RAF Voyager at Riga

Jabba

Whist waiting for my flight back to the UK last Wednesday at Riga airport an RAF Voyager landed a bit out of the blue. I did not get to see that close up as it taxied off the end of the runway and parked on some hard standing at that end of the runway far away from the terminal where I was sat. A strange thing did happen about 1/2 an hour before the Voyager landed and that was that a Boeing 757 painted black and operated by TCS landed and parked on the hardstanding not too far from the terminal. But instead of the passengers getting off and entering the terminal where I was sat they went to totally separate one.

Was there any connection between these two events?

Is it something to do with the "Air Policing" of the Baltic states?

Also at Riga airport next to the airport buildings is a collection of soviet aircraft, which alas I did not get to see close up only from my seat window a couple of times. I did manage to see that there was a Backfire a Mil 6 and I am sure a MiG 25, but does anyone else know what is actually sited there?

Was in Riga about 10 years ago and there was a private collection of soviet aircraft. Managed to get a viewing on a cold winters day, then the Backfire belonged to someone else but got to look around a collection of about 20 aircraft including the Mig-25. Sat in a very tidy Mig-21 and a large Mil helicopter (6?). Have some pictures somewhere.

The all black 757 is a fully fitted luxury bird so it's probably just coincidence.

I suspect it's just seperation from the riff-off of the civilian world that sees such unusual visitors parked close together away from others.

Now if it had been an all white 737 or Gulfstream....

Different terminals: International and Domestic? Tashkent has the same arrangement.

There is only one passenger terminal at Riga,

The all black 757 is a fully fitted luxury bird so it's probably just coincidence.

I suspect it's just seperation from the riff-off of the civilian world that sees such unusual visitors parked close together away from others.

Now if it had been an all white 737 or Gulfstream....

I don't think that this was a private luxury aircraft as almost a full load of passengers got of the aircraft and their baggage was taken off bag by bag. I forgot to say that it was a British registered aircraft. The plane was quickly moved after everything was removed from it to a different area of the airport.

G-TCSX is an Four Season luxury travel bird.

http://www.fourseasons.com/aroundtheworld/?nomobile=page

It's not a true corporate or private jet which is why there were numerous passenger, however it appears to be far above the usual economy class.

Anything special in Riga that week? Or maybe it was just a convenient place to park a few dozen limos for travel onwards.

There's an aircraft museum at Riga Airport, with quite a selection of ex-Soviet types. It has a website somewhere, I can't look it up as I'm on my phone. If you look at the area on Google Maps/Google Earth, you can play 'spot the plane', and Maps allows you to see a few of them from the road.

It's not unusual to dump a RAF PAX aircraft away from everything else.

Especially if just passing through. Maybe just a routine change of crew etc.

It happened to me twice at Dubai.

Both times we sat on the pan for hours, not being allowed off.

Apparently the locals didn't like to associate with us if in uniform, or something.

Rick.