1/144 - Boeing KC-135A/R Stratotanker & EC-135C "Looking Glass" by Minicraft - released - new Academy KC-135R boxing in 2024

Homebee

• 1 year later...

- ref.14708 - USAF KC-135R Fuel Tanker

Source: http://minicraftmodels.com/products/14708-1-144-usaf-kc-135r-fuel-tanker

14708_1024x1024.jpg?v=1423599677

And...

Source: http://sandmmodels.co.uk/misc-news/news-for-ipms-telford-2016/

News for IPMS Telford 2016

21st October 2016

S&M Models is pleased to announce the following new products which will be available at IPMS Telford on November 12th & 13th.

(...)

British RC-135W Airseekers.  This resin Conversion is based on the Minicraft KC-135R new tool kit and also contains new engine parts so any Minicraft KC-135 issue Kit may be used.  Silk screen Decals printed by Fantasy Print Shop for all three in service aircraft including the 2016 anniversary tail markings.

(...)

Scan_20161021

V.P.

3 hours ago, Jabba said:

Would be good if you can find the Minicraft kits in the UK.

Hannants used to be a reasonably reliable source for them, but now have only a small number in stock, most limited availability, and while their computer hasn't got around to deleting some Minicraft items from my watching list, these aren't on their system anywhere else and I'd be surprised if they actually emerged. The rot seemed to set in when a version (I forget which) of the DC-8 was deleted from the future release list with some regretful noises from the Lowestoft area, which made me think that there might have been some sort of problem with the importer.

ISTR someone muttering that Amerang were the importer and suggesting that they have no interest in bringing the kits to the UK (unless, it was darkly hinted, an Amerang employee wanted one). Does anyone know the actual state of affairs?

• 4 months later...

Hi Folks,

Has anyone found anywhere in the UK yet where we can buy the Minicraft KC-135R ?

I'm keen to build an RAF Rivet Joint if I can.  Also has S & M actually bought out the RAF RJ Decals and Resin set yet, they promised it for Telford last year didn't they?

I suppose it is a waste of time them bringing out the conversion set though if you cannot get the Minicraft kit in this country.  Are there any nice American modellers out there who would be willing to post one to a Brit if I Paypal'd them the cost of the kit and normal postage, please?

Homebee, are you back at Waddo these days?

Cheers

Radar

I have found the easiest source is to use Amazon.  UK amazon (.co.uk) sometimes has them albeit expensive, but Amazon.com has had some at very reasonable prices.  Of course the dollar rate has hasn't helped, and there is always the customs charges lottery, but it might be worth a look.  Some KC-135Rs on te site today for around £42 inc p&p.

George

16 hours ago, Radar said:

Hi Folks,

Has anyone found anywhere in the UK yet where we can buy the Minicraft KC-135R ?

I'm keen to build an RAF Rivet Joint if I can.  Also has S & M actually bought out the RAF RJ Decals and Resin set yet, they promised it for Telford last year didn't they?

I suppose it is a waste of time them bringing out the conversion set though if you cannot get the Minicraft kit in this country.  Are there any nice American modellers out there who would be willing to post one to a Brit if I Paypal'd them the cost of the kit and normal postage, please?

Homebee, are you back at Waddo these days?

Cheers

Radar

Have you considered the Welsh Models RC-135 as an alternative?  

The kit contains a relatively unintimidating two part vac-form fuselage and all of its other major components are resin and the detail parts are white metal.

Tempting link here

Vlamgat9,

I took your advice and have ordered the Minicraft KC-135R from Amazon.com, it is coming from the States so is not cheap. Also I have ordered Welsh Models CV 23 the RAF Rivet Joint conversion set to modify the Minincraft kit, again not particularly cheap! The Welsh Models set has arrived but the instructions are a bit vague as to which resin blisters go where! Has anyone ever done this conversion already here on Britmodeller (or anywhere else on the web for that matter) as it looks like this is not going to be an easy conversion and I could do with some tips and photos.

Please can anyone help?

Thanks 

Ian

Something else has just occurred to me, the new Minicraft KC-135R kit is going to have horizontal stabilzers that are too small as the EC-135's were all fitted with the larger Boeing 707 stabilizers I have read. Can anyone confirm this for me please. If true then that scuppers the conversion I guess.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/03/2017 at 5:26 AM, Radar said:

Something else has just occurred to me, the new Minicraft KC-135R kit is going to have horizontal stabilzers that are too small as the EC-135's were all fitted with the larger Boeing 707 stabilizers I have read. Can anyone confirm this for me please. If true then that scuppers the conversion I guess.

Ian, I believe when the KC-135As were converted to Es they all received the B707 stabs. As the Rs were updated Es then they would have the larger stabs.

• Homebee changed the title to 1/144 - Boeing KC-135A/R Stratotanker & EC-135C "Looking Glass" by Minicraft - released - new Academy boxing
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/144 - Boeing KC-135A/R Stratotanker & EC-135C "Looking Glass" by Minicraft - released - new Academy KC-135R boxing in 2024