1/48 Folland Gnat

Hi All, Here are a few pics of the JP's playmate the excellent 1/48 Gnat from Airfix. No problems at all putting it together and I have another one put away! Paints are Revell Aqua 99 aluminium and 25 Luminous Orange both thinned with water and a dash of Flow Improver.

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

Hope you like this one as much as the nice comments on the JP! yours MODeller

• Like 28

• 4 weeks later...

Gorgeous in that colour scheme! Tell me, if you would. Flow improver? What do you use?

Hi Seadog the flow improver that I use is Windsor and Newton Galeria Acrylic Flow Improver, this slows down paint drying on the tip of the airbrush and in the nozzle which will stop the spraying session. Every time I open a new pot of Acrylic paint I add around 1ml to it and then put a red spot on the lid so I know it has been treated. I also add one drop of washing up liquid as well (breaks surface tension of paint) but that is a trade secret !

Please note that I only use acrylics than happily thin with water which is nice and cheap and do not do any more damage to my lungs!

I buy my Flow Improver from Hobbycraft but any art shop should stock it. MODeller

Very nice - especially the dayglo bits :)

Hi Mike , I find that Revell Aqua 36125 Luminous Orange to be superb (thinned with water) and have even brush painted small areas with no problems, funny thing is it smells exactly like the Humbrol enamel Fire Orange! MODeller

Hi Seadog the flow improver that I use is Windsor and Newton Galeria Acrylic Flow Improver, this slows down paint drying on the tip of the airbrush and in the nozzle which will stop the spraying session. Every time I open a new pot of Acrylic paint I add around 1ml to it and then put a red spot on the lid so I know it has been treated. I also add one drop of washing up liquid as well (breaks surface tension of paint) but that is a trade secret !

Please note that I only use acrylics than happily thin with water which is nice and cheap and do not do any more damage to my lungs!

I buy my Flow Improver from Hobbycraft but any art shop should stock it. MODeller

Thanks. No model shops I've yet found on the Isle of Wight (moved here in May) but the local art supply shop has the galeria range - picked up some of their matt varnish which seems to go on well. I prefer to use acrylics whenever I can as well, and hadn't thought of using a flow improver before, just dilute with alcohol! Whose acrylics do you use? Whatever I use has to come by mail order...

Best,

F

Thanks. No model shops I've yet found on the Isle of Wight (moved here in May) but the local art supply shop has the galeria range - picked up some of their matt varnish which seems to go on well. I prefer to use acrylics whenever I can as well, and hadn't thought of using a flow improver before, just dilute with alcohol! Whose acrylics do you use? Whatever I use has to come by mail order...

Best,

F

Hi Seadog, I only use acrylics that will thin with water as I work indoors and have COPD. The best range I have tried is the Mr Hobby Aqueous one which are now re- appearing in the UK but they do niff a bit so I stick to Revell Aqua, Humbrol Acrylics and Xtracrylics , these are all stocked by Wonderland Models (Edinburgh) but if you buy in bulk the postage is reasonable. I have the cheap Expo spraybooth and now use a 3M 06941 dust mask which has a carbon filter inside that removes any nasties. MODeller

Hi Seadog, I only use acrylics that will thin with water as I work indoors and have COPD. The best range I have tried is the Mr Hobby Aqueous one which are now re- appearing in the UK but they do niff a bit so I stick to Revell Aqua, Humbrol Acrylics and Xtracrylics , these are all stocked by Wonderland Models (Edinburgh) but if you buy in bulk the postage is reasonable. I have the cheap Expo spraybooth and now use a 3M 06941 dust mask which has a carbon filter inside that removes any nasties. MODeller

I have asthma, so I know what you mean. A good respirator is pretty essential. Have to admit that I didn't know that Revell did acrylics! I've used Xtracrylics before and they seem pretty good. Never had a Spray booth, but perhaps I should think seriously about it, my lungs certainly aren't getting better as I age...

F