Humbrol Enamel Gloss/Matt coat Advice

F4u

I need some advice please on the Humbrol enamel gloss/matt coat , I normally use a brush (hairy stick ) to apply it but if I wanted to airbrush it would you use a enamel thinner to thin it down or would this make it to thin that the desired effect would not work ?

Also can you use acrylic matt/gloss coat over enamels ?

Many thanks.

Guy

Yes you can thin it with enamel thinners

No, it wont affect the final look, gloss varnish will still be glossy

Yes you can put acrylic varnish over enamel paint; I do it all the time; Klear before decals, Klear after decaling, then matt acrylic varnish to finish off.

PS; I'd advise you to keep away from the tinlets of Humbrol enamel varnish; especially the gloss. They have a tendency to 'yellow' after a short time, giving a distinct yellow cast to your careful paint job.

• Like 2

Many thanks Black Knight I think I will use acrylic then, I have some enamels to use up then I will convert to acrylic paints I have to do it sometime !!!

Guy

You can't use acrylics over enamel the acrylic reacts with the oil in the enamel, its great if you want a crackle glaze effect but no good for a car body etc. However, you can apply enamel over acrylic without a reaction.

What happens is the oil takes an age to harden in the enamel and basically it's forever present, then you chuck acrylic at it which contains water and the oil does its best to disperse the water taking the pigment with it, the water evaporates and leaves that nasty baked earth effect all over your paint job.

So its,

enamel over acrylic

not

acrylic over enamel.

All the best,

Dave

Also, yes gloss enamel does turn colours yellow, affecting whites more than anything,

If youre going to go over to acrylic then use a rattle car clear lacquer to give the shine you require and for healths sake still use a face mask to prevent breathing in any nasties.

Edited by davejay

Umm. That is a load of tosh.

I use acrylic over enamel all the time and never have any problem.

When I blitz a model I even use the paints before they are fully dry. No Problem. Never had any problem.

I could put up dozens of photos on here showing this.

One of my favourite ways is to use a fast drying enamel base coat then use acrylics and/or enamels over that.

Enamel base coat; acrylic and enamel camo colours, acrylic Klear, decals, acrylic matt varnish - all painted within 4 hours

d5ed3975e222b10b739bb812a3af5690.jpg

Painted whilst the acrylic and enamel paints were still wet;

ef42e5db4fdb47d38028b9c3d0ed6e74.jpg

A mix of acrylic and enamel paints over each other, acrylic varnishes over the enamels too; painting time; about 2 hours.

8adda628ffc697cab58d5846e39e0cb9.jpg

I'll stop with those.

Umm. That is a load of tosh.

I use acrylic over enamel all the time and never have any problem.

When I blitz a model I even use the paints before they are fully dry. No Problem. Never had any problem.

I could put up dozens of photos on here showing this.

One of my favourite ways is to use a fast drying enamel base coat then use acrylics and/or enamels over that.

Enamel base coat; acrylic and enamel camo colours, acrylic Klear, decals, acrylic matt varnish - all painted within 4 hours

d5ed3975e222b10b739bb812a3af5690.jpg

Painted whilst the acrylic and enamel paints were still wet;

ef42e5db4fdb47d38028b9c3d0ed6e74.jpg

A mix of acrylic and enamel paints over each other, acrylic varnishes over the enamels too; painting time; about 2 hours.

8adda628ffc697cab58d5846e39e0cb9.jpg

I'll stop with those.

'Tosh' or not, its science....fact. I had my mistake experience many years ago as far as paint reaction goes, yes paint technology has moved apace but nonetheless acrylics will always react with oils. Giving advice suchas yours to someone who is asking for genuine advice is just setting them up to fail. I imagine that you have been very lucky not to have one of your projects ruined through naivety or bad advice.

Edited by davejay

'Tosh' or not, its science....fact. I had my mistake experience many years ago as far as paint reaction goes, yes paint technology has moved apace but nonetheless acrylics will always react with oils. Giving advice suchas yours to someone who is asking for genuine advice is just setting them up to fail. I imagine that you have been very lucky not to have one of your projects ruined through naivety or bad advice.

No-one I know of has ever suffered from my sound advice - advice born of of years of using paints.

I doubt very much that I have been 'lucky'.

I build 40 to 45+ models per year. I've been building models for 47 years.

Not one model has had an adverse reaction to acrylic/enamel over painting. Models painted years ago are still fine, not a sign of any reaction you are on about.

A great many modellers on here use enamel paints then over coat that paint with Klear/Future or similar product - which is an acrylic varnish despite its name as a 'floor polish'. I don't read of any of those modellers complaining that their paint has crazed because of using an acrylic over an enamel.

You had your bad experience 'many years ago' - was that one bad experience? by which you then reckon you are wise enough to give unsound advice?

I suggest you try using modern paint. Get 21st century experience before spouting about non-existent problems.

I repeat - your post of doom is a load of tosh.

The facts speak for themselves

I've never had such an insulting post aimed at me, utterly disrespectful and uncalled for. I shall withdraw from replying to this post and in fact I shall withdraw from replying to any post on here or any other forum. I thought that being on this forum would put me among friends and allies who are full of meaningful and friendly advice, I was obviously wrong.

I shall be deleting my membership from this forum forthwith and go back to how I've always done, make my own errors and make my own new ways of doing things without sharing my experiences to a wider audience.

Thank you however to all those who have made me more than welcome here and took the time to furnish me with sound advice.

All the best in the your futures no matter where they take you.

Dave