Russian aircraft at Latakia

magman2

I must admit a certain penchant for the SU-24 Fencer, a real cold war warrior! Off to google for a kit...

oooh, new tool from trumpeter in 1/72nd? Su-24MR correct variant for the above?

Wow, I knew the Su-24 was pretty big but seeing the clip in Post 4 of this thread has highlighted just how big this thing is, it's frickin huge!! The Su-34 is a big beast too, I didn't realise it was a tamdem main bogie.

Can anyone tell me what the cylindrical object is on the Su-24 that is attached to the very front inner corner of the horizontal stabiliser? Is this some kind of mass balance for the moving stab? It can be clearly seen behind the armourers head at about 2:10 in the video clip in post 4 above.

Some great images of these jets.

Eng

Can anyone tell me what the cylindrical object is on the Su-24 that is attached to the very front inner corner of the horizontal stabiliser? Is this some kind of mass balance for the moving stab? It can be clearly seen behind the armourers head at about 2:10 in the video clip in post 4 above.

There's no mass balance there - I don't know what it is - but I found a close-up photo in a book showing it - on a Su-24M

It appears to be a short cylindrical red foam/rubber(?) tube with a black band around it (tape?) fitted directly onto the underside of the stabiliser LE root.

I can't see any antenna there - I'll keep looking.

Ken

Edit :- found this photo http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewcat.php?id=264&cid=23&min=0&orderby=dateA&show=12

Still don't know what it is for though.

Edited by Flankerman

PS ........

Just noticed it on my photo of a Su-24M wot I took at Lipetsk in 2005.....

day_02_05.jpg

You can spot it when you know what to look for......

The red cylinder is joined to one on the opposite side by tape - which is pulled quite taught.

Until we get a definitive answer, I'm speculating that it is there to stop the leading edge of the stab from drooping down as pressure bleeds off.

It's just a guess as there is no antenna / mass balance there.

Good spot Eng :thumbsup:

I'll zoom in on my photos.

Ken

Here's a zoom in ......

su-24%20stab_01.jpg

Note how the 'rope' goes over the fin to the opposite side.

I still reckon they are 'stops' to prevent the stab from drooping - dunno why though...

Fascinating detail for your Trumpeter Su-24MR.

Ken

• Like 2

Yeah, Trumpeter just did a nice guess with Su-24. They should now quickly cook Su-24M version.

However modern and correct Su-25 (also brought by VVS to Syria) and Su-34 are still missing...

Edited by Dennis_C

Here's a zoom in ......

su-24%20stab_01.jpg

Note how the 'rope' goes over the fin to the opposite side.

I still reckon they are 'stops' to prevent the stab from drooping - dunno why though...

Fascinating detail for your Trumpeter Su-24MR.

Ken

That's my kind of Engineering - keep it simple and works a treat.

If that had been a Tornadoo that did that and the squadron linies had thought of it , BAe would have nicked the idea, patented it, and charged the MoD a zillion to buy it.

Dennis

• Like 3

Once you know its there, you can spot it immediately.

Here it is on a Su-24M I photographed at MAKS 2009......

su-24%20stab_02.jpg

Note that the rope isn't as taut - it is lower on the fin - so the stab is more drooped.

As for why - probably to give the ground crew more clearance and to prevent them banging their heads ??

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

It certainly looks like a gag to stop the horizontal stabs drooping- unless that is an undesirable condition for mechanical reasons, my guess is that the linetski's need to get into an access panel that would be otherwise be prevented from being accessed, although there is not much panel rash obvious in those pictures for a routinely opened cover.

Great looking jet though...

Yeah, Trumpeter just did a nice guess with Su-24. They should now quickly cook Su-24M version.

However modern and correct Su-25 (also brought by VVS to Syria) and Su-34 are still missing...

They have already shown the artwork for the Su-24M so I guess it won't be long off. Pity they released the variants this way around but as they went to the effort to do the proper nose on the MR when Dragon didn't I can see why.

Most manufacturers release the least desirable variant first.

Trumpeter did it with their Backfires - the Tu-22M2 came out about a year before the more relevant Tu-22M3

I think Airfix are also guilty - although I can't remember what it was (Valiant?) - as are others.

It's a purely commercial thing - which is what they are in the business for.

Ken

Most manufacturers release the least desirable variant first. . I think Airfix are also guilty - although I can't remember what it was (Valiant?) - as are others.

Well, they've obviously done it with the Wildcat. I mean, apart from a few benighted souls beyond UK shores, who could possibly want an F4F-4? :wicked:

• Like 2