Tamiya Surface Primer

DanB

Greetings,

I've stripped a diecast model back to the metal in readiness for a complete re-spray into another colour, and to that end I went out and purchased a can of Tamiya Grey Surface Primer (Tamiya No. 87042), as it says online that it's suitable for both metal and plastics, which is ideal as I've got some plastic components on the car that won't come off.

Unfortunately I couldn't find anywhere that stocks the Tamiya gloss black I required, so my question is, which is the best brand of spray to purchase in the absence of Tamiya? Would a Humbrol, Plastikote or Halfords paint react with the Tamiya primer? I can't see anywhere on the Tamiya can that identifies if it's enamel or acrylic either?

Or should I return it, and just get a can from Halfords?

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Dan

Hello,DanB - I have no experience with the Tamiya Surface Primer or what would be compatible to overcoat it with.However,I could whole-heartedly recommend Halfords Grey Primer(Advanced Acrylic Formula) is designed for metal surfaces.It's a beautifully smooth paint.It will provide a perfect base to work on.Plastikote isn't something I'd consider at all.I've used Enamels on top of the Grey Primer without a seconds problem.Other Halfords Acrylic Car Paints are also a suitable option for a finishing paint.I hope this gives some food for thought and good luck with the project.All the best,Paul.

Tamiya primer is superb. I use it a lot on my kits and have painted enamels and acrylics over it with no reactions or any other problems.

I'm a bit late now seeing as though you took it back, but it really is good stuff.

Sean