Station Commander's Inspection

My first attempt at a vignette- Spitfire 1a of No. 92 (East India) Squadron at RAF Biggin Hill, November 1940

IMG_8851_zpsy9ojjdip.jpg

IMG_8852_zpscw8ci87q.jpg

IMG_8857_zpsse3er01i.jpg

IMG_8850_zps97xbh8rv.jpg

IMG_8855_zpsbnjsey4t.jpg

Spitfire is by Airfix, Austin 8 is by ACE, figures are by Airfix, base is home made (all in 1/72)

Edited by Marvel Onkey
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of you diorama. However, if I may? I think you could have better laid out the items which consist it. The Spitfire is stuck back in the corner, almost falling off the base. The cyclist to its left should/could be better positioned paralele to the edge of the conctete hardstanding. Which, Incidently I think you may have over empisisized the calking and the weed encroachment. Similarly pull the staff car closer to the Spitty, everything is on the parimeter of the base. It's not homogenoues You need if I can say to look more closely at the composition of the diorama and the items within it. In other words liek a painting or photograph there needs to be a point of focus, which at present you don't have. Sorry, this is meant to be constructive not destructive chritisism.

I hope this is helpful?

Colin

• Like 1

Thanks- I see exactly what you mean about a focal point- I'll think about that with the next one.

The joints between the concrete slabs turned out to be a bit of a 'mare. I tried to make it have a bit of texture like bitumen would, but it didn't really come off. Next time I think I'll just put a spot of weathering powder in the paint.

Thanks- I think figure painting is my favourite bit- I'm particularly pleased with the Station Commander's moustache (I have no idea whether the Station Commander had a 'tache, I just decided not to let research get in my way there).

• Like 2