Waddington Airshow - Permanently Cancelled by RAF

Breaker

Sad to see Waddington air show has been cut permanently. Enjoyed going here many times, can't think of any similar air shows as close to me!

Source : http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/update/2015-09-28/raf-waddington-airshow-axed/

Possibility is for it to be moved to Scampton but not until 2017 at the earliest.

RAF Waddington statement...

The RAF has been conducting a review of its Air Show commitments and it can now be announced that, as a consequence of significant increased security concerns and operational risks, an air show will no longer be held at RAF Waddington.

An extensive survey of alternative sites in the East of England has been carried out and the RAF has decided that it would be possible to hold an air show at RAF Scampton. However, further work is needed to address significant legal, commercial and infrastructure issues. The RAF is making every effort to resolve these issues, but it is regretted that this work will mean that it will not be possible to hold an air show at RAF Scampton until 2017 at the earliest.

The RAF appreciates that the cancellation of the air show at RAF Waddington will be a disappointment to many. However, it is hoped that the intent to establish an alternative air show at RAF Scampton is evidence of the RAF’s commitment to maintain its traditional and modern links to ‘Bomber County’.

Very disappointing but not unexpected given the review into RAF participation that's been ongoing for the past 12 months or so. The last major RAF show left in the UK is no more and I'm really doubtful that Scampton can be an alternative given the state it's in. With the RAF's 100th anniversary looming, its likely that the RN will have more airshows in 2018 than the RAF!

Mark

Yeah,.....the Fleet Air Arm can outshine Crab Air on the PR stakes for a change!!

Sad to see Waddo go for all those who enjoy it but having been stuck in traffic jams for 2 years on the trot and never actually getting anywhere near the show, ....well personally I`m not bothered! My missus said `never again' after the last fiasco anyway so that was my card marked!

Cheers

Tony

Yes,very sad about Waddington.Fingers-crossed for Scampton obviously.We enjoyed a brilliant debut Great Yorkshire Airshow at Church Fenton last Saturday.They're already planning next year's show,possibly a two day event.Watch this space and good luck to them,they deserve it.There is a golden opportunity for Fenton.Onwards and upwards I say!! All the best,Paul.

Very disappointing but not unexpected given the review into RAF participation that's been ongoing for the past 12 months or so. The last major RAF show left in the UK is no more and I'm really doubtful that Scampton can be an alternative given the state it's in. With the RAF's 100th anniversary looming, its likely that the RN will have more airshows in 2018 than the RAF!

Mark

Cosford is an RAF show, and with the stuff they had there this year, I can only hope that next year WILL be better?

• Like 1

Rats!

I had a feeling that might happen. I went to 2 Waddington shows courtesy of a fairly local coach company. Scampton does have a history (617 Squadron and - so I understand - a museum) and its the Red Arrows base.

Thank heavens I live near Duxford!

Bye bye XM607 ,

What a load of bull.

Why don't they just scrap the RAF all together there's hardly any of it left now, what's we got left 12 Tornados and a load of Typhoons that can't target their own weapons, joke

Surely the Biggest security gap at waddo was scrapping our early warning system called "Nimrod"

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

It was pretty much said at the time of the Airfield shutting for the runway extension there was likely to be no more shows, this is just the official axing.

But to me it makes sense that you don't want Joe Public wondering around the facility that is the centre piece of your airborne intelligence and early warning capabilities, especially with the rent-a-loons having the hump about Predator Operations in hot and sandy places being worked from there.

• Like 4

Why don't they just scrap the RAF all together there's hardly any of it left now, what's we got left 12 Tornados and a load of Typhoons that can't target their own weapons, joke

Surely the Biggest security gap at waddo was scrapping our early warning system called "Nimrod"

Rob, can you expand on the 'can't target their own weapons part ' , I've a feeling a number of Typhoon guys may be disappointed to hear that.

The Nimrod AEW didn't work though chap

• Like 1

Rob, can you expand on the 'can't target their own weapons part ' , I've a feeling a number of Typhoon guys may be disappointed to hear that.

The Nimrod AEW didn't work though chap

I was told that the Typhoon can't target any of its own weapons yet and relys on Tornados to do it for them. Seems a shame if true after 30 years of development.

Cheers Rob

Certainly Tranche 1 jets could not, but the FGR4 variant can. I think a couple of years ago it was an issue more to do with lack of qualified crew as opposed to problems with the jets. All part of the incremental development approach that has been adopted on the Typhoon (because we could not afford it all up front ?)

Now go to bed, it's ten past one !!!!!

• Like 1

I don't think that XM607's existence relies on the airshow somehow. Rob, go and find the current issue of Air Forces Monthly, which has an excellent article on the integration of the Tornado's armament onto Typhoon.

As PLC1966 says, Typhoon FGR.4s s can currently carry Paveway II (GBU-16) and IV LGBs and self designate using the Litening III pod. I believe that the GBU-10 Paveway II is not quite cleared for service, and validation work to carry Storm Shadow and Brimstone is ongoing with completion due for 2018. They do of course have a full air defence capability with AMRAAM and ASRAAM, and Meteor will follow in due course, while a reconnaissance capability is also being pursued.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying that abandoning the Nimrod AEW was due to a security gap, Rob. The whole saga was a dismal one, but it had nothing to do with security. Read up on it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Aerospace_Nimrod_AEW3

• Like 1

Sadly this is the way of the world, at least in this land at the momment;

Airshows cut back for a variety of reasons.

RAF diminished almost to the point almost of oblivion, let alone any real pretence of defending the country.

The kit the RAF has is compromised by a lack of readily available parts in some cases and enough ground crewin some trades.The few airfields left are under threat in yet another round of cuts. The pensions for those who are left serving have been pruned improving their motivation no end.

Any interest in military aviation is going to be hard to maintain in the next few years.

Oh well there is always the RN and ships, well polar bear droppings, they have done the

Navy as well!

Edited by Nigel Foster60
  • Like 1

I fear for XM607 as it will now eventually probably have the same fate as the Victor if the Public are not allowed there they probably won't want to keep paying to keep her painted up etc.

As for the Nimrod comments it does not related to a particular type of Nimrod more it's role as our early warning and defence system amongst others. It has left a massive gap along with everything else that's been scrapped.

Even if the airshow is canceled at least we can now see Russia's finest flying up our shores regularly :) I must say if a Blackjack or Backfire flew over my house I would be very happy provided it's not attacking us. Still good to know our Typoons are now fitted with pea shooters.

Haha I'll just stick to making models of them. It's amazing how quickly aviation has come and now seems

To be on the decline I dare say in my lifetime we will no longer have pilots on any aircraft not even airliners. I also think the Heath and Safety will be even crazier and humans will travel to the local shops in adult incubators or perhaps never need to leave the cell.

Perhaps me might evolve yet further to the point we just become a brain attached to a sofa with a built in remote control for the TV haha.

There's a lot to be said for walking the dog when I think what this world might end up like.

, right then coffee and back to plastic sticking :)

• Like 2

Perhaps it's been canned because we now operate our Reaper fleet from there along with the Air Seekers on top of the likes of Sentry and Sentinel. I get the feeling they don't want the general public that close to our intelligence hardware anymore, thus the suggestion to switch to Scampton - lots of history, but not a lot to keep under wraps.

• Like 2

As for the Nimrod comments it does not related to a particular type of Nimrod more it's role as our early warning and defence system amongst others. It has left a massive gap along with everything else that's been scrapped.

Even if the airshow is canceled at least we can now see Russia's finest flying up our shores regularly :) I must say if a Blackjack or Backfire flew over my house I would be very happy provided it's not attacking us. Still good to know our Typoons are now fitted with pea shooters.

Rob, you seem quite uncertain about the Nimrod and what it does (or did). Early warning was the role of the AEW.3, which has been discussed, a role which is currently undertaken by the Boeing E-3D Sentry AEW.1s of No.8 Squadron at Waddington. The MR variants were quite different, and carried out a very different set of duties.

Russia's finest are intercepted by aircraft carrying rather more than pea shooters. QRA fit for Typhoon seems to be four AMRAAMs and four ASRAAMs, plus the (fully operational) 27mm gun. For all your comments about it the Typhoon is more than capable of seeing people off the premises. And I suspect with the Russians now committed to Syria, reconnaissance flights of the UK Air Defence Region may take a back seat for a while.

• Like 2

Rob, you seem quite uncertain about the Nimrod and what it does (or did). Early warning was the role of the AEW.3, which has been discussed, a role which is currently undertaken by the Boeing E-3D Sentry AEW.1s of No.8 Squadron at Waddington. The MR variants were quite different, and carried out a very different set of duties.

Russia's finest are intercepted by aircraft carrying rather more than pea shooters. QRA fit for Typhoon seems to be four AMRAAMs and four ASRAAMs, plus the (fully operational) 27mm gun. For all your comments about it the Typhoon is more than capable of seeing people off the premises. And I suspect with the Russians now committed to Syria, reconnaissance flights of the UK Air Defence Region may take a back seat for a while.

Thanks for clearing that up. My knowledge of the Nimrod is limited much as I love it but I was told of its many uses many secret I was told one was for use as early warning as I remember many from the RAF saying it was a mistake to get rid of them. It's good to hear the Typhoon is capable my comments about pee shooter are light hearted banter. Mainly because I have had a love hate feeling about it I love to watch them but I guess I just miss Tornado Buccs Jags and Harriers which fromy point of view seem to be much better (rosey tinted glasses I know and nostalgia from a fan point of view) I love the Typhoon now but still can't understand how an aircraft with 30 years of development and only just finding itself can be called a success I guess this is to do with many countries trying to make it do to much. Still I ain't no expert never claimed to be but it's good to learn more.

I think my thoughts come more from someone who loves aviation particularly the noisey jets I grew up with and hate seeing the airforce how it now is. I know that's not what it's there for. Sometimes the love of aviation Vs the political intent of creating a killing machine run in different directions I guess.

Cheers Rob :)

Fair enough Rob. There are some very good books out there about the Nimrod, and they are worth reading if only because in the public eye it is a 'tainted brand' for various reasons. The truth is very different, and it was the finest aircraft in its class, operated by the finest crews in their class, for many years.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nimrods-Genesis-Hikoki-Chris-Gibson/dp/1902109473/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443784627&sr=8-2&keywords=Nimrod

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nimrod-Rise-Fall-Tony-Blackman/dp/1909166022/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1443784627&sr=8-4&keywords=Nimrod

• Like 2

Whilst in the context of 40 or so years service the Nimrod was a good aircraft by the 2000's it was

somewhat dated. I remember well my thoughts on seeing the inside of an R1 at Waddington. It looked very

dated and well worn. The pipe work for the refulling system in particular looked like something out of

the ark. The rest of the insides I probablly should not say other than it did not appear the most up to

date and was well worn.

As for the mark 4 I never saw one inside but a gent I have had the pleasure of talking to at length and

who worked on them said that there were two main problems. Firstly the spec kept getting changed and theywere always playing catch up. Secondly they made a mistake in trying to use some parts of the old

aircraft. Fitting the new to the old was a nightmare on something that was constructed in two totally

different times. I may be wrong but the old was measured in imperial units and the new in metric.

That said it would have defended our national interest better than the current situation.

• Like 2

Nice shiny new P-8 Poseidons to fulfill MPA soon? Seed corn crews operating with the USN, a Defense review due. Debate.

Nimrod MRA4 should never have happened, a political decision that was touted as the cheap option by Bae but anyone with any experience of operating old aircraft could have told them new wings on 50 year old fuselages was never going to work. Nimrod was a great aircraft, U.K. MPA crews arguably the best in the world but the decision to upgrade rather than replace was misguided and the accident in Afghan tainted the name politically. As the MRA4 would have continued to go significantly over budget, overdue and problem filled the government would have been hard pushed to defend the name to Joe Public, easiest action cancel the project, upsetting for us enthusiasts but a pragmatic decision (and I'm no apologist for the government).

And if P-8 comes off can they open St Mawgan again please?