you ought to rather than because you wanted to... "

Agreed. Beard I withdraw my suggestion and any implied pressure on you doing a WiP... just enjoy yourself :)

Lazy? Us? I think we're all reflecting on our high, perhaps unachievable, self-expectations and just calling it lazy. Look back at your past build chaps - I rest my case!

Hi John and welcome! :) Bolingbroke / Blenheim... I like the Bristol Aeroplane Company's stuff and I don't mind where it was built. (Canadian? Hmmm. I learn something new every day...)

I hope to have some work in progress and something to post about the (check title) Blenheim later today... there are bits done, honest!

• Like 1

Rats... page 2 and still no photos... here you go:

21826358279_f08bfd4b65_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

21987088886_7d792b642c_z.jpg

Partly Painted Crew by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

'Partly Painted Crew'? Sounds like a new boy band...

I still can't believe that guy on the right... from a 'new tool'? Really?

No comments on the paint job (yet) please - they're waiting for some more colours and some touching up (aren't we all? Fnaar fnaar!)

• Like 5

Yes the Spitfire pilot is not an example of Airfix's finest, is he? The other two from the Blenheim and the Hurri aren't a lot better, it's odd that while most of both of those kits are quite precisely done, the pilot mouldings seem very 'muddy' by comparison. Did you find that the sharper detail on the Defiant crew actually made them easier to paint? They certainly are the most impressive mouldings out of all of them.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Hi Stew :)

Yes, it's certainly 'easier' to put effort into the Defiant boys... and I can barely bother with the chubby, flat faced **!!@@ Spitfire bloke... pathetic! I guess they use the same 'template' for the molds? The Blenheim and Hurricane boys look like brothers...

Just noticed your new signature by the way... "Inclined toward alternatively available zero effort no brainer titilation forms of entertainment" - care to 'share' more? I'm always interested in a bit of titilation (fnaar fnaar - note that's come back... ooh, another one!)

Some progress, clip, chop, sand, stick...

By the way, I've 'discovered' MicroMesh! I bought a set a while ago and have been saving it for 'best'. Silly. I saw that PC had bought a new set for his Sabre (I know, not my period, but you have to support your chums) so I started using it... it's amazing stuff isn't it? A bit like the 'Molding Flash Sanders' it seems to get rid of the bits you don't want without making a mess of the part. I shall now change my allegiance and my old favourite sanding stick will, sadly, be second best... it's been such a friend but heigh ho!

Some notes for future modellers:

The wheels are in two halves as usual and numbered the same, but the fit was yuk... not up to 'new tool' standards I thought and tried fiddling / twisting but there was still an edge. I then tried swapping the parts and ta dah!

22016134015_d8053e0133_z.jpg

Dry fit first!! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

So, dry fit the wheel pairs first.

As recommended by some others I've also assembled the internal parts that get sprayed the same colour. These bits were very fiddly:

21829763499_d32200b8d6_z.jpg

Fiddly or what?! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

One of those assemblies that twists in your fingers, so take care. I've also been careful to remove all the sprue linkage lumps (whatever they're called) and flash and I hope this will avoid fit issues later.

Take care removing part 9 - the control column. From one side (the one with the number) it looks like there's a thin piece of sprue attachment but if you turn over it looks like it's part of the part?*:

21393926184_799679d27f_n.jpg21393936704_9cc18f7e34_n.jpg

Take care! by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

It would be very easy to chop that off short, especially if you're in part-removal mode. I then spent far too long with the flash sander cleaning up the control column to get it like this:

21829999049_fe50c350ee.jpg

(I've edited this URL link 3 times so out it goes...)

"Why bother? It's going to be closed up and on the ceiling!" I hear you ask. Good question. I was just, you know, 'in the zone' :mental:

* Edit: Just checked the instructions - it isn't, is it. I'll chop it off later...

• Like 3