Airfix 1/72 AW Whitley Mk.V. Progress to 18th November.

VonkeyVong

A little progress made recently. I have now put the top of the fuselage on and assembled the tail.

I had to put some plasticard shims in the fuselage to correct its length at the front as it is to short and does not quite meet the back of the canopy or the back of the nose section of the fuselage.

1445016853700-1201927658_zpsovuu8lwl.jpg

A little filler will be required to the right of the door opening.

1445017049228-12696110_zpsxxu6i5g5.jpg

And the tail assembly goes together well and looks fantastic, with the rudder and elevator parts being seperate, so I have posed the elevators in a position regularly seen in photos of the real thing.

14450169335621464025985_zps3x9nttvt.jpg

I didnt fancy masking the canopies on this one so I splashed out on a rather expensixe set of Eduard canopy masks which I now have and will start applying them this evening.

Matt.

• Like 9

Looking good,........keep up the great work. Mine is covered with filler as the fit was awful, especially with the rear fuselage and its joint with the forward fuselage,.. so maybe I`m at fault?

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Looking good,........keep up the great work. Mine is covered with filler as the fit was awful, especially with the rear fuselage and its joint with the forward fuselage,.. so maybe I`m at fault?

Cheers

Tony

It looks like a pretty trouble free build. I am looking forward to seeing some paint going on this.

Martin

Yes, if you take your time and just make sure you lign everything up and cement parts in the correct position it prety much clicks together. Admittedly I found the fuselage top chalanging so I held it in place with small spots of Cyano every inch or so before running plastic weld into the join. Once set I filed off the Cyano spots and gave the join a light sanding to achieve a great result.

Loving this kit and realy looking forward to my Shackieton landing on the door mat.

I started putting the Eduard masks on today and to be honest, for such an expensive set I am less than impressed. There are seven window masks that arent even on the set and the four on the underside dont fit, and I havent even started putting them on the main canopy or gun turrets yet :hmmm: .

Mr Eduard, you need to try harder please :thumbsdown:

DSC_1820_zpsi5wmynjk.jpg

DSC_1821_zps1ximvakp.jpg

Yeah, I've noticed that with some of Eduard's masking sets. I found the set for the Airfix Blenheim Mk I to be quite a bad fit around the upper canopy whilst the one for the Hasegawa Ki-67 wasn't great when it came to the blisters for the waist gunners. :thumbsdown:

The Whitley looks good though! :coolio:

Mike.

Edited by MikeR
  • Like 1

Yeah, I've noticed that with some of Eduard's masking sets. I found the set for the Airfix Blenheim Mk I to be quite a bad fit around the upper canopy whilst the one for the Hasegawa Ki-67 wasn't great when it came to the blisters for the waist gunners. :thumbsdown:

The Whitley looks good though! :coolio:

Mike.

This is only the second time I have resorted to using a custom mask set as I usualy cut my own masks. The reason I wanted to use it on this model is because of all the small windows down the fuselage. As it happens they have managed to miss the four small windows at the tail which are going to be difficult to mask and it looks like I may just go back to glasing small windows with 'Micro Krystal Klear'. Still not impressed with Mr Eduard so I have sent their customer support a message letting them know the short comings of the set, and asked if they can send me another set as I can make up part of the short fall with things that I have already used from my set.

The kit is nice though Mike.

Thanks,

Matt.

• Like 1

Bad news about the masking set, t would be interesting to hear what Eduard have to say about it as I am beginning to get a bit worried that quantity is beginning to win out over quality with some of their accessory sets.

Martin

• Like 1

Good news about the masks. A very nice lady at Eduard took my report and passed it on to the design team, they realised that they have made a mistake and are going to redesign the sheet. Once this is done they will send me the missing masks.

Hopefully it wont be too long as I want to get this one finished and in the display cabinet.

Matt.

• Like 2

Good news about the masks. A very nice lady at Eduard took my report and passed it on to the design team, they realised that they have made a mistake and are going to redesign the sheet. Once this is done they will send me the missing masks.

Hopefully it wont be too long as I want to get this one finished and in the display cabinet.

Matt.

Well done, though I feel like a chump for having already bought my mask.

• Like 1

I've been using Maskol for the side windows on the Stirling, works well too and much faster to apply!

Looking forwards to seeing more progress :)

I have always found that just using masking fluid doesn't give a sharp edge when removed leaving a scruffy appearance, so I only use it to fill in the middle where I have masked around the edge with tape first. I may use it this time though to make up for the missing windows which I can not do with tape.

Matt.

I have always found that just using masking fluid doesn't give a sharp edge when removed leaving a scruffy appearance, so I only use it to fill in the middle where I have masked around the edge with tape first. I may use it this time though to make up for the missing windows which I can not do with tape.

Matt.

I've found that too when applying on a flat surface sometimes, but for the narrow windows along the sides, there is an edge for the maksol to flow against. I removed the maskol I applied when priming the fuselage to check for any problems, but was surprised how neat the windows looked, so they've now been remasked in the same way ready for the colour paint.

• Like 2

I've found that too when applying on a flat surface sometimes, but for the narrow windows along the sides, there is an edge for the maksol to flow against. I removed the maskol I applied when priming the fuselage to check for any problems, but was surprised how neat the windows looked, so they've now been remasked in the same way ready for the colour paint.

Sounds good, I will give it a try some time.

Matt.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I have got a lot done since my last post and the model is now 90% finished. All that remains to be done is to paint and attach the undercarriage, propellers, doors, ladders, wheels and make a radio antenna. I will then finish it up with some final detail painting and weathering.

I have taken some not particularly good pictures this evening and I will try to take some better ones in day light.

1447879421288-535704465_zpsp4vd0ruy.jpg

1447879658044-1775406842_zps43sviuey.jpg

1447879545337-143225040_zps5np3hipw.jpg

Just waiting for it stop raining so I can take it back to the workshop.

Matt.

• Like 10

Great job,...it looks great!

When I did my 1940 Whitley the references revealed that it had fin stripes on both sides,..... so it might be worthwhile double checking to see if it was still the case later in the war?

Cheers

Tony

Great job,...it looks great!

When I did my 1940 Whitley the references revealed that it had fin stripes on both sides,..... so it might be worthwhile double checking to see if it was still the case later in the war?

Cheers

Tony

Good call Tony, I hadnt given it any thought as there are only the pair on the Xtradecal sheet. I will see what there is in the spares box.

Matt.

She is looking rather nice, looking forward to seeing her finished.

Martin

Thanks Martin, it will be nice to finish it and get another bomber on the go. I quite fancy tackling a Halifax next.

Matt.