More New Airfix for 2016 - 1/48 P-40B & 1/72 B5N1 Kate

DaveCS

A lot of this "makes sense" for Airfix. Upscaling the P-40B that already exists in 1/72 and "backdating" the B5N2 that JUST showed up on shelves recently....

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/p40b_and_b5n1_meteor/

I'm still hoping to see some of their older kits being re-tooled; I mean, they can't announce ALL their 2016 new releases and not give us a new tool Anson or Battle or. . . . . :D

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

...or a 72nd Flycatcher (I know, wrong period for this subforum). The only long run Flycatcher ever done was the lovely Inpact kit, and the market should be ready for a second tool after 50 years (or almost). I mean, they need something to keep their lovely Bulldog company, and while being at that, they could consider a retooled Demon (with which I am back on period topic, partly at least).

I wish they wouldn't do this! For some reason, a slew of recent releases (many of them from The Big A!) are luring me way off my beaten track.

The 1/72 B5N2 looks like a little gem. Like G.R. Morrison over on ARC, I would really like to build Lt Nomoto Jun's ride from the Shirasagi Special Attack Unit at Himeji in 1945.

Now, if they scaled that one up to 1/48... :yahoo:

Edited by AngstROM

Just my take on what Airfix is doing; I honestly think some of the kits, when they bring them out as new tools (Kate, Defiant, etc. etc. ) are "tested" on the "One True Scale" and if they see a market for them there, they think "let's scale this one up to 1/48. It's almost like test marketing a new product.

I could be wrong of course (and many times.... well.. a ton of times... I am :D ) but I think if that's their method, it seems to work out well.

Cheers,
Dave

I'll be in for one of these. I would of maybe bought more before, but Airfix are bringing out so much I want, that I've got to leave room for some of their other kits :)

OK maybe I'll get two...

Edited by Tbolt

I'm afraid the P40B is my least favourite of the P40s. Plus for some reason Japanese aircraft don't do it me. So not that enthused about either. But then again it does depend on the decal options in the P40 kit. Having said that both are good choices for Airfix and no doubt will sell well.

• Like 1

Accurate Anson, Battle and Lysander would be very nice. Also a P-51B as there's no good one in 1/72. I am happy about the P-40B in 1/48 too.

I have the new KP 1/72 P-51B/C kit and it looks very good. Pretty cheap too!

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KPM7229

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KPM7230

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KPM7231

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KPM7232

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KPM7233

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 1

Just my take on what Airfix is doing; I honestly think some of the kits, when they bring them out as new tools (Kate, Defiant, etc. etc. ) are "tested" on the "One True Scale" and if they see a market for them there, they think "let's scale this one up to 1/48. It's almost like test marketing a new product.

I could be wrong of course (and many times.... well.. a ton of times... I am :D ) but I think if that's their method, it seems to work out well.

Cheers,

Dave

I believe in 2013 at SMW when they announced the big Tiffie they made it clear the 1/72 scale Tiffie was to both test the market and see what was possible in the scale (detail wise). It gave them some confidence to move forward with the 1/24th version.

In 2014 ISTR talk that scaling up from 1/72 was relatively easy, but required additional details due to modeler expectations. Scaling down was harder because detail had to be removed and scale appropriate detail corrected, considering limitations of molding technologies. They mentioned it was essentially easier to start over than just scale down.

Tim

• Like 1

I'm afraid the P40B is my least favourite of the P40s. Plus for some reason Japanese aircraft don't do it me. So not that enthused about either. But then again it does depend on the decal options in the P40 kit. Having said that both are good choices for Airfix and no doubt will sell well.

There's is other P-40's I would have preferred, like a P-40F/L, but it will be nice to see anyway. It will be interesting to see what decals appear - Yellow Wings have got a B/C sheet coming soon.

I believe in 2013 at SMW when they announced the big Tiffie they made it clear the 1/72 scale Tiffie was to both test the market and see what was possible in the scale (detail wise). It gave them some confidence to move forward with the 1/24th version.

In 2014 ISTR talk that scaling up from 1/72 was relatively easy, but required additional details due to modeler expectations. Scaling down was harder because detail had to be removed and scale appropriate detail corrected, considering limitations of molding technologies. They mentioned it was essentially easier to start over than just scale down.

Tim

Scaling up is diffficult as well as you have to adjust the thickness of plastic, attachment points etc etc. They might start with the same data but it's essentially a new process

Hi all,

I take note of what Airfix has been doing in recent years and also how disappointed I was with the Trumpeter P-40B. Putting those two items together, I am really pleased to hear about the new P-40B for next year. I think there are many modelers who crave this kit in 1/48 if done well. +1 to Airfix!

Cheers, Jim

I have the new KP 1/72 P-51B/C kit and it looks very good. Pretty cheap too!

I have it too. It has a lot of pluses, but some frustrating negatives. I could live with the problem with the wheel well, and the apparent problem with the outer gun placement, the cockpit's supposed slight displacement and the alleged slight rotation forward (or was it aft) of the vertical tail, and the weirdly configured rudder where the mass balance as part of the fin.. But sorry, don't want to ruin it for you, but the nose contours suck, and just looks so obviously wrong, pinched and anorexic. Sad because the molding and details are indeed very, very nice, as are the decals. Also annoyed they couldn't see fit to provide the ubiquitous wing pylons on the sprues, much less 75 or 110 gallon tanks. I'm trying to cross-fit the wing of the KP kit to the Hasegawa fuselage-or maybe the nose and tail from Hasegawa to the KP kit, either ignoring the slightly short Hase fuselage, or the slight misplacement of the cockpit by KP. Neither of these is really noticeable to me, so whichever is easier I suppose.

If Airfix got it dimensionally right, right leading edge extension, wheel wells, undercarrage, positionable flaps, for under 10 US like the D, it'd be a winner.

Avtar, Airfix P40B

So who, for 3 boiled eggs, a subscription to Stoat fondlers monthly and a cashmere cod piece can guess what kit I will be buying?

Cant beat a wee bit of P40

One can do a decent P-40F and/or L with the AMT/AMTech molds, but there has really been no good choice for a B/C. I know the Tomahawk wasn't particularly successful for the British, but it was certainly important enough in other areas of the war to deserve a good, accurate kit, which I have high hopes Airfix will provide.

• Like 1

One can do a decent P-40F and/or L with the AMT/AMTech molds, but there has really been no good choice for a B/C. I know the Tomahawk wasn't particularly successful for the British, but it was certainly important enough in other areas of the war to deserve a good, accurate kit, which I have high hopes Airfix will provide.

The AMT/AMTech kit isn't terrible, but I would argue that the definitive P-40F/L is yet to be kitted in 1/48 (or 1/72 or 1/32 for that matter). It's not a minor subtype either. The F's and L's were used extensively in the Med by the USAAF against the Luftwaffe and the Italians and it was flown by the Tuskegee Airmen.If Airfix do another P-40 in 1/48 or 1/72, it should be an F/L.

• Like 4

The AMT/AMTech kit isn't terrible, but I would argue that the definitive P-40F/L is yet to be kitted in 1/48 (or 1/72 or 1/32 for that matter). It's not a minor subtype either. The F's and L's were used extensively in the Med by the USAAF against the Luftwaffe and the Italians and it was flown by the Tuskegee Airmen.If Airfix do another P-40 in 1/48 or 1/72, it should be an F/L.

Not forgetting the Use of the F/L by the RAF and Squadrons under its command (ie 3 RAAF) 260 Sq used the short tailed F as did

3 RAAF . 3 RAAF going on to use the longer L model

Cheers

Terry McGrady

• Like 1

I'd welcome a good mainstream P-40F/L in 1/72 but also a re-engineered method of installing those awkward side transparencies on Hawks that doesn't involve trying to keep the glue only on the chamfered edges that never seem to fit the locating grooves. Or half a dozen spare transparencies in each kit please!

Nick

• Like 5

I'd welcome a good mainstream P-40F/L in 1/72 but also a re-engineered method of installing those awkward side transparencies on Hawks that doesn't involve trying to keep the glue only on the chamfered edges that never seem to fit the locating grooves. Or half a dozen spare transparencies in each kit please!

Nick

Amen to that

• 2 weeks later...