Boeing/Airbus grey

Rybeast

Tried to get the FS number for Halfords who were unable to find this colour on their system.

Settled on Dove Grey spray from Halfords, but then realised someone had mentioned Grey Racking also.

Is Dove Grey an acceptable colour for the grey?

I use Dove Grey almost exclusively for my airliner builds.

It has been said it's a little too 'brown' in some circles, but to my eye it looks fine.

It's also important to remember that when an aircraft has been in service for a while the colours can change hue quite dramatically in some cases, and various lighting conditions can make an aircraft look one colour one day and another the next.

Racking grey is from their enamel range, and I think is too dark for Airbus or Boeing grey. It's more of an Air Mobility Grey than that seen on civil airliners.

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

• 2 months later...

I happened to come across this old thread today while I was looking for something else.

It all comes down to colour perception which can vary significantly between individuals but having used both Dove Grey and Racking Grey, Dove Grey is definitely too brownish to my eyes.

The general consensus seems to be that the best match for Boeing Grey is Canadian Voodoo Grey FS16515. Racking Grey matches Xtracolor Voodoo Grey (X150) so closely that you can use the Xtracolor paint for brush touch-ups which is good enough for me.

As for Airbus Grey, I'm still working through a stock of X359 but Ray Charles of 26 Decals recommends a paint by Holts: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234989324-airbus-grey/?hl=airbus