Romanian Messerschmitts 1/72

bad edd

Those are lovely, really nicely done and good to see different markings too. They remind me of the Matchbox 109 which I had as a child and if memory serves correctly had Romanian markings as an option. However, they are a world away from the Matchbox 109 in terms of quality.

Beautiful Gustavs! They do look good in the Romanian markings. Did the markings come with the kit - I'd like to try that first one - interesting scheme with the overall dark green topside.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Thank you for your kind words.

The decals mostly come form RB's decal sheet :

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_67&products_id=465

The white 1 came from spares.

White 1 has an interesting story. The only romanian ME-109 (E) equipped Group was almost destroyed in the Stalingrad encirclement. They barely managed to escape, sometimes carrying one or even two mechanics to safety in their tiny 109Es.

The surviving pilots were integrated in the famous german JG3 Udet Geschwader and provided with 40 brand new 109G2/4 painted by the germans to resemble the romanian old e's.

So their camo was probably some RLM71 painted more or less careful over the origina german camo of 74/75/76. On some planes the green is solid, on others the original camo can be clearly seen beneath. Some were let in their original camo,

White 1 was the mount of future Ace Alexandru Serbanescu (47 air victories) .

Serbanescu_felicitand.jpg

The following G6 , yellow 1, is his last plane, in which he was shot down and killed by USAAF Mustang on 18'th august 1944.

• Like 2

Thank you for the information! I've already bought most of the Luftwaffe aircraft used on the Eastern Front, but I'm trying to add to my collection of Axis allies, such as Romania and Hungary (and Slovakia and Italy - I need to get started on those someday).

Regards,

Jason