OOB Snowspeeder

I have been inspired by Andy's great builds of the Bandai Star Wars kits. I just had to try one out and I gotta say they are pretty cool kits. Here are my meagre efforts to bring some life to the pilot figures. I sent a bit of time with a sharp Xacto and some micro chisels to add a little bit more definition as the pilots are all one piece and there is only so much detail the kit maker can put in without any undercuts. My paints pretty basic but they should look okay through the cockpit glazing.

Snowspeeder%2001.jpg

Snowspeeder%2002.jpg

Snowspeeder%2003.jpg

All the parts fit so well together that you hardly need and cement. I'm going to get to painting the rest of the cockpit then on to putting the hull together. Plan is for a simple OOB build. Thanks to Andy for getting me hooked on these super little kits!

So much fun so far.

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 11

Dan, Roy - Thanks guys. Glad you like it so far. Roy the kit is 1/48 scale.

Andy - I am jazzed you like my little guys :D Now if I can just get the rest of the kit looking good.

Progress;

Snowspeeder%2006.jpg

Snowspeeder%2005.jpg

Snowspeeder%2004.jpg

So far all the parts fit together really well. I've been undercoating with Mr Surfacer black and all seems well.

More time to work on her tomorrow.

Dan

• Like 9

Hi Dan

That's a very nicely painted tub and crew there - a nice alternative to Andy's option to leave his flight deck empty and with his speeder stationary. I'll be following your build with interest - its good to have 2 of the same kits being built at the same time - not for comparison or betterment reasons, but simply to see how different modellers approach the same kit to reach different end results

Progress;

I have finished the basic assembly and boy does this kit have well fitting parts. A joy to build :D :D :D .

I have started on the basic paint. I need to let this lot settle in and then mask off the orange stripes. Then I can get to the part I like most. Mucking it all up!

Snowspeeder%2007.jpg

Snowspeeder%2008.jpg

I got the AT-ST the other day and I'm looking into getting both the x and Y wings as these kits will be instant classics. Pity they aren't all to a constant scale, but the prices are pretty good.

I think I need to get the base colour a touch lighter as the weathering will no doubt darken the finish. Still having fun!

Thanks for looking in.

Dan

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

This one has been sitting on the Shelf of Doom for far too long.  I couldn't figure out a way to lighten the finish without repainting the whole lot and so scared I'd screw it up I ignored it and started other projects.  Lately I though I could use liquid mask sponged on kind of like the salt technique to layer some lighter shades over the grey and then spray very thin layers of Tamiya flat white over the results to try and blend it all together.  All this was somewhat helped by the fact that I had added a fair bit of gloss clear into my colour coats and that ' I hoped' would not let the liquid mask grab too much.  Results? ( somewhat mixed)

Snowspeeder%2009.jpg

Snowspeeder%2010.jpg

Snowspeeder%2011.jpg

I've added some sponged on AK washes and I will tackle the orange stripes next.  Not too sure I like where this finish is 'at' but I figure it isn't worth worrying about until I get closer to where I'm done.  At least the model is no longer mocking me from the SoD :D

Dan

Edited by ScanmanDan
  • Like 6

Agreed, need to be lighter.

Progress?

Belly pretty much as I want it with only a bit more blending to call it finished.

Snowspeeder%2012.jpg

Snowspeeder%2013.jpg

The upper sides will take more time and I've run out of gas for this weekend and there is never much use forcing things.  A lot more work to do on the topside but getting there.

Snowspeeder%2014.jpg

Snowspeeder%2015.jpg

Snowspeeder%2016.jpg

Thanks for stopping in for a look.

Dan

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I really like what you have achieved on this project thus far. The aircrew looked good, as did the rest of the cockpit finishing. The gunner's display panel was a highlight for me.

The layering you have achieved on the fuselage gives it a certain otherworldly appearance that is kind of reminiscent of aircraft flying at high altitude (i.e. cold extremes) which would be appropriate for a snowspeeder operating on Hoth or some other icy world.

• Like 1