Tamiya 1/48 F4D Skyray

Hi, here's the latest completion, the excellent Tamiya "Ford". Pretty voiceless kit, any issues were all of my own making (I lost the nose wheel door for instance!)

Mr Hobby H325 for the grey and Tamiya XF-2 for the white

Aeromaster decals

Mig Ammo panel line wash

Vallejo semi matt varnish

Feel free to rip it apart - I can take it honest! Oh, sorry for the big pics, I know nothing about how to post etc!IMG_1960-vi.jpgIMG_1965-vi.jpgIMG_1961-vi.jpgIMG_1964-vi.jpg

IMG_1963-vi.jpg

• Like 19

Very exclusive model. Especially the PLW is brilliant. Not so overdone like on other models. Very realistic! Max I ask wich one one you have used? The Vallejo Semi matt is perfect, I also used it and think it is the best one.

Best regards

Andy

Most gorgeous build, Sir! (Must get around to fixing mine up; it needs a clean 'n' sharpen...)

Not a rip apart, more a half-assed pawing at the window: for some bizarre reason, VF-213 appeared to use undersize national insignia on the fuselage, photo here:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e1/F4D-1_Skyrays_of_VF-213_parked_c1958.jpg

Compare with the photo-bombing Fleet Air Gunnery Unit (Pacific) aircraft at left.

Personally, I think the 'proper' size looks better...

:goodjob:

Thanks all:

Jon, you are probably right. Does it wear away over time?

Andy, it was medium grey and light grey wash I think

AngstROM, I Hate u lol! To be fair I used the Aeromaster decals, I see why they are often referred to as Errormaster!

Live and learn

• Like 2

Hello ForestFan - Congratulations on a good looking build of your 'Skyray'.I love the clean crispness of the paint finish and the elegant chosen scheme.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Looks like an excellent build to me. Really tempted to add a Skyray except in 1/72 which I believe Tamiya scaled it down from the 1/48 tooling. Big pics are ok, only thing they did was make the model appear 1/32.

Do it!!! The 1/72 Ford is indeed almost the same as the bigger one, missing only the wing-fold option. Otherwise, all the goodies are there. It gets a few nods in the 'Best 1/72 Post-War...' thread here, and builds up magnificently. Get yerself one, and thrill to the sounds in your head! (Or is that just me...?)

Nothing wrong there. Never done one of those myself and have seen a few go for knock down prices on tinterweb. May be tempted now.

Did you manage to get to Goosefair this year? Wifey was up visiting an old fried and said it wasn't as good as it used to be. Still loads of mushy peas being eaten though

Nothing wrong there. Never done one of those myself and have seen a few go for knock down prices on tinterweb. May be tempted now.

Did you manage to get to Goosefair this year? Wifey was up visiting an old fried and said it wasn't as good as it used to be. Still loads of mushy peas being eaten though

Cheers Darby, yep took the little un yesterday, not cheap though, £3 a ride for a 4 yr old! and yes mushy peas with mint sauce were consumed!

Do it!!! The 1/72 Ford is indeed almost the same as the bigger one, missing only the wing-fold option. Otherwise, all the goodies are there. It gets a few nods in the 'Best 1/72 Post-War...' thread here, and builds up magnificently. Get yerself one, and thrill to the sounds in your head! (Or is that just me...?)

I'll get one for the stash and probably wait for a suitable GB. It is quite an unusual design and I usually build navy planes with the wings not folded.

• Like 1

I think its a very nice build actually. The choice of markings is a refreshing change from the well known Skyray Cliche paint scheme, and you avoided to common mistake of painting red underneath the leading edge slats.

-d-

Edited by David H
  • Like 1