1/144 - Lockheed C-130J-30/J & AC-130A Hercules by Minicraft - released - new Academy boxing

Homebee

That looks nice and will look forward to getting a couple of those. I'd like to do the early stretched RAF version, with the older style prop blades; anyone know where we could get those, without robbing a kit?

I've got the Braz extended fuselage conversion set but this would be so much easier to build.

Mike

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

New variant & boxing

- ref.14737 - Lockheed Martin C-130J Hercules

Source: https://minicraftmodels.com/products/14737-1-144-c-130j

14737_C-130J_3D_1024x1024.jpg?v=1501619529

- ref. 14742 - Lockheed Martin AC-130A Hercules gunship

Source: https://www.facebook.com/185803448203581/photos/pcb.1419170841533496/1419167628200484/?type=3&theater

Image may contain: text

V.P.

• Thanks 1

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 1:30 PM, Britman said:

Just looked on Amazon. .... £40!! What the ? Roden , there's an opportunity here(C5 aside) £25 - 27 would be more tolerable. 

£40??? Someone is having a giraffe!😕. Does not bode well for the forthcoming B-52D. The AC-130A is actually a reissue from 2009

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

• 6 years later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/144 - Lockheed C-130J-30/J & AC-130A Hercules by Minicraft - released - new Academy boxing
1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Has anyone built ir at least reviewed those kits? How do they faire?

Not seen any for now I think!

I'm partway though a stalled build of one of the Minicraft boxings. Overall, I don't think it's a very good kit, I don't have it here with me now to pull out and look at it, but from memory:

Fit is not very good, especially mating the wings to the fuselage. Expect to have to do a lot of cutting/grinding on the wing tabs to get them to line up correctly with the fuselage parts.

Similarly, if you want to build it with the ramp closed, you're in for a lot of work to try to get a good result, I want to say that there were some gaps greater than .5mm, but I could be wrong.

The clear parts didn't fit very well either, mine aren't glued in yet, but I wanted to say that they were going to need some pretty big shims to match up with the fuselage.

One of the most common squared off tail "stinger" is not represented in the kit.

For Minicraft at least, only the "J" model boxings had the extended gear sponsons, even though a huge number of earlier C-130s had it as well.

The engine nacelles on the four bladed prop versions are wrong at least, I don't know about the six bladed prop version. There was a resin correction set, perhaps from Brengun?

Here is an old thread on ARC that provides some more detailed descriptions of some accuracy problems:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/295573-1144-minicraft-c-130j-hercules-good-bad-or-indifferent-cant-seem-to-find-a-review-anywhere/

I think the best option might be to wait and see what the forthcoming GWH kit looks like.

Cheers,

Hoops

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1