Spitfire Protoype.

stevej60

Hi folks, I have just checked in on Ben,s excellent Spitfire prototype build from the 1/72 Mk1 and I have an ancient Hasegawa

kit for a future project,but would the new tool 1/48 tooling be to difficult to convert and what would the basic changes be for a

reasonable looking rendition?

More than fifteen years ago, I used TAMIYA Mk.I and PARAGON conversion with decals VENTURA for

reference I had the book The Spitfire story and a special edition of Aircraft Modeller Int where

special plans.with still some time to reach periodic literature.

spiti-5054-2.jpg

Now I have to stash Airfix new Mk.I and PARAGON with Xtradecal decals to try conversion

I hope that there will soon be a series of these in blue. Waiting alley cat resin while

waiting for the first of anodized aluminum Scheme.

P.k

• Like 5

Hi folks, I have just checked in on Ben,s excellent Spitfire prototype build from the 1/72 Mk1 and I have an ancient Hasegawa

kit for a future project,but would the new tool 1/48 tooling be to difficult to convert and what would the basic changes be for a

reasonable looking rendition?

Hi Steve

several threads on this in the Interwar section. I'll edit it if i can find them.

EDIT http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234946183-prototype-spitfire-k5054-cockpit-and-propeller-colour-questions/

note this has multiple links in it which should answer a lot of questions.

Changes, rescribe wings for the 'clinker' built look, new exhausts, changed radiator, new rudder, new wheels, canopy, some cockpit variations, new prop. There are more.

If your time is worth anything, and unless you like hacking and are handy at scratchbuilding, the Alleycat resin is the way to go.

If hacking is your way to go, I'd suggest picking up an old tool Airfix Vb, as this has an excellent basic shape and mostly raised panel lines, just sand off, rather than fill and rescribe, also if not much to lose if it goes wrong.

sadly the Paragon set is rather hard to find, as this covered the main scratchbuild bits.

HTH

• Like 1