Airfix 1/144 Wasa

kpnuts

My new one commissioned by my boss, the Airfix Wasa, I bought it off ebay and I've no idea how it was stored but its warped to hell, its been a real pig to get it together, didn't do it as per instructions as i could not get the deck atattched and level so glued the hull front together then when the glue set glued the rear the glued the deck a bit at a time using loads of masking tape to hold it till dry.

S13STb2.jpg

RdlriFR.jpg

BbQH5eg.jpg

tKbJsGu.jpg

72QUoIF.jpg

Broke lots of these bits on the top rails (whatever they are) so will have to make some new ones.

1JQ81wj.jpg

3rIdtYm.jpg

vl5WkIy.jpg

VxaDPGG.jpg

• Like 3

There are amazing new views on the colour scheme used by Airfix all those years ago and the colour scheme that years of research have discovered. Makes for a new and colourful Wasa.

Which version are you going for KPnuts?

Hi all I've decided to display it on the turn with the gun ports open and water just starting to enter, I think that's a fitting setting.WJieK74.jpg

3x98nJq.jpg

Pk92vJd.jpg

LeoVkGR.jpg

Its my boss's ship so she's decided it's to be done as it was before it sank, the correct colours (she has been to see it numerous times)

Edited by kpnuts
  • Like 2

"Abandon Ship" - what a great idea for a truly historical diorama - the sinking of the Wasa.

I'll be following this with interest - good luck with all that colourful hull decoration getting it compliant for your bosses choice of paintwork presentation. I hope you will manage to find suitably scaled crew to add to the diorama

Great idea for displaying the ship! I agree though crew members, perhaps some even jumping overboard will be a must to carry this one off.

Martin

Not quite that far I'm aiming for just as they realise what's about to happen, maybe I couple of quick thinking sailors jumping off.

Incidentally did you know the death toll was probably much higher than estimated as a lot of the carpenters and sailmakers and their families were on her for her maiden voyage but they are unsure as to how many of them took advantage of the offer, makes it even more of a tragedy.

Hi KP

That's a nice bot of colour work you've got going on down the back end there - as an onlooker its quite easy to sometimes forget the size and scale of this oldie and overlook just how small and the amount of careful painting that goes into one of these highly decorative ships.

PS - not good on the mention of dead headcount there - what a sad way to go

Hi all a little update, well after exhaustive research(20 mins on google pooped for the rest of the day now) the Airfix kit is a little wrong the little sticky up thing on the top of the rails do not exist(thats great as I thought I would have to make some of those as I broke some whists struggling to get the warped hull together, also there should be another gun port on the second tier down sternwards of the last on on the model, roughly where the little slot is on the kit, I may add it when I find out what purpose the slot is for also the ornamentation above the top rail dose not exist neither does the ornamentation between the rails. not tremendous problems so should be able to sort them.

These are the little sticky up things which I've now removed.

ypFK4IV.jpg

gnD8IT5.jpg

Tk25mIb.jpg

oELyzFZ.jpg

kC9JWAc.jpg

877DNnT.jpg

SQEshJ7.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all Airfix missed a gun port on this so I've been racking my brains trying to think of a way of making one and I think I've got it.

first I covered on of them with bathroom sealant to make a mould then I tried to make a resin casting but it was so thin they kept breaking when I tried to get them out, so I thought I need something more flexible so being as how it was so thin I thought just acrylic paint, but that was too flexible and wouldnt come out of the mould so then I thought How can I stiffen it up a bit so I put a thin smear of superglue over it, hey presto it came out, here is the result, I may make another mould and try again as this is a bit chunky probably because of the number of times ive tried using it but at least I know it works.

eIbLLth.jpg

Y3KXVLJ.jpg

zBMOrmx.jpg

r23AAH2.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...