USS Daniel Webter SSBN-626 Lafayette Class FBM Sub

This is the new Mikro-Mir kit of the USS Lafayette class FBM sub that I have converted to the one-off USS Daniel Webster SSBN-626.

Daniel Webster had the normally sail-mounted dive planes moved to a 'mini-sail' on the upper bow to try to solve some porpoising problems.

The system worked, but reduced top speed, so, during a later re-fit they were removed and restored to the sail position.

The conversion simply involved making a new mini-sail from plastic card and mounting it, with the kit dive planes, onto the bow....

350_USS%20Daniel%20Webster_11.jpg

The new configuration completely alters the look of the boat.....

350_USS%20Daniel%20Webster_12.jpg

......and resulted in her being nicknamed ''Old Funny Fins'.....

350_USS%20Daniel%20Webster_13.jpg

350_USS%20Daniel%20Webster_14.jpg

Close up of the home-made 'mini-sail'.......

350_USS%20Daniel%20Webster_15.jpg

The decals for Daniel Webster are included in the Mikro-Mir kit of the USS Lafayette - so I suspect that they will be releasing a kit of this boat eventually, but I couldn't wait. :coolio:

In fact, the Lafayette kit includes a great set of decals with pennant numbers and markings for all the FBM's in both the Lafayette and later James Maddison classes - as well as for early and late colour schemes.

I have another Lafayette kit to make as a 'normal' boat.....

Ken

PS - Some photos of the kit and construction here

• Like 11

It has always struck me as odd that US Navy nuclear subs since the Barbel class have all had the forward dive planes mounted on the sail.

I understand that it was to leave the bows 'clean' for the sonar array - and reduce noise inteference - but surely it meant that when diving, the forward dive planes were not effective until they were underwater.

Soviet and British nuclear subs always had them on the bows (where they were underwater and thus immediately effective) - and made retractable in some cases - so how did they manage it ????

The one exception I can think of is the Soviet Delta Clas - where they were sail-mounted.

The latest US Nuclear attack subs (Seawolf and Virginia Class) have done away with sail-mounting - finally, and years after the Soviets and Brits.

One other reason for not having them on the sail is to make it easier to break through the Arctic ice cap - they have to be turned vertical otherwise.

Interesting the different design choices....... the Daniel Webster solution looks like using a hammer to crack a walnut :analintruder:

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

It has always struck me as odd that US Navy nuclear subs since the Barbel class have all had the forward dive planes mounted on the sail.

I understand that it was to leave the bows 'clean' for the sonar array - and reduce noise inteference - but surely it meant that when diving, the forward dive planes were not effective until they were underwater.

Soviet and British nuclear subs always had them on the bows (where they were underwater and thus immediately effective) - and made retractable in some cases - so how did they manage it ????

The one exception I can think of is the Soviet Delta Clas - where they were sail-mounted.

The latest US Nuclear attack subs (Seawolf and Virginia Class) have done away with sail-mounting - finally, and years after the Soviets and Brits.

One other reason for not having them on the sail is to make it easier to break through the Arctic ice cap - they have to be turned vertical otherwise.

Interesting the different design choices....... the Daniel Webster solution looks like using a hammer to crack a walnut :analintruder:

Ken

It does seem odd but clearly they must have solved the noise problem. I always wandered that too that the planes would be useless till the boat is submerged. However I suppose dive times aren't as important aboard a nuclear boat. I'm still looking for weird and wonderful subs, my favourite is the Soviet Yankee specifically the notch, such a cool subject. Shame OKB arent selling them anymore

• 3 weeks later...

Believe the same guy, Boris Volkov, also sells on Ebay as "subsmodels". I can't remeber what I paid for my Mike SSN, but it was north of $100 around 2013 when purchased direct. Same or similar kits are going for $35 + 20 S/H via subsmodels on Ebay. But his listing are sporadic. Check it out.

Edited by Woodstock74

Thanks for the info Woodstock74.

Can you be a bit more specific about the Ebay website - maybe give us a link ???

I searched for 'subsmodels' and got plenty of hits for submarine models - but not the one you mentioned (I don't think ?)

Cheers

Ken