Academy 1/72 PBY-5A Catalina Engine Nacelle Details

Sky Pilot

In truth the Academy cockpit needs a complete rebuild - it bears only a passing, and probably accidental, resemblance to the real thing. However, its flaws are not all that prominent once the lid's on it. The engines/nacelles do stand out once you know about the problem.

My irritation is growing rapidly.....I've got the academy 'Black-Cat' and a fair amount of extras for it, I'm starting to wonderg how much will actually turn out to be useable.  The kit is a bit buried at the moment so I can't get to it to check exactly what aftermarket I've got.  :rolleyes:

Wingy-Things are the bane of my existence, they really are, even the ones I like.  :wall:

I have a number of aftermarket sets as well for my PBY kits.  I'm thinking that out of what I have, if I want to address the engines, cowling and nacelles, save for the props, the remainder of the Quickboost bits will be out (engines and cowlings) :(

On the plus side, the Squadron vac canopy, True Details wheels and Eduard photoetch are still in - unless anyone has something to add about those sets... LOL

According to what's said above, if the Eduard etch fits the Academy cockpit, it's probably wrong.  :rolleyes:

TBH I'm going to build mine using all the bits I've bought, regardless of whether they are right or not.....Painted black, with some seriously dramatic weathering and some suitably daft air-crew figures, the size of the nacelles shouldn't be the first thing one notices.  ;)

50 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

According to what's said above, if the Eduard etch fits the Academy cockpit, it's probably wrong.  :rolleyes:

Well that figures... LOL

For some time now, I've been trying to get my hands on this colour photoetch set by Platz.  Although listed as being made by a company called NBM21, the set is made in the Czech Republic, so I suspect Eduard are the actual makers of it.

HLJ lists it as back ordered, but I have a suspicion I missed the boat on that set as I have had it on order since early last year. :(