Sopwith Baby

AMStreet

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of a set of plans for a Sopwith Baby? Apart from the Harleyford's "Fighter Aircraft of the 1914-1916 War.

I note that Albatros Publications have a mini-monograph on the Tabloid which may be of use but nothing for the Baby.

I have a vague recollection that there was an article in one of the modelling mags from many years ago but cannot find any references. I do have a fair collection of same so if anyone does know where it was published I can probably dig it out.

Thanks

The article you referred to is most likely to be written by Alan Hall and was published in the Nov 69 issue of the Airfix mag. It uses an Airfix 504 as the donor kit and is 1/72. It involves a lot of cutting and filling but is do-able. A couple of years ago I used a Revell Sopwith Triplane fuselage and Airfix Camel wings as the basis of a Baby conversion. With hindsight Sopwith Pup wings would be better but I felt it was an easier method to get a Baby. The build was posted on this forum under Sopwith Baby.

HTH

Steve

Hi AMstreet, I Have a copy of the Windsock Datafile on the Sopwith Baby, this has scale drawings in 1/72 and 1/48 scale, will try to scan and send to you if i can work out how to do so, as i'm a newbee to this. I have converted an Airfix Sopwith Pup into a Port Victoria P.V 1, which was a modified Baby.

Thanks to all who have replied. :winkgrin:

stevehed, thanks for the reference. I do have a copy of that Airfix mag, so I will look it out.

grainman59, send me a pm and we will try and sort something out. Having a more detailed plan will certainly be of help.

GrzeM, That is a super build and puts my fumbling efforts to shame. In fact I'm not sure whether I want to do this type now with such a high standard to aim at!

As for conversions versus scratchbuilding I am in two minds. Yes, with a conversion you have something to start with and it may be easier but with a scratchbuild you have the chance to make something unique, to your own taste, and without compromise. I'll take a look and see which one is best for me. I have a lot of Pup kits and if I can get rid of the ribs it may well be that I combine the two approaches, scratchbuilt fuselage and converted wings.

Thanks again.