RAF roundel sizes for heavy Bombers.

Etiennedup

I am looking for the type B roundel sizes as used by the heavy bombers from 1942 onwards.

A Google search only provided ratios but no sizes for specific aircraft.

Is there perhaps a table out there somewhere?

The reason: I obtained a decal set for a 1/48th B-17 Mk.II from Kits World but the upper-wing and fin-flash seems

to small compared to photos and drawings I have.

Any info would be welcome.

Cheers,

Etienne.

Hi Etienne

good question. The Modeldecal roundel sets do list a list of types and sizes, but these are not to hand to check, but I don't know of another listing.

The other place maybe in the Modellers guide to 100 Group, as that covers the B-17 and B-24.

The book is OOP but pdf's are available online

see http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234978015-100-group-fortress-help/#entry1919794

If you are working from a photo, just use that as guide, as you should be able to assess the size from panel lines etc.

What size are the KitS World decals, as that may help? At the risk of the blinkin' obvious, have you tried bits of paper/sketched on with pencil of approx the right size on the kit to see how they look in situ?

Given it seems the best way to get some accurate info here often is to post something silly or vague, I'm sure one will be posted now ;)

HTH

Thanks Troy for that Modeldecal info.

This helped me to determine that the two biggest sizes were 75 and 84 inches which converts to 3.96 and 4.45 centimetres respectively.

My initial observation from the photos as well as paper disks I cut corresponds very closely to the 84 inch size while the Kits World

decal is exactly 3.96cm (75 inches), therefore to small .......and it does show. Strangely enough the C1 fuselage roundel on the decal sheet is spot on.

So, I’ll have to do the wing roundels (and fin flashes) by hand............ :weep:

Thanks again mate..........

Cheers,

Etienne.

Edited by Etiennedup

Hi Etienne

I was going to mention that Xtradecal do a sheet of B type, but no 84 inch, there is a 100 inch though!

I did find this

155716-13652-23.jpg

so 84 inch looks about right, have you looked at any Lancaster sheets for example? Or work out what size a 1/48th 84 inch roundel is in 1/32nd, and see if anything can be found in that scale you could use, as the proportions are constant.

Or start a build thread for the B-17, and when you get 100 posts you can ask in the 'Wanted' section ;)

Hmm, dim bit at back of brain...you did a very neat Lanc in different scheme... ah, yes, and it has C type upperwing

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234958473-different-48th-lancaster/

do you not have the B types from this in your spares? I'm having a dim memory that tamiya may have got the upper wing size wrong though?

cheers

T

• Like 1

Upper wing roundels were produced to a set formula, and their size depended, largely, on the chord; take the wingspan, divide by 3, measure that distance out from the fuselage centre line, and that sets the centre of the roundel.

Each roundel was supposed to fill the available space, without encroaching on the aileron, de-icer boot, or yellow leading edge.