1/48 - Focke-Wulf Fw.190V-18 by Hobby Boss - released

Homebee

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Fair warning to anyone considering this kit, it is missing the fairings around the exhaust pipes on the fuselage and upper wings. The plastic in the box is just like the test shot build up, not like the box art

15092502omochi89.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 08/09/2016 at 4:04 PM, Brewer said:

Fair warning to anyone considering this kit, it is missing the fairings around the exhaust pipes on the fuselage and upper wings. The plastic in the box is just like the test shot build up, not like the box art

Thanks for the heads-up. They've dropped a massive clanger there, and it's a deal-breaker for me. How they could omit something so fundamental beggars belief. Makes you wonder what the rest of it is like.

• 1 month later...
On 24/11/2016 at 18:18, Stashaholic Steve said:

Thanks for the heads-up. They've dropped a massive clanger there, and it's a deal-breaker for me. How they could omit something so fundamental beggars belief. Makes you wonder what the rest of it is like.

Given that the general response to the HB Fw190's has been good, and that's on Hyperscale,   the basic airframe should be decent.  

But, yes, it's a very surprising omission.. especially as it's on the box art!

Creative models have the kit in their weekly offers at the moment though.

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/hobbyboss_148_fw_190_v18-p-44451.html

HTH

T

• Like 1

Not knowledgable on this aircraft and do not have a huge interest, however a good friend of mine is building one and he says that he has changed so many things and had to lots to bring it up to a GOOD representation of the original. 

This is what really frustrates me about many kits that are getting PUSHED out these days, they are sold as 'TYPE' but to even get close then the modeller needs to do so much work that it just make a mockery of it all, added to that a lot of them are NOT thrown out at rock bottom RRP's, a fair bit of $ or £ or whatever is asked for a model that is basically just PANTS.

Also then for a AM company to step in and make the conversion / correction parts often enough on these more esoteric subjects there is JUST not enough market, and believe me I know.

Ali

Edited by Ali62
grammer corection
  • Like 3

Doesnt look to bad built up but the fairing should be in the box, the details are very soft on the kit, the port side reinforcing place is missing around the horizontal stabiliser like they just forgot to put it on the tooling, lots of panel lines end nowhere as if they didnt finish panel engraving before releasing the kit, all in all a big disapointment

PvZ0DdB.jpg?1

• Like 1

On 6/1/2017 at 7:52 PM, Troy Smith said:

Given that the general response to the HB Fw190's has been good, and that's on Hyperscale,   the basic airframe should be decent.  

But, yes, it's a very surprising omission.. especially as it's on the box art!

Creative models have the kit in their weekly offers at the moment though.

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/hobbyboss_148_fw_190_v18-p-44451.html

HTH

T

I painted this box art of this kit and i use photos of the real machine as a lead!! Now....why Hobby Boss did not include  the fairings around the exhaust pipes....i do not know!! I suppose the kit designer can answer that!!! Thanks for the comments....all the best for the new year!!!

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

@Brewer, @Homebee, @Troy Smith,

One of my very favorite Fw-190 conversions! I did one many, many years ago by crosskitting an Fw-190D-9 and Ta-152, along with scratch building the turbocharger housing, oil cooler, exhausts, and  prop blades. I used plasticard for the guard/fairing above the exhaust pipes, but that was not accurate, but as close as I could get from the references available to me at the time.

Having said that, and with the much better references I have on that variant now, I have a suggestion for how to do the fairings on the 1/48 kit; I will most likely use the same method on the new-tool 1/72 MPM kit,72033, that I have, as the D-9 I used for my original conversion was the Lindberg Fw-190D-9 mated to a Frog Ta-152 fin/rudder/stabilizers and Airfix Ju-88 cowling.  I know, I know, but I did the conversion back in the 70's and there weren't better alternatives.

I am thinking you could use lead foil for the fairings.  You might have to fold a sheet over on itself, depending upon how thick the foil you are able to obtain is. It will be easy to emboss rivets and panel lines, and you can bend it over a suitable mandrel shape to get the correct curvature. Make a template with the correct shape of the fairing first, then cut the foil to the correct shape. Attach with cyanoacrylate. Another possibility would be to make the fairing out of laminations of masking tape, cut to shape, and applied to the model; the sticky part of the tape fairing would adhere to the fuselage and to the top of the exhaust pipes. In 1/72 scale, I think this might be the way I will go when I do GH+KT or CF+OY. Just a thought- looking forward to seeing your RFI photos, as it's a handsome Wurger!

Mike

Good photo showing how the fairing/heat shield fits over the exhaust pipe.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/291959988325726128/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/291959988325726128/