RNZAF Corsair

ALL RIGHT!!! :thumbsup:

One of the best looking RNZAF Corsairs I\ve seen yet!!

Nice weathering and the Roundels are great too.

Bit of trivia for you.

I've long suspected that the SU (Serviving Unit) ground crews who owned the aircraft, repainted/touched up the Roundels on even the most weathered birds. This fact was verified to me earlier this year by Dave Homewood who has dones tons of research and interviews of WWII RNZAF personell. The SU crews did so, as they were proud of their Air Force markings. So looks great on your model.

Thanks for posting your model pics

Regards

Alan

Nice work, the level of weathering varies tremendously on the real think, but I think you have caught it well.

Thank you. Yes 16 Sqn moved around a bit and operated off some pretty rudimentary airstrips in the Solomons. My build depicts the Aircraft at Green Island before the Sqn moved to Jacquinot Bay

Very nice - how did you do the weathering and fading?

Pat

Pat, I dont do anything really special . The paint is Acrylic which I sprayed and added a good bit of post shading to differing panels. I've then modulated that all back with a coat of very thin lightened base colour ( I thin with Lacquer thinners) once dry and a coat of varnish is on I added a filter wash of oils then a spot filter on some panels. then a sealing coat of varnish then I added some pastels ground into the surface to replicate coral dust from the airstrip, and finally some fuel stains and gun cordite staining. I also used the 'hairspray' technique to add a bit of paint wear on the cowl and wings and the Drop tank. It Sounds a lot but it's not really. I think if you keep the weathering appropriate to the likely wear of the subject then thats a good a rule as any..

ALL RIGHT!!! :thumbsup:

One of the best looking RNZAF Corsairs I\ve seen yet!!

Nice weathering and the Roundels are great too.

Bit of trivia for you.

I've long suspected that the SU (Serviving Unit) ground crews who owned the aircraft, repainted/touched up the Roundels on even the most weathered birds. This fact was verified to me earlier this year by Dave Homewood who has dones tons of research and interviews of WWII RNZAF personell. The SU crews did so, as they were proud of their Air Force markings. So looks great on your model.

Thanks for posting your model pics

Regards

Alan

Thank you Alan.. I agree Dave Holmwood's website is very interesting and useful when it comes to RNZAF types...

Cheers

Plasto